Determining who is liable for your damages after a Fort Lauderdale bus accident and how to go about recovering these damages is a much more complex process than in a typical car accident. You may be facing serious pain and medical bills—and we can help you seek the financial recovery you need.
The bus accident attorneys from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine offer free case evaluations for crash victims. We can help you understand your options for filing a liability claim if you suffered serious injuries. We can pursue an injury case against an individual driver, a private company, or a government agency.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Fort Lauderdale, call (800) 747-3733
Recoverable Damages After a Fort Lauderdale Bus Accident
Florida has a no-fault auto insurance system in place, so you may only be able to recover compensation from your own personal injury protection (PIP) policy. If you suffered serious injuries, however, a bus accident lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL, can help you pursue additional compensation.
Depending on the details of your case, there may be a range of damages available to you.
Damages from Your PIP Coverage
The first place you turn after any Florida motor vehicle accident is always to your own no-fault insurance policy. If you acted negligently and caused the bus to collide with your car, this policy may offer the only damages you can recover. If you suffered only minor or moderate injuries, you might not be able to recover any additional compensation.
Your PIP coverage should pay for:
- A limited amount of medical coverage for non-emergency medical care
- Up to the policy limits for emergency medical care
- A portion of your lost wages related to the accident
Damages from a Third-Party Liability Insurance Claim or Lawsuit
If you meet Florida’s serious injury threshold or another exception to the no-fault laws, you may be eligible to pursue damages through a third-party liability claim or personal injury lawsuit against the party that is liable for the crash.
The damages available from these actions include:
- Any outstanding medical bills
- Future or ongoing care costs
- Lost wages and future lost income
- Future lost benefits if you cannot return to work
- Property damage, including repair or replacement of your vehicle
- Miscellaneous out-of-pocket costs
- Pain and suffering
Fort Lauderdale Bus Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 747-3733
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can Handle Your Bus Accident Case
After you’ve been in an accident, you may not wish to spend energy gathering your medical records, speaking with the insurance companies, and negotiating a settlement. We can do all of these things for you. We will also:
- Help you understand what your case may be worth
- Advise you on when to accept a settlement offer
- Gather compelling evidence to prove negligence and your losses
- Determine the appropriate liable party in your case
- File an insurance claim or lawsuit for you
- Litigate in a civil court trial, if necessary
- Ensure your case complies with relevant state laws, such as the deadline to file a lawsuit per Florida Statutes §95.11(3)(a)
What will it Cost to Work with a Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale?
You may wonder if it’s worth hiring a personal injury lawyer to help you pursue your case—and you may wonder if you can afford legal representation. We don’t want these concerns to prevent you from getting the help you need.
Instead, we can take your case on a contingency-fee-basis. This means that:
- You owe us no upfront fees to get started with a case.
- You only pay us if we collect compensation on your behalf.
- We will agree on a percentage-based fee for our services, which we will discuss at the onset of your case.
You don’t have to wait to get started. Call us to learn more about our contingency-based services.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine?
Our team will go the extra mile for you and for your results. Some of the reasons why you may want to consider working with our injury lawyers include:
- We offer free case reviews any time, 24/7.
- You can receive your attorney’s phone number to ask questions as your case progresses.
- If you need help getting your car fixed, we will help make these arrangements.
Our past clients had these things to say about us:
- “What unbelievable professionalism. If you have to hire an attorney to represent you during a difficult time, there is no other choice than Anidjar and Levine. Everyone I dealt with was great.” – Charles L.
- “I have nothing but good things to say about the Law Firm of Anidjar & Levine… I am very happy with how they handled my car accident case and with the results.” – Sonia G.
Exploring Liability in a Fort Lauderdale Bus Accident Case
Because a bus accident can encompass a wide variety of different scenarios, there is no single way to handle this type of case. Different laws apply depending on who caused the accident, who owned and operated the bus, and a number of other factors.
If Another Motorist Caused the Bus Accident
No matter if you were on the bus or driving your own vehicle, you can hold another motorist responsible if they caused a bus accident, and you suffered serious injuries. We can help you file a third-party liability insurance claim based on their auto insurance policy or file a personal injury lawsuit against them.
If a Bus Driver Working for a Private Company Caused the Accident
If a bus driver working for a private tour company or other private entity caused your accident and serious injuries, the legal doctrine of vicarious liability goes into effect.
This doctrine allows us to hold the driver’s employer liable for their negligent acts and the damages you suffered. We can file a third-party liability claim based on the company’s liability policy or file a lawsuit against the company.
If a Bus Driver Working for a Public Entity Caused the Accident
When the bus driver who caused the accident works for a government agency—such as Broward County Transit or a local school system—sovereign immunity applies to your case.
State sovereign immunity laws protect government agencies from facing lawsuits in many cases and limit the amount of compensation available after this type of crash. Per Florida Statutes §768.28, the law limits the payout after a bus crash to:
- $200,000 per person
- $300,000 per accident
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Proving Negligence and Liability in a Florida Bus Accident
There are a number of common reasons why bus accidents occur. We need to investigate your accident to understand what happened, who acted negligently, and who is liable. We enlist the help of accident reconstruction specialists and other experts, as well as utilize our own knowledgeable team, to get to the bottom of what caused your crash.
Some of the most common reasons we see bus drivers cause accidents include:
- Speeding, often to keep on schedule
- Distracted driving
- Careless acts, such as running red lights
- Driving carelessly in rain or other inclement weather
- Drowsy driving
- Misjudging turns on roads not designed for buses
- Mechanical failure because of poor maintenance
Once we understand how negligence caused your accident, we can file an insurance claim with the liable party. Often, we can negotiate a fair settlement amount with the insurance company or bus company’s legal team without needing to litigate the case.
The Florida Statute of Limitations Restricts Your Time to File Suit
While we prefer to act quickly because it helps us build a stronger case on your behalf, Florida law gives us four years to file a lawsuit against a private motorist or bus company in a bus accident case.
The process is different, however, when the liable party is a government agency. The deadline to take action is much shorter, so it is important to contact us as soon as possible for help with this type of claim.
Get Help Today for Your Bus Accident Case in Fort Lauderdale
If you suffered serious injuries in a Fort Lauderdale bus accident, the attorneys from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can help you understand your legal options for compensation.
Call someone from our team today for your free evaluation and consultation.