Injuries from slip and fall accidents range from minor aches and pains to catastrophic injuries. In addition, medical treatment for falls can add up, all while you may be unable to work.
Are you responsible for your medical bills, lost pay, and other accident-related expenses because of someone’s negligence? Not if your accident stemmed from another party’s reckless or wrongful actions. A Fort Pierce slip and fall injury lawyer with the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can tell you more about your rights and help you seek justice.
You Deserve to Know if You Qualify to Recover Compensation
The answer is simple: if your slip and fall accident was not your fault, you can seek compensation for damages from the responsible party. If you choose not to, or you wait until the statute of limitations has run out, you and you alone are responsible for paying for doctors, prescription drugs, and other damages.
Our slip and fall lawyers in Fort Pierce, FL, can review your case, answer your questions, and tell you more about qualifying for compensation. We can help you get started on a claim or file a lawsuit before the time limits outlined in Florida Statutes § 95.11 expire. You have four years to take action for personal injury or two years for the wrongful death of a loved one.
Call a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Fort Pierce Who Will Respond Quickly
Slip and fall accidents happen in seconds. However, you can often feel their impact for weeks, months, and even years later. Medical bills and the rent will not wait for you to recuperate and return to work.
If you suffered a fall injury at Fort Pierce Harbor, the Coral Square Shopping Center, or anywhere else in Fort Pierce, our slip and fall lawyers can respond quickly to your situation. Since 2006, our legal team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine has recovered compensation for injured and disabled clients. We know the process of slip and fall insurance claims and personal injury lawsuits.
We go the extra mile for our clients to get them the compensation they are entitled to receive.
Slip and Fall Injuries Can Be Severe and Costly
According to Mayo Clinic, falls are a major contributor to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). In addition to head injuries, falls can result in:
- Broken or fractured arms and legs
- Broken wrists, ankles, fingers, and toes
- Hip fractures
- Back, neck, and spinal injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Sprains, strains, and contusions
- Fear of falling again (especially for adults age 65 and older), which may limit activities and lifestyle
According to the Florida Department of Health, there were nearly 68,000 fall-related hospitalizations in Florida in 2014, with an average admission charge of more than $52,000 per incident. Falls are also the leading cause of fatal injury statewide.
Negligence Is a Major Factor for Most Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Our experience is that many slip and fall accidents are the results of negligence. Property owners must take reasonable measures to prevent or correct hazardous conditions, such as:
- Maintaining well-lit entrances and parking lots
- Removing debris from stairs and doorways
- Cleaning spills or puddles from floors and sidewalks
- Repairing torn carpet or broken floorboards and ceramic tile
- Fixing broken stairs
- Installing hand railings
These are just a few examples of negligence that may contribute to a slip and fall accident. If someone’s careless action–or inaction–caused your injury, you deserve to seek available compensation.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Fort Pierce Could Recover Compensation for You
Whether you are in someone’s home, store, or on public property (such as a city park or sidewalk), property owners have an obligation to keep a safe environment. In legal terms, this is known as “duty of care.” If a slip and fall lawyer proves that another party compromised this duty of care, you could recover compensation for your damages.
Proving liability depends on these factors:
- The property owner had a duty of care to provide a safe environment.
- The property owner breached the duty of care in some way (for example, not replacing ripped carpeting that caused you to slip and fall).
- The property owner’s negligence caused your injuries.
- You now have physical, mental, and financial damages.
We can help hold careless property owners accountable.
Your Status On the Property Could Affect Your Case
According to Florida Statutes § 768.075, property owners in Florida generally do not owe a duty of care to trespassers. An exception is if the property owner acted with intentional misconduct or gross negligence.
Our attorneys can review your legal status on the property and defend you against allegations of trespassing. If you bear some liability for your slip and fall, we can help you recover partial compensation under Florida’s comparative fault law outlined in Florida Statutes § 768.81.
Under this law, the court will consider your degree of fault for your fall injury and reduce your settlement or verdict accordingly. For example, if you win $100,000 but the court assigns you 20 percent fault, you will collect $80,000.
What Financial Recovery Can You Receive for a Slip and Fall Accident?
Financial recovery for a slip and fall accident refers to compensatory damages. Some damages that you could receive include:
- Current medical bills, including ambulance, hospital stays, doctor visits, and other related healthcare expenses
- Future fall-related medical costs, including physical therapy, occupational rehabilitation, medications, medical equipment, and long-term care services
- Lost pay, including bonuses, benefits, and tips
- Reduced earning ability because of your injuries
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Pain and suffering, including depression, stress, physical pain, loss of enjoyment of life, and mental anguish
- Wrongful death compensation, including your loved one’s medical bills, funeral and burial expenses, lost wages, and awards for surviving family members’ mental pain and suffering and loss of consortium or parental guidance
No two slip and fall accidents are alike, and there is no predetermined amount that you could recover. Our Fort Pierce slip and fall attorneys will assess your injuries, expenses, and expected prognosis and then file a claim against the negligent party’s insurance coverage.
Your Slip and Fall Lawyer in Fort Pierce Will Stand Up to the Insurance Company
It is our experience as slip and fall lawyers that the insurance adjuster may try to blame you for the accident. This is one of several tactics that insurance adjusters could use to deny your claim or to offer a low settlement.
That is why you should not try to settle with the insurance company alone. The insurance adjuster knows that you have medical bills and other expenses. They may try to get you to accept an inadequate settlement.
Here are other suggestions that help us maximize your potential compensation:
- Please do not discuss the accident with the insurance adjuster because you could unintentionally jeopardize your claim by saying or doing something they could later use against you.
- For the same reason, please do not post comments or photos of the accident on social media.
- It is best to discuss the details of your case with your slip and fall lawyer only.
- Keep all medical bills, pay stubs, and other proof of your expenses.
- Follow your doctor or health care provider’s recommendations.
- Write an account of what happened before, during, and after your slip and fall accident.
You concentrate on feeling better. A slip and fall lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine will take care of everything else. Please call for a free consultation.
We Invite You to Learn More About Our Firm
It is important that you feel comfortable and confident when consulting with a slip and fall lawyer in Fort Pierce. When you work with us, we will stand by your side, treat you with compassion and respect, and give your case the attention it deserves.
We invite you to call for a free consultation to learn more about our Fort Pierce slip and fall injury lawyers and how they can take your case at no upfront cost to you.
We Can Help.