Because settlement figures are not always made publicly available, it is not possible to determine what the average settlement for a truck accident is. Even when the figures are available, knowing the average of truck accident-related settlements will not likely do you much good. Every truck accident is unique, and the outcome of other truck accident lawsuits generally has no bearing on what the outcome of yours may be.
Instead, your lawyer will focus on the specifics of your accident and the losses you suffered to determine how much compensation you should be entitled to.
Why Truck Accidents May Cause Great Harm
In simple terms, the size and weight of trucks are the reasons why they can produce an abnormally great amount of harm. Popular Mechanics reports that the heaviest trucks on the road can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds, which the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) explains is far more than the typical passenger vehicle—sometimes 20 to 30 times more.
Trucks carrying a massive total weight have several disadvantages when it comes to avoiding accidents, including:
- A poor ability to stop (the more weight a vehicle has, the more time it takes to stop that vehicle’s forward motion)
- Less agility than smaller, lighter vehicles
- Abnormal movement dynamics because of the trailer on an 18-wheeler
- Greater potential to roll over in an accident or in a maneuver intended to avoid an accident
Even if a truck driver can manage to avoid an accident, the steps they take to do so can lead to subsequent accidents. When an accident involving a truck does occur, the harm caused may be great because of the truck’s heavy weight and potential crushing power.
For a free legal consultation 800-747-3733
Losses You May Experience Because of a Truck Accident
The losses that come from a truck accident may be different than other types of collisions, especially if multiple vehicles are involved. A lawyer can speak with you directly to determine what your losses are.
Some potential types of losses include:
- Severe injuries that cause physical and cognitive limitations
- Damage to your vehicle
- Damage to personal property within or tethered to a vehicle
- Lost income because you are unable to work while injured
- Permanent or long-lasting harm to your earning power
- Loss of limbs
- Psychological conditions such as depression and anxiety
- Significant medical costs to treat your injuries
The most serious potential outcome of a truck accident is losing a loved one. A lawyer will consider every loss that you have suffered as well as those that may be likely to occur in the future. While they may not be able to tell you what the average settlement for a truck accident is, they can calculate your losses and tell you the proper amount of compensation. They can then seek that amount of compensation through a pre-trial settlement or represent you in court if necessary.
Building a Truck Accident Case
There may be more than one party responsible for your accident and losses. The American Bar Association confirms that there are numerous standards for liability in a personal injury case.
Your lawyer can identify the parties who have liability for your losses and then work to build a case that proves why those parties are liable. Some of the tasks that your lawyer may perform include:
- Reviewing evidence related to your accident
- Calculating the losses you have suffered
- Collecting documentation of your injuries, medical expenses, and other costs
- Projecting any losses that you may suffer in the future
- Consulting experts in fields that are relevant to your case
- Interviewing witnesses who saw your accident happen
- Filing your lawsuit
- Filing any other necessary paperwork
- Managing all communications related to your lawsuit
- Negotiating a settlement
If settlement negotiations are not successful and going to trial is in your best interests, your lawyer can represent you in court.
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today
Our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine goes the extra mile for our clients, and we can do the same for you. With our help, you can focus on getting better and let us handle the rest.
To learn more, call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW