What Do You Do After a DUI Accident? After a DUI accident, you should first seek medical attention.

If you want to know what to do after a DUI accident, you should seek medical attention no matter how minor your injuries may initially seem. An examination from a medical professional can bring to light any injuries that may not be apparent, such as organ damage or internal bleeding. These injuries may not be immediately present following an accident but can worsen over time if left untreated.

Additionally, another thing you should do after a DUI accident is consider contacting a DUI accident attorney. An accident attorney is accustomed to dealing with these types of complicated cases and can provide you with useful resources. You may also be able to pursue compensation to cover the cost of your injuries.

For a free legal consultation, call (800) 747-3733

Further Steps to Consider

There are several steps you can take after an accident, assuming you are out of harm’s way and are not at risk for further injury. These steps include:

  • File a police report. Florida law states that you must file a police report following a car accident if the damage to either vehicle was more than $500, if there were any injuries, and if towing was required to remove a vehicle. Make sure that the attending police officer notes your injuries and other details of the accident on the report. This will establish a link between yourself and the accident which will prove useful when filing a personal injury claim.
  • Seek medical attention so a doctor can treat and document your injuries. This should be done as soon as possible. Keep track of all bills and documents as this will provide evidence when trying to hold the liable party responsible.
  • Attempt to gather information about witnesses, such as their names and contact information. Take photographs of the scene, your injuries, and the damage done to your vehicle.
  • Attend as many hearings as possible for the drunk driver. You may be called upon to testify or give a victim impact statement.

Based on the circumstances of your accident, you may be eligible to receive money from the Crimes Compensation Act. Enacted in 1977, this legislation was designed to allow the victims of criminal acts to file for compensation to cover the cost of their damages.

If the driver in your accident was found to be driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you may be able to recover losses through this act. You can fill out an application to have the Office of the Attorney General, Bureau of Victim Compensation review your case.

A Team of Attorneys by Your Side

A car accident can change your life in an instant. When dealing with the aftershock of a DUI accident, it can be frustrating to know that your injuries could have been avoided. Contacting the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can provide you with guidance through the legal process as you focus on recovering from your injuries.

Our main objective is to get you back on your feet and back to the things you love most. To do that, we will do everything in our power to prove your case, including pulling traffic surveillance footage, reviewing the police report, speaking to eyewitnesses, and more.

To learn more about the services we provide, call us today at 1-800-747-3733.