If you have suffered injuries in a car accident, you may be thinking about pursuing damages. You may also be curious about how much your case could be worth and if a settlement will help cover all of your expenses. Unfortunately, there isn’t much reliable data about typical car accident settlement amounts in the United States.
Probably, this is because each case is different. The amount one person will recover depends completely on the circumstances of their accident. A car accident lawyer can evaluate what your individual claim could be worth.
What Can Impact Your Car Accident Settlement Amount
There are many factors that impact the value of a car accident claim. Here are some things that can influence your final settlement:
- Your Own Insurance Coverage. Many states have minimum coverage requirements that may impact your potential settlement. For example, Florida law requires Personal Injury Protection insurance (PIP) from which most accident victims will demand compensation.
- The severity of your injuries. This is one of the most influential factors in your settlement, as medical bills and treatment expenses are often one of the largest losses. While it’s not always the case, your settlement amount is typically higher the more severe your injuries are.
- Health Insurance Coverage. Sometimes the severity of the accident can force a person to use their health insurance coverage after their PIP runs out. This may cause significant financial instability with copays, deductibles, and other expenses. A lawyer can help pursue compensation for these losses.
For a free legal consultation 800-747-3733
What Your Compensation Should Cover
Your compensation should not just cover your bills. It should also help make up for the stress and mental anguish you have experienced as a result of the accident. This is why your settlement includes different types of damages.
The first category is economic damages. These are meant to compensate you for bills and expenses that have arisen due to your accident. Economic damages can include compensation for:
- Medical bills
- The cost of future medical care
- The cost of vehicle repairs
- The cost of a new vehicle
- Lost wages
- A loss of earning potential
Keep any bills, repair estimates, and any other relevant documentation after your car accident. This can help you fight for compensation later.
Direct economic costs are not the only thing to worry about after an accident. The typical car accident settlement also accounts for non-economic damages, like the emotional trauma experienced by someone who has suffered injuries. Non-economic damages are meant to compensate you for:
- Emotional anguish
- Disfigurement or disability
- Diminished quality of life
- Any other past and future pain and suffering
Wrongful Death Damages
If your loved one has passed away in a car accident, you can pursue wrongful death damages. A settlement in a case like this should help reimburse a family member for the lost loved one’s economic contribution to the household, funeral and burial expenses, and medical expenses. The loss of companionship, the mental anguish experienced by the surviving family members, and any other pain and suffering experienced as a result of the accident also needs to be considered when a settlement is calculated.
How A Lawyer Can Help
An attorney can help you fight for a better car accident settlement in a number of ways. Your car accident attorney can:
File Your Case Before The Statute Of Limitations Expires
Your attorney can help you get the legal process started. Under Florida law, you have a limited amount of time to act before you may be barred from pursuing compensation. In some cases, your case can be thrown out if you file past the deadline. Your lawyer can help you monitor and fulfill these deadlines.
Gather Evidence Needed To Make Your Case
Your lawyer will also gather evidence to make your case. We will talk to eyewitnesses, obtain copies of surveillance footage, and talk to medical professionals about your injuries and prognosis. Then we will use that evidence to demonstrate the severity of your losses.
Keep You Updated On Your Case
You will get your attorney’s phone number and frequent case updates. If you ever have a question about your case, just call or email your lawyer. We will make responding to your needs a top priority.
Field Settlement Offers
If you receive a settlement offer, your attorney will tell you about it. They can also tell you if they believe that it is a fair compensation offer based on what you have experienced.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Get Your Free Case Consultation
If you are ready to pursue damages and receive the kind of settlement you deserve, contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, We can offer you a free case consultation and tell you more about what we can do to assist you. Then we will help you fight for a car accident settlement that will improve your quality of life after the accident.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW