In the event of a fuel truck accident, victims sustain severe injuries or even pass away due to the weight, size, and hazardous materials the truck is transporting. If you’ve been involved in such an accident, it’s essential to seek the services of a legal professional. A Hollywood fuel truck accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine could handle the details of your claim as you heal and return to normalcy.
Your lawyer will investigate and review evidence to determine liability, build your case, estimate the value of your injury claim, and negotiate with the insurer for the settlement amount you deserve.
Our Hollywood Fuel Truck Accident Lawyer Has Your Best Interests in Mind
Commercial trucks weighing 10,000 pounds or more are generally regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). However, all fuel trucks are regulated by FMSCA regardless of their weight or size due to the hazardous nature of the cargo they transport.
It helps to have one of our lawyers by your side after your fuel truck accident. You’re entitled to recover damages if the accident occurred due to the negligence of another party. If you handle the claim without legal representation, the insurance company is likely to offer minimum compensation or reject your claim. Having legal representation can help you get the settlement you deserve.
A lawyer levels the playing field against the trucking company by protecting your legal rights during the claim process and ensuring you receive a just settlement. The following are ways your lawyer will help with your fuel truck claim:
- Handle all aspects of your injury claim as you rest and recover
- Collect and review evidence such as accident reports, maintenance logs, and communication between the trucking company and the driver
- Determine if the fuel truck driver involved in your crash has a history of violating federal or state trucking regulations
- Investigate thoroughly the circumstances surrounding your truck accident
- Consult with credible truck accident experts to build a strong case
- Negotiate for fair compensation with the insurer on your behalf
Injuries Related to Fuel Truck Accidents
Since fuel trucks usually transport hazardous cargo, victims are likely to suffer from second and third-degree burns if an accident occurs. As with any accident associated with a huge commercial truck, occupants in passenger vehicles tend to suffer severe injuries or death.
Some common fuel truck accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Internal injuries
Causes of Fuel Truck Accidents
While various factors can cause fuel truck accidents, the following are the leading causes of these accidents:
- Driver Fatigue: Federal regulations limit a driver’s number of hours behind the wheel to avoid driver fatigue. Operating a truck requires a lot of care and focus. An exhausted driver can fall asleep while driving and has a reduced reaction time in an emergency.
- Speeding: It’s tough enough to control the trucks at low speeds. When the driver exceeds the speed limit, they can quickly lose control, causing a collision with other vehicles, fixed objects, and jackknife accidents.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: It’s a requirement for trucking companies to inspect and regularly maintain their fleets. A potential safety issue can easily be detected and fixed during maintenance to prevent something wrong from happening on the road. Unfortunately, sometimes trucking companies fail to prioritize maintenance, and it falls to the wayside leading to avoidable accidents, deaths, or injuries.
- Unsafe Stopping Distance: In the best of conditions, a big fuel truck transporting a full cargo will require 20-40 percent more stopping distance than a passenger car. If the road is slippery and the truck driver is speeding, it can take the driver more space and time to bring the truck to a stop. Failure to leave adequate stopping distance between vehicles often leads to collisions.
Who Is Liable for a Fuel Tuck Accident?
Several parties may be responsible when a fuel truck is involved in an accident on a Hollywood highway or road, including:
- The truck driver
- The company cargo loaders
- The trucking company
- The manufacturer of truck parts found to be defective
- The company hired to maintain the fuel trucks
Your lawyer will exhaustively investigate the circumstances leading to the accident to determine which party or parties may be liable.
Types of Recoverable Damages
Once you decide to file an injury claim after a fuel truck accident, your Hollywood fuel truck accident lawyer will work to build a legal case for the damages resulting from the accident. Personal injury damages can be put into three broad categories: economic, non-economic, and punitive.
Depending on the nature of your accident, the following list of damages may be available to you:
- Economic Damages: The purpose of awarding monetary damages is to compensate you for direct financial loss. To be eligible for economic damages, you must prove a connection between the injuries and the truck accident. Economic damages include past and expected future lost wages and medical bills (medication, transport to hospital, surgeries, doctors’ fees, tests, and laboratory work). Also, the expense of hiring someone to help with the duties you can no longer perform.
- Non-economic Damages: These are the damages you suffer after an accident but are not billed. It covers pain and suffering (mental and physical), physical impairment, and loss of enjoyment of life. Your spouse can also seek to recover the loss of consortium of the accident that affected your marital relationship. The nature of non-economic damages makes it challenging to prove. However, experts can assess and assign a monetary amount to them.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are awarded depending on the details of your case. These damages are applied to punish the party at fault if there was a deliberate intention to inflict harm. They also discourage others who may consider engaging in similar deeds.
Hire Our Fuel Truck Accident Lawyer Serving Broward County Today
If you were recently injured in a fuel truck accident in Hollywood, contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for immediate legal support. Our lawyers could guide you through the available legal options for recovery. We shall also provide you with regular case updates during the claim process. Call us today for a free initial case review.
We Can Help.