Car accidents are far too common in Miami, Florida. In a city where millions of people take to the streets at all times and congestion on roadways is expected on a daily basis, collisions are bound to occur. However, while some car accidents result in minor fender benders, others cause devastating physical harm to those involved in the crash, including debilitating knee injuries. In these instances, victims may be eligible to file a claim and recover compensation with the help of a Miami knee injury caused by a car accident lawyer.
If you or a loved one suffered a knee injury in a Miami car accident, the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine could help you explore your legal options and determine if you have grounds to file a personal injury case. Our firm handles all car accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t have to pay anything upfront (or ever) unless we obtain an award on your behalf. You have nothing to lose in scheduling a consultation, so call 1-800-747-3733 to speak to a member of our team today who can review your car accident details and determine your next steps.
For a free legal consultation with a knee injury lawyer serving Miami, call (800) 747-3733
Steps to Take After a Car Accident-Related Knee Injury in Miami
As a car accident victim who suffered a knee injury, you may be eligible for compensation. The severity of your injuries will determine if you qualify for damages and what those damages will cover. First, it’s important to obtain medical assistance, if you haven’t already done so, in order to determine the extent of your injury.
Miami Knee Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 747-3733
The Severity of Your Injuries
Knee injuries vary in severity, but the majority take at least a few months to heal. More extensive knee injuries, such as ACL or MCL tears, may require surgery. However, even those that do not leave a victim with a disability can require prolonged and costly physical therapy treatments.
You may qualify for awards if your car accident resulted in any of the following types of knee injuries:
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury: The ACL is one of the most important ligaments in the knee. It runs along the front of the knee and is responsible for maintaining knee stability. More often than not, an ACL injury will require surgery.
- Medial collateral ligament (MCL) Injury: The MCL helps prevent the leg from overextending. It runs along the side of the knee. MCL injuries are typically easier to recover from. However, they can be just as severe as ACL injuries and may also require surgery if the damage is extensive.
- Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) Injury: One of the strongest ligaments, the PCL, extends along the back of the knee and is also responsible for maintaining stabilization. This is a common car accident injury that occurs when the driver’s or passenger’s knee hits the dashboard, causing the shinbone to push against the ligament and ultimately tear.
- Torn Meniscus: Each knee has two cartilage pieces known as menisci that provide cushioning and stability for the knee. These injuries tend to resolve on their own or with the help of physical therapy, but in some severe cases, surgery may be required.
- Kneecap Fracture: Fractures to the knee cap are common after a car accident, especially when the impact occurred at a high velocity. These are serious injuries that can make it difficult or impossible to walk unless treated. A cast may be placed to hold the kneecap steady as it heals, but surgery may also be recommended.
What a Personal Injury Award May Cover
Typically, a personal injury award will provide victims with compensation for any medical costs, such as surgery, medication, physical therapy, and loss of income. If your knee injury was so severe that you must take an extended leave of absence from your job, are unable to regain full range of motion, or if your quality of life has been significantly diminished, you may also be compensated for future loss of income and be awarded compensatory damages for your current and future inconveniences, as well as general pain and suffering.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Seeking Compensation for a Knee Injury Caused by a Miami Car Accident
If your accident and consequent knee injury were caused by a negligent driver, you might be eligible for compensation. You may choose to procure damages from:
- Your own insurance provider
- The at-fault party’s insurance provider
- By filing a personal injury lawsuit
A Miami car accident lawyer can help you explore these options, determine comparative fault under Florida Statutes § 768.81, and decide the best course of action, depending on your individual circumstances.
File a Claim with Your Insurance Provider
As per the laws enacted by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), all state-registered vehicles must have the following auto insurance coverage:
- Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage: $10,000 minimum
- Property damage liability (PDL) coverage: $10,000 minimum
- Bodily injury liability (BIL) coverage: Optional, except when the automobile is registered as a taxi or rideshare vehicle, in which case, the driver must obtain coverage of $125,000 per person and $250,000 per accident.
If you have substantial BIL coverage through your own auto insurance, you may opt to file a claim directly with your provider. Some victims decide against this because they fear their insurance rates may increase. However, if you show substantial proof that the accident was caused by another driver’s negligence, this shouldn’t be a problem.
If your insurance provider attempts to deny your claim or raises your rates despite not being at fault, a Miami knee injury caused by a car accident lawyer can help you contest your provider’s decisions by submitting evidence of the accident scene, including police reports, witness testimonials, and medical documents.
File a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If your insurance company does not cover all of your losses, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit. An attorney can review your knee injury and determine if you can pursue your case in court.
Fight for Justice with the Help of a Car Accident Lawyer in Miami Today
You have a right to hire a Miami knee injury caused by a car accident lawyer to help you recover monetary damages. The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine is ready to help you fight for justice and awards after suffering a serious personal injury in an auto collision. Schedule a no-obligation consultation today with a member of our legal team by calling 1-800-747-3733.