Large commercial trucks, such as fuel trucks, cause catastrophic accidents in the U.S. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), about 5,237 large trucks, including fuel tracks, were involved in fatal crashes in 2019, and 82% of the victims were not occupants of the large truck.
If you or a loved one was in a fuel truck accident due to another person’s negligence, you might have a right to pursue compensation. Our Palm Coast truck accident lawyers can review your case and discuss your legal options.
Our Palm Coast Fuel Truck Accident Lawyers Can Handle Your Case From Start to Finish
Due to the size and functions of these trucks, you can expect any accidents involving them to be severe. Fuel truck accidents sometimes include several other vehicles, road users, and liable parties. This can complicate the claiming process.
Since you are likely to incur several damages after a fuel truck accident, enlist the services of a lawyer who will help you recover maximum compensation for your injuries. Your lawyer will also teach you how to protect your claim and increase your chances of fair compensation. For the best outcome of your case, your lawyer will do the following:
- Give you advice on how to protect your claim
- Thoroughly investigate the case
- Review evidence
- Determine liability
- Work with experts
- Negotiate with liable parties
Note that the primary goal of your lawyer is to reach a favorable settlement for you. If this fails, your legal team will file a lawsuit as per the state laws and take your case to a jury. As you can see, it isn’t easy to handle such claims without legal help. Since the process is complex with several laws to adhere to, hiring a law firm for your case may be best.
What to Do After a Fuel Truck Accident
After a fuel truck crash, what you do can negatively or positively affect your claim. Depending on your condition immediately after the collision, you should:
- Report the accident to the police
- Collect the other driver’s information
- Collect witness statements
- Take pictures of the scene and damages
- Seek medical attention
- Consider working with a lawyer
However, because of the destructive nature of these accidents, a victim may not be able to react immediately after the accident. In that case, your family must ensure you get medical attention and call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer will help preserve evidence and obtain justice on your behalf.
Causes of Fuel Truck Accidents
Several factors can cause fuel truck accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), several negligent behaviors are leading causes of truck accidents, including:
- Impaired driving
- Fatigue or drowsy driving
- Poor visibility
- Inadequate road signs
- Traffic law violations
- Inadequate truck maintenance
- Mechanical failure
Your lawyer can work with experts, such as accident reconstruction specialists, to establish the cause of the accident and determine the liable party.
Damages in a Fuel Truck Accident
If you are a victim of a fuel truck accident, you can claim several economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Pain and Suffering: This damage is to compensate you for any other inconveniences you have to endure because of the injuries.
- Current and Medical Bills: Fuel truck accidents can cause severe injuries, like chemical exposure, broken bones, and traumatic brain injury. These injuries require prolonged hospitalization and extensive medical care, which is expensive.
- Current and Future Lost Income: Depending on your injuries, you may have to take a lot of time away from work, and in some cases, you cannot work again. This damage will compensate you for the effects of the accident on the job and your future ability to work.
- Future Medical Bills: In case of wrongful death, a victim’s family members can claim funeral and burial costs.
- Disability, Disfigurement, and Scarring: Fuel truck accidents can significantly affect a victim’s life and cause permanent disability and scarring. Should this happen, you can claim disability or scarring damages.
- Emotional Distress: This damage compensates for the non-physical effects of the accident, such as trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Loss of Consortium: Also known as loss of enjoyment of life, this damage compensates victims if they can no longer provide physical and emotional care and support to their loved ones.
If the accident was fatal, the victim’s family members could also claim funeral and burial costs. While investigating the accident, your lawyer will gather evidence to support your claim and damages, value them, and negotiate a fair settlement with the liable party.
Statute of Limitations
Every state has a deadline for filing personal injury and wrongful death claims. In Florida, to have a valid case, you must file the claim or lawsuit within four years from the date of the accident. In case of a fatality, you must file the claim or lawsuit before the lapse of two years from the date of death.
This is why it’s crucial to contact a lawyer as soon as possible and begin the claiming process. If you fail to file the personal injury or wrongful death claim within the deadline, you may lose your chance for compensation.
You Can Afford to Hire Our Team
Our fuel truck accident lawyers understand that victims of such accidents incur substantial medical bills and other losses. To help you get justice and ensure you get proper treatment, your lawyer will work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will not have to make any upfront payments and will only pay your legal fees after a successful settlement or court award. This gives you risk-free professional legal support.
Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for Legal Help
If you or a loved one was recently in a fuel truck accident in Palm Coast, you can seek legal help. A lawyer from our firm can review your case and give you the support to fight for the compensation you deserve.
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we are ready to handle your claim through all legal stages, seeking the best outcome.
We Can Help.