Although living in Florida has wonderful advantages, when a hurricane or storm hits, the results can be devastating. If you have suffered losses during a storm or hurricane, the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1 (800) 747-3733 can help. If your insurance agency is failing to meet your expectations, let a storm loss property claim lawyer in West Palm Beach help you get the compensation you deserve.
My Property Damage Seems Overwhelming
If you have experienced a serious storm or hurricane in West Palm Beach, Florida, you know that the wind, rain, flood conditions, and other climate disasters can devastate your home and property. There may be damage everywhere, including destroyed windows and doors, moisture and mold damage, missing roof tiles, siding and gutters torn away from your home, property damage inside the home due to wind and water, and damage to garages, sheds, and other free-standing structures.
But I Have Insurance
You may be thinking, “But I have insurance, so there’s no problem.” You may be right, but quite frequently after a natural disaster event, you may indeed have a problem. Even though you have been paying your premiums on time, your insurance company may minimize your claim or even deny it. They may take the stance:
- The damage was there before the storm, so it is not covered under your policy
- You were late on a premium payment
- You did not provide enough proof of the value of the loss
- You could have done more to prevent the damage from occurring
In addition to the above, the insurance company may do the following:
- Fail to conduct an adequate investigation
- Fail to respond in a timely manner to your calls, emails, or letters
- Offer you a settlement to repair items that should actually be replaced
Dealing with the fallout of a storm can be difficult. Your stress just increases when you are forced to live elsewhere because your home has been totally or partially destroyed, especially if you have children. The longer it takes for your insurance company to respond to you, the longer it will take for your life to return to normal. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1 (800) 747-3733 for help from a storm loss property claim lawyer in West Palm Beach in recovering the compensation you need from your insurance company.
Your Proof of Loss Statement
When your property has been destroyed or damaged during a storm, your insurance company will ask you to submit a proof of loss statement. A lot is riding on what you submit to the insurance company. The form will help to substantiate the value of your losses. You may need to look at your insurance policy to make sure that you include all the necessary information for the insurance company, including:
- The date and the cause of the loss.
- Any documents you have relating to the value of the items that have been lost.
- What your coverage amounts were when the storm happened.
- If there are creditors that have an interest in the property. For example, your home may have a mortgage, so if the home is severely damaged, the bank has an interest in the value of your property.
Be honest and as accurate as possible when describing the damage. If the insurance company has reason to believe that you were not honest, they will deny your claim. Base your descriptions on facts and supporting evidence. Make sure that you know what the deadline is for the submission of the documents so as not to risk a denial of your claim. Get detailed estimates and be thorough when attaching a value to your items.
Your Homeowner Claims Bill of Rights
Florida law guarantees that homeowners have rights as it relates to the insurance claims process after a storm. Insurance companies must provide a residential policyholder with a bill of rights within 14 days after being notified of a claim. The bill of rights states that you have the right to:
- Be notified when the insurance agency has received your loss claim
- Be notified whether the insurance company is fully or partially covering your claim, denying your claim, or if your claim is still being investigated, within 30 days of submitting a proof of loss document
- Receive compensation for property loss, either entirely or partially, within 90 days
- Receive free mediation services for your disputed claim by the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Consumer Services
- Contact the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Consumer Services for help with the insurance claims process
A Lawyer Can Help
When you hire a storm loss property claim lawyer in West Palm Beach to help you receive compensation for your losses after a storm, he or she will gather all the evidence related to the claim. They will look at your policy to fully understand the terms and conditions of your coverage and note if there are exclusions to your coverage that you may not be aware of.
They can help you prepare a proof of loss statement, and, if you have already submitted the statement, they can go over any entries in the statement where the insurance company may find fault. Property claim attorneys will attempt to negotiate or enter into arbitration with the insurance company for the fairest settlement possible since most claims are settled before a hearing takes place.
If you have submitted a claim for compensation to your property insurance agency in West Palm Beach, Florida, and were disappointed with their settlement offer, or if you are still waiting for a fair settlement offer, contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1 (800) 747-3733. A storm loss property claim lawyer in West Palm Beach on our team knows what to do to help you get what you need to rebuild your life after a storm.
We Can Help.