In an insurance claim, if the insurance company and insured have employed adjusters but still cannot agree on the value of the claim, they may elect to use the appraisal process. Most insurance contracts contain provisions allowing either party to make a written demand for appraisal. During appraisal, each party selects an independent appraiser and both parties must select a neutral umpire to help negotiate and come to a final decision. If the parties are unable to agree upon an umpire, a circuit court judge can select an umpire for them.

The appraisal process is a type of informal, alternative dispute resolution with some similarities to mediation. However, unlike mediation where the mediator does not make the final decision, the umpire has the authority to make a binding final decision if there is a majority agreement (of the umpire and one of the two appraisers). If the insured or insurance company disagrees with the umpire’s decision, under certain limited circumstances a party can challenge the decision and seek reconsideration in court.

If you are a Florida public adjuster in need of assistance during the umpire process, the law firm of Anidjar & Levine, P.A. can help. Our experienced attorneys can assist you with any necessary research and investigation, prepare your client for the umpire process, and attend the appraisal itself. In difficult cases, having an attorney who is familiar with the Florida insurance claims process is crucial in resolving your claim as quickly and effectively as possible. Our firm has extensive experience handling insurance claims and has built an impressive record of success for clients throughout the state of Florida. We are dedicated to providing the utmost in professional, honest and effective legal representation.

If you are a public adjuster and require legal assistance with a client’s umpire process, call Anidjar & Levine, P.A. today. You can schedule a free, no-obligation initial consultation with an experienced South Florida insurance attorney by calling 800-747-3733 or fill out and submit our online “Contact Us” form.