Car accidents of any kind are traumatic. When you throw in a tractor-trailer weighing thousands of pounds, a scary situation can turn devastating. Accidents involving tractor-trailers are far more complicated than the average personal injury case.
If you have been injured in a tractor-trailer accident, a St. Petersburg tractor-trailer accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can help.
Parties Involved in Tractor-Trailer Accidents
As mentioned above, tractor-trailer accidents generally have more parties involved. A traditional car wreck only involves two drivers (and their insurance companies). Tractor-trailer accidents can include:
- A trucking company
- A truck driver
- The truck manufacturer
- State and federal agencies
Because of the many involved parties, determining who is negligent in an accident can be complicated in these cases.
For a free legal consultation with a tractor-trailer accidents lawyer serving St. Petersburg, 800-747-3733
What Can Cause Tractor-trailer Accidents?
Like any other car wreck, tractor-trailer accidents can occur for various reasons. Some common causes of these devastating tractor-trailer accidents include:
- Fatigued Driver. Truck drivers are often pressured to work long hours and meet tight deadlines. Combining these factors often leads to a driver who is not as alert as they should be.
- Unsafe Road Conditions. A sudden downpour of rain or snow or a patch of ice can cause a tractor-trailer driver to lose control of their vehicle.
- Impaired Driver. Unfortunately, all too often, tractor-trailer drivers are impaired from drug or alcohol use.
- Inexperienced Driver. There is no substitute for experience on the road. New drivers are often more nervous and less comfortable. Because of this, they are more likely to cause an accident.
- Speeding or Driving Recklessly. Due to the pressures placed on tractor-trailer drivers, they are often in a hurry. To meet deadlines, drivers may drive unsafely or at dangerous speeds.
- Equipment Issues. Tractor-trailers are large, complicated vehicles, and they must be maintained regularly. If a tractor-trailer is not well maintained, this can lead to issues for the driver and, unfortunately, dangerous accidents.
It is safe to assume that no truck driver wants to cause an accident. Despite this, accidents do happen. And the aftermath is often catastrophic for victims. If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence of a tractor-trailer driver, a St. Petersburg tractor-trailer accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can help you recover compensation.
St. PetersburgTractor-Trailer Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-747-3733
Potential Mistakes to Avoid After a Tractor-trailer Accident
You are likely to be anxious following an accident, but do your best to keep as clear-headed as possible. The moments following an accident can often have a huge effect on the aftermath, including your right to compensation.
The following mistakes can cost a tractor-trailer accident victim significant compensation:
- Leave the Scene. Call the emergency number immediately. When police and EMT personnel arrive, ensure that they assess your injuries.
- Apologize or Acknowledge Responsibility. Victims are often shaken up and will apologize, trying to make others feel better. This can cost you significantly down the line. Remember that anything you say can be used against you if your case ends up in court.
- Ignore Injuries. Instead, have your potential injuries checked by a medical professional. Often following a wreck, victims have adrenaline pumping through their bodies. Sometimes injuries that seem minor are much more significant a few days later.
- Speak About the Accident to an Insurance Company. If you are required to report the accident, do so. Otherwise, the best way to protect your rights is with a St. Petersburg tractor trailer accident lawyer.
- Accept the First Settlement Offer (either from the negligent party or their insurance company). These offers are tempting to accident victims who are ready to put the traumatic events behind them. However, they are rarely fair. Insurance companies want to pay victims as little as they possibly can.
- Forget to Collect Evidence. Photograph the scene. Be sure to obtain the driver’s insurance and employer information. Memories fade over time, so it is important to accumulate evidence to help prove your claim.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Identifying the Negligent Party
If you were injured in a tractor-trailer accident due to someone else’s negligent behavior, you are likely entitled to compensation. The next step is determining what party was negligent (and responsible for paying the damages). Negligence is a lack of due care. Identifying the negligent party is crucial for tractor-trailer accident cases.
Determining negligence in tractor-trailer accident cases can be complicated. In most circumstances, the driver or the trucking company may be found at fault. However, trucking companies carry insurance, of course, and often retain lawyers for these situations. This can complicate matters even further. In most cases, your attorney can identify the negligent party from the following:
- The Trucking Company – Florida law says that trucking companies can be held liable for the actions of their drivers. These companies hold a great deal of responsibility. They must train drivers appropriately, maintain their fleet of vehicles, and ensure that their drivers are up to standard. In some tractor-trailer accidents, the trucking company is found to be negligent.
- The Truck Driver – A driver can be found negligent for several reasons. If the driver was impaired in any way, driving recklessly or too fast, the driver might be considered at fault.
- Other Parties – In rare cases, other parties may be held liable. For example, if a third-party company maintained your attorney found the truck and that company to be out of compliance, you could find that third-party company to be negligent.
St. Petersburg Tractor-Trailer AccidentsYOU CAN TRUST US 800-747-3733
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine
Tractor-trailer accidents are not only traumatic; they are legally complex. The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine is available to answer your questions and help you pursue compensation. Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1-800-747-3733 for your free case review.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW