Garbage trucks play an essential role in our daily infrastructure, allowing for the removal of various types of waste. But sometimes large vehicles like garbage trucks can be dangerous, leading to accidents that can cause injury, property loss, and other types of suffering. If you are the victim of an accident involving a garbage truck, you may have legal options available and, depending on your case, you may even be eligible for financial compensation. If you are interested in learning more about how to file a claim, a Miami garbage truck lawyer can help. Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, and a team member can answer your questions during a free case review. Call 1-800-747-3733 today for more information.
Why Garbage Trucks Are Dangerous
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), large vehicles such as garbage trucks were involved in more than 4,000 fatal accidents in 2016 alone. This same study reported that nearly 180,000 individuals were injured in crashes involving garbage trucks and other large vehicles. It is easy to see from these alarming statistics that large vehicles such as garbage trucks are very dangerous, for reasons such as:
- Specialty Equipment: Garbage trucks are equipped with specialized equipment that can be powerful and dangerous if it is misused or if there is a mechanical issue. Even for experienced operators, malfunctioning equipment can be very hazardous and could lead to accidents.
- Improper Training: Most large vehicles, such as garbage trucks, have strict guidelines regarding who is legally allowed to operate them. Sometimes these rules are broken, and inexperienced or unfit drivers and operators could end up on a truck. There is also a learning curve to working on a garbage truck, and newer employees could make mistakes that lead to injury, property loss, or even death. If an employee is knowingly unfit or poorly trained, this could be a form of negligence punishable by law. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that there are guidelines regarding safe use and operation of refuse vehicles, and failure by a governing agency or employees to adhere to these guidelines puts you at risk.
- Potential for High Impact Crashes: Large vehicles tend to be very heavy and can lead to a forceful impact in accidents. Sometimes large vehicles like garbage trucks strike smaller vehicles, and the resulting damage can be devastating.
If you or a loved one were injured in a garbage truck accident, understanding the potential causes for your accident can help you determine if another party is liable, and if you might have grounds for legal action.
Common Causes of Garbage Truck Accidents
There are many ways in which you can experience a garbage truck accident. You could be an employee operating the vehicle or working on the truck’s rear end, a pedestrian, a driver of another vehicle on the road, or involved in another capacity. Although each situation is different, it is possible that your garbage truck accident was caused by one of the following:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Vehicle or equipment malfunctions
- Driver error
- Failure to inspect a vehicle in a timely or appropriate manner
- Poor weather conditions
- Unforeseen hazards on the road
- Improperly trained employees
Regardless of what caused your accident, you may be suffering in many different ways.
The Aftermath of a Garbage Truck Accident
Being the victim of a garbage truck accident can negatively impact your life and cause many different types of suffering including physical injuries, emotional trauma, and financial hardship.
Physical injuries from garbage truck accidents can be minor or severe. In tragic cases, a garbage truck accident can be fatal. Many victims of garbage truck accidents also experience emotional suffering in the aftermath of such a traumatic event. Accidents can also take a financial toll on your life and budget, with the potential for medical bills, property loss, and more.
If you are interested in discussing your case with a Miami garbage truck lawyer who can help evaluate your options, call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1-800-747-3733 today before it is too late. They can give you more information on how you can begin your journey towards justice and recovery.
Garbage truck accidents can cause you hardship in many different ways. Some victims choose to take legal action to pursue justice and compensation. If you are successful in taking legal action against the responsible party, you could be entitled to various forms of compensation, including but not limited to the following:
- Reimbursement for legal fees incurred during your fight for justice
- Reimbursement for medical expenses related to your garbage truck accident
- Punitive damages
- Compensation for pain, suffering, and emotional trauma
- Compensation for wrongful death in tragic cases
- Much more
Every situation is different; therefore, if you are exploring your legal options, speaking with a team of legal professionals could be beneficial before deciding if filing a claim is right for you. The good news is that there is a Miami garbage truck lawyer available to help.
Exploring Your Legal Options
The aftermath of a traumatic event such as a garbage truck accident can be very challenging. You could be struggling in many different ways, and while focusing on your recovery is the most important thing you can do, remember that you have the legal right to take action against those who caused your hardship. If you would like to learn more about the options available to you and your loved ones during this difficult time, call 1-800-747-3733, and a team member with the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine will field your questions and walk you through the process to learn more today.
We Can Help.