Construction trucks range from 18 wheelers to service vans, and they tend to be heavier than most vehicles. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) limits their maximum weight to 80,000 pounds. Your average car, on the other hand, roughly weighs 4,000 pounds. This size and weight difference can result in high rates of injuries and fatalities for people in normal cars. These trucks can also carry dangerous materials, such as wet cement and chemicals, resulting in even worse circumstances.
Our Coral Springs construction truck accident lawyer may be able to help if you or a family member were injured in such an accident. You may be eligible to collect compensation for lost income, medical bills, and possibly pain and suffering. We can help you build a claim for compensation and, if necessary, represent you in a trial.
How Our Lawyer Can Help with Your Construction Truck Accident
Our Coral Springs construction truck accident lawyer gathers all the necessary information and makes a judgment on how best to deal with your case. Below are some of the things our lawyer can do to help your case:
There are many parties involved in a truck accident. Your lawyer considers all the factors surrounding the accident to determine how it occurred and who is responsible for it. Some of the things they might investigate include:
- Seeing if all the safety structures, such as steering, braking, and warning signals, were in sound condition
- Determining if the driver had safety training before operating the truck
- Seeking documentation showing that the truck undergoes frequent routine maintenance checks, especially before transit
- Checking to see if all safety equipment, such as warning signals, was functioning properly
- Confirming that the driver was qualified to operate the truck
Construction trucks are seen as commercial vehicles. As such, they need to follow the rules set for commercial trucks, which include:
- A construction truck driver must have a commercial driver’s license (CDL)
- Drivers should get proper training before driving the truck
- The truck should be inspected for faults and properly maintained before it sets off
- The truck’s weight should not exceed the recommended weight allowances
Violating any of these rules can prove that the truck driver and/or the construction company was negligent. Some of the parties that you can seek compensation from include:
- The construction company if they are the direct owners of the truck
- The construction company if they rented the truck
- The truck driver
- The insurance company
Our Coral Springs construction truck accident lawyer will see if the accident has more than one liable party. They can also advise you on how to handle lawsuits against each party.
Other Services from a Construction Truck Accident Lawyer
In addition, our Coral Springs construction truck accident lawyer also does the following:
- Negotiate settlements with the insurance company
- Collect supporting evidence
- Represent your case in court
- File your case within the statute of limitations
- Give you legal advice and frequent case updates
The Compensation You Could Receive from Your Construction Truck Accident
The compensation you receive depends on the accident and the resulting injuries. All cases are different, so there isn’t a set compensation amount. Our lawyer will assess your situation and file the necessary claims. You can get compensation for:
- Ongoing and future medical treatments
- Loss of wages for the time you were unable to work
- Future earnings if you can no longer work at the same capacity
- At-home medical services and life care plans
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
You can also get compensation for temporary or permanent disability. Your lawyer can also help you file for wrongful death damages if you lost a loved one in a construction truck accident.
The Causes of Construction Truck Accidents
Construction trucks are a common sight on most roads. Some of the things that contribute to construction truck accidents are:
A construction truck driver might have been working and making material deliveries for hours. This leaves them exhausted, which lessens their focus on the road. As the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) points out, when a driver is overworked, their only focus is finishing their work as soon as possible, leading to them over-speeding or driving recklessly.
Reckless driving endangers both the driver and anyone using the road. Driving too fast impairs their judgment, making it hard for them to avoid obstacles or stop on time to prevent accidents. Owners need to make sure their drivers are not overworked and are fit to drive.
Some trucks carry more cargo than the vehicle or the driver can handle. Turning and stopping become more difficult. The extra weight could cause the truck to topple over on turns or require extra time to stop. Not only could the impact cause injury, but it could dump hazardous materials dangerous to the people around it.
Lack of Training
Driving a construction truck is not the same as driving a regular car. It needs extensive training and lots of experience for a driver to operate. Owners of the construction company or the driver’s employer need to ensure their drivers have adequate training and provide additional training if necessary.
Sometimes even drivers with more than enough experience can face challenges. A good driver will know the location of their vehicle’s blind spots. Proper mapping and knowledge of the route are necessary for the driver to be aware of any existing blind spots on the road.
Other causes of truck accidents could be:
- Road rage
- Ignoring road and traffic rules
- Driving under the influence
- Lack of proper truck maintenance
- Distracted driving
Our Coral Springs construction truck accident lawyer looks at the circumstances leading to your case to determine the cause of the accident. This can help our lawyer find the responsible party and file a personal injury lawsuit against them.
Contact Us for a Construction Truck Accident Case
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine is ready to start working on your construction truck accident case. Our attorneys take care of everything for you, leaving you to worry about getting better. They will also give you frequent case updates and answer all your questions to ensure you are always in the loop. Call us to start working on your case today!
We Can Help.