With ridesharing services like Uber becoming increasingly popular, accidents involving motorists and ridesharing drivers are a natural consequence. While you may know how to handle an accident with another motorist, you may wonder how to handle a claim involving a collision with a rideshare driver.
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine offer a free consultation to discuss whether you are entitled to compensation for an Uber and Lyft Rideshare accident. A lawyer from our firm can help you to better understand your rights and options.
For a free legal consultation with a rideshare accidents lawyer serving Fort Myers, call (800) 747-3733
Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accidents
The legal designation of drivers for Uber and Lyft as independent contractors means that most accidents require you to pursue damages and compensation directly from the driver’s auto insurance policy. However, in some cases, you may be able to collect compensation from the company the driver is working for, which is why contacting a Fort Myers Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer could be helpful, especially if you suffered severe injuries.
A Fort Myers Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer can pursue a variety of damages, including:
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Loss of consortium
- Vehicle replacement or repair costs
Since Florida practices comparative negligence under Florida Statutes § 768.81, you can collect damages even if you are partially at fault. Additionally, because Florida requires all vehicle owners to obtain personal injury protection (PIP) insurance under Florida Statutes § 627.736, you can collect up to $10,000 from your auto insurance provider for medical bills and lost wages resulting from injuries caused by the accident.
Fort Myers Rideshare Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 747-3733
Types of Damages You Can Collect
When you suffer damages or losses, you can file a personal injury claim to recover compensation from the other driver. There are two types of damages you can claim: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages consist of the actual costs you incurred and paid as a result of your accident. PIP insurance policies cover only economic damages and reimburse lost wages, transportation costs associated with medical appointments, and 80% of your medical bills. You must receive treatment for your injuries within 14 days of your accident to receive benefits from your PIP policy.
If you expect that your future medical bills will exceed what your PIP plan covers, you can pursue compensation for the extra costs from the liable party.
Another reason to seek assistance from a Fort Myers Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer is that non-economic damages are not capped in personal injury claims involving car accidents. Non-economic damages can consider factors such as:
- Your age
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether you sustained physical injuries, mental and emotional injuries, or a combination of both
- Whether you can engage in the benefits of marriage or parenthood
Specific examples of non-economic damages include pain and suffering, disability, disfigurement, and reduced quality of life.
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine are ready to discuss your potential claims during a free consultation.
When your accident involves an Uber or Lyft driver, the driver is likely the liable party. However, if Uber or Lyft hired a dangerous driver, such as one with a DUI conviction, you could have claims against the rideshare company. Discussing your claim with a Fort Myers Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer could help with filing your suit against all liable parties.
In rare cases, you may also be able to seek compensation from:
- An auto part manufacturer, if faulty brakes, steering column, or other part contributed to the accident
- A government agency, if the environment itself was hazardous and made accidents more likely
- Another driver, if a third vehicle was involved in the accident
Which of these parties can you seek compensation from, and how much can you expect to receive? That depends, among other things, on what exactly caused your accident. Contributing factors could include:
- Distracted driving (e.g., texting and driving)
- Ignoring traffic signs and signals
- Speeding and/or driving too fast for the conditions
- Following another car too closely
- Debris left on the road by a maintenance crew
- Brakes that do not work as intended
- Failing to take your car in for regular inspections and check-ups
Even if you think you know the accident’s cause, there may be other contributing factors you are unaware of. Our firm can look into your case to make sure you hold all liable parties accountable.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How We Help with Rideshare Accident Cases
Whether your case turns out to be simple or complex, legal representation can make it much easier for you to recover just compensation. A rideshare accident lawyer from our office can assist you with your case by:
- Investigating the accident to figure out who should pay your compensation
- Calculating the exact amount of compensation that will cover both your present and future needs
- Filing all of the paperwork necessary to start your case
- Speaking with the liable party and their insurance company on your behalf
- Meeting with all involved insurance companies to negotiate a fair settlement for you
- Taking your case to court, if for any reason it is not possible to recover damages from a pretrial settlement
We always go the extra mile for our clients. In addition to performing the tasks listed above, we can:
- Contact you promptly after every major development
- Give you your lawyer’s phone number so you can ask questions as they arise
- Evaluate your case at no risk or cost to you
- Schedule appointments with doctors, mechanics, and others, if you need help doing so
- Explain what your rights and options are at each stage of your case
- Defer attorney’s fees until after you win your case—and waive them entirely if we cannot get compensation for you
Wilnet E., a former personal injury client, described his experience with us this way: “I can honestly say that, they surpassed my expectation and made sure that I was compensated appropriately for my injuries that I sustained in a vehicle accident.”
This is our goal for every client: to leave them feeling cared for and satisfied and to ensure they get the money they need when they need it.
Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today
If you suffered injuries in a car accident, you can receive compensation. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today to schedule a free consultation and discuss how we can help you receive the compensation you deserve. We can pursue a rideshare service, a rideshare driver, or any other liable party.