Choosing to drive while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs generally falls under negligence since drunk driving puts people at risk for injury and even death on the road. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you may have legal grounds to sue them or another liable party.
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, our legal team serves accident victims in Melbourne and surrounding cities in Florida. We can listen to your story in a free consultation and assign a Melbourne drunk driving car accident lawyer from our team to your case.
Victims Of Drunk Driving Accidents Can Demand Compensation For Damages
Personal injury law in Florida allows injured parties to file for compensation whenever they incur damages as a result of another party’s negligence. As such, if you suffered losses in a drunk driving accident in Melbourne, you may demand compensation from the at-fault driver or a related party who may be held liable, such as the driver’s employer.
Compensatory damages generally refer to physical, emotional, mental, and financial losses you incurred as a result of your injuries or accident. For example, you may receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Costs to repair or replace your vehicle and other lost items/assets
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of wages, including benefits
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life, including loss of enjoyment in former hobbies and activities
Each accident case is unique, so you may have damages not mentioned in this article. For example, if your loved one passed away in a drunk driving accident, you may qualify for wrongful death damages. Our team will discuss which losses you may qualify to claim in your case, then estimate an approximate total to determine how much compensation we should fight for to cover your damages.
Hiring An Attorney Can Allow You To Recover Without Worrying About Your Case
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we take pride in providing our clients with responsive legal care. When you hire a Melbourne drunk driving car accident lawyer from our team, you do not have to worry about being left in the dark, as we make sure to keep our clients updated on their cases. You can expect:
- To receive access to your attorney’s phone number whenever you want to ask legal questions
- Responses to your calls and emails whenever you reach out to our team
- Frequent updates related to your case, such as settlement offers you receive or court hearing dates
We work hard to build trust with our clients because we care about their cases. Our team aims to maintain active communication while building a comprehensive case for you.
What A Car Accident Lawyer Does
When you hire a car accident attorney from our team, you can expect us to:
- Investigate your case to collect key evidence, such as the crash report, witness testimony, and expert analysis
- Fill out paperwork on your behalf and submit these legal documents within their deadlines
- Calculate how much compensation we should pursue to potentially recover your damages
- Handle communications with interested parties, such as the insurance company, the defendant’s legal team, and court officials
- Attend out-of-court meetings to represent your legal interests, such as negotiating a settlement deal before the trial begins
- Prepare your case for court if necessary and present your argument in front of a jury
On top of our legal services, our team also goes some steps further to help our clients out as they recover from their accidents. For example, we often help clients schedule medical appointments or mechanic repairs so that they can get back on their feet.
Getting Legal Counsel Can Help You Make Case Decisions
As mentioned, you’ll always have access to contacting your attorney or our team. That means whenever you are faced with a legal decision, you can look to us for legal counsel should you ever need further explanation or insight on what kind of outcome a decision can bring.
For example, we can advise you on:
- Whether you should file a lawsuit to pursue compensation for your damages
- How to handle questions from insurance adjusters if they reach out to you
- Whether you should accept a settlement offer from the defendant
If you have other questions about your case, our team can speak with you in a future consultation.
How Long Do You Have To File A Drunk Driving Car Accident Lawsuit In Florida?
According to Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a), you generally have four years from the date of your automobile accident to file a lawsuit and pursue compensation for damages.
However, if you are filing a wrongful death lawsuit, then Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d) usually shifts the statutory deadline to two years from the victim’s death.
Don’t Stall On Building Your Case
While four years (or even two years) might seem like more than enough time, you should also consider variables that can affect how long you actually have to build your case. For example, if the drunk driver fled the scene to avoid arrest, it may take time to find the hit-and-run driver.
Additionally, waiting too long to build your case may jeopardize time-sensitive evidence, such as eyewitnesses’ memories or security systems that automatically erase footage after certain times. Do not hesitate to start building your case as soon as possible.
Call The Law Offices Of Anidjar & Levine To Discuss Your Melbourne Drunk Driving Car Accident Case
If you or a loved one was injured in an automobile accident involving a drunk driver, you may have grounds to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Through these methods, you can demand compensation from a liable party to cover your damages. A Melbourne drunk driving car accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can represent you, whether that involves negotiating a settlement deal for you or presenting your case in trial.
Call our law firm today to get a free consultation with a member of our team, who can hear your case and discuss what legal options are available to you. We go the extra mile to help our clients fight for their compensation, so don’t hesitate to reach out today. You worry about getting better, and we’ll take care of the rest.
We Can Help.