If you have a knee injury caused by a car accident, fall, or another type of personal injury, you could seek compensation for your pain and suffering. It is difficult to determine what the average settlement for a knee injury might be since there are several mitigating factors.
A knee injury that prevents you from working, moving, or performing your daily activities could result in a higher settlement than one that causes little pain or impact on your life. However, there are exceptions.
- How Are Knee Injuries Valued?
- How Knee Injuries Can Be Caused By Negligence
- Major Types of Knee Injuries That Could Entitle Victims to Damages
- An Attorney Can Evaluate Your Knee Injury and Help You Seek Damages
- Damages That You Could Include in a Knee Injury Settlement
- You Deserve Responsive Legal Care for Your Knee Injury Case
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 747-3733
How Are Knee Injuries Valued?
Knee injuries range from minor bruises and sprains to serious conditions, including torn ligaments and bone fractures. If your knee injury resulted from someone’s negligence, you could be awarded compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
In general, the average knee injury settlement is influenced by the extent and severity of the injury. Other considerations include:
- If surgery (such as knee replacement) is required
- If you are under a doctor’s care
- If you cannot walk (temporary or permanent)
- If your injury prevents you from working
- If you need life care services for daily activities
- If both knees are affected
Along with physical pain, your emotional injuries should be considered. For example, a knee injury that prevents you from playing with your kids or enjoying your weekly golf game should be factored into a valuation of your damages.
How Knee Injuries Can Be Caused By Negligence
The most common reasons for knee injuries related to negligence include:
- Car accident
- Motorcycle accident
- Pedestrian accident
- Bicycle accident
- Slip and fall accidents
- Workplace accidents
When negligence plays a role in a knee injury, you may be entitled to compensation from the liable party. For example, if your meniscus (thick cartilage between the shinbone and thigh bone) is torn from a car accident that was not mainly your fault, you could recover compensation to help pay for your medical care.
Similarly, you may be entitled to damages from a property owner if your knee injury is related to a fall caused by dangerous premises.
Contact our lawyers today!
Major Types of Knee Injuries That Could Entitle Victims to Damages
Along with aging, the Mayo Clinic lists the following as the top four types of knee injuries:
- Fractures: You could have broken, fractured, or crushed (upon impact) your knee bones, including the kneecap in a car accident or a fall.
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury: You could have torn your ACL with a violent twisting motion.
- Torn meniscus: You could have torn the cartilage in your knee if it was suddenly twisted while bearing weight on it.
- Knee bursitis. Your knee injuries could be caused by inflammation and repeated kneeling or overuse.
Treatment for knee injuries ranges from icing to surgery.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
An Attorney Can Evaluate Your Knee Injury and Help You Seek Damages
Your knees are the largest and most complex joints in your body. When you injure your knee, your body may compensate by putting undue pressure on other parts of your body. This leads to even greater pain, loss of mobility, and the potential for long-term or permanent knee damage.
Insurance companies want to see verification of your knee injury and a written evaluation and prognosis from a licensed medical professional. A personal injury lawyer familiar with knee injuries can help you seek damages by building a case against the other party.
Collecting Evidence of Negligence Is Key to Seeking Damages
An attorney collects evidence that the other party is responsible for your injuries because they caused, created, or contributed to the accident or incident.
For example, if you have a torn ACL from a car accident, a personal injury lawyer could show how the other party caused the accident by failing to stop for a red light. This evidence might include photos, videos, witness statements, and police reports.
Damages That You Could Include in a Knee Injury Settlement
Damages for a knee injury cover both physical and emotional injuries and might include:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost pay
- Pain and suffering
- Lifecare costs
- Emotional trauma
Your attorney could first pursue damages by filing an insurance claim against the liable party. If this is not successful, they could go to court and seek a judgment.
You Deserve Responsive Legal Care for Your Knee Injury Case
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine will work hard to recover more than the average settlement for a knee injury for you or your loved one. We work on a contingency basis and do not get paid until you do. You have a limited time to file a personal injury lawsuit, so please call today for a free consultation.
You do not have to pay us by the hour, or in a lump sum at the beginning of our working relationship. We know you could be under financial stress right now, so we keep that in mind with our payment plan.