How long you have to file a lawsuit after a car accident in Fort Lauderdale will rest on the details of your case. However, for the most part, under Florida Statute §95.11, you usually have four years to file a personal injury lawsuit and two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Many extenuating details could influence how long you have to act under Florida’s statute of limitations.
Under Florida Statute §95.051, you could be granted additional time to act if:
- The defendant fled the state before you could file a lawsuit.
- The defendant purposefully concealed their identity, impeding your ability to take your case to court.
- The claimant was “incapacitated” at the time of the accident, which could grant them additional time to take legal action.
Every case is different. Yet, in general, if you do not file your case within the state’s deadlines, you will be barred from pursuing compensation.
To navigate the various deadlines and responsibilities that go along with filing a lawsuit, many claimants choose to work with a personal injury lawyer.
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 747-3733
A Lawyer Can Negotiate with the Insurance Company
If you accept an offer from the insurance company after a car accident in Fort Lauderdale, you will be unable to bring your case to court. When considering if an insurance settlement covers your losses, you need to have an understanding of what your economic and noneconomic damages are worth following a collision.
Some examples of recoverable damages in a personal injury case include:
- Past, present, and projected medical bills
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Emotional trauma
If you are a qualifying representative filing a wrongful death claim, compensable losses include:
- Your loved one’s end-of-life medical bills
- Funeral, burial/cremation, and memorial costs
- Loss of income
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of household benefits and parental guidance
A lawyer can assess the cost of your damages and negotiate with the involved insurer on your behalf. Additionally, they can share with you how long you have to file a lawsuit after a car accident in Fort Lauderdale.
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Can Help You After a Car Accident
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, our goal is to provide responsive legal care as you decide what course of action suits your legal interests.
- Handle the paperwork involved with filing your case
- Negotiate with the insurers on your behalf
- Manage all communications with the involved parties
- Collect evidence to determine liability
- Calculate the cost of your damages
- Take your case to court, if necessary
When you call our team today, after learning about the details of your collision, we can explain how long you have to file a lawsuit after a car accident in Fort Lauderdale. Our team works on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we only get paid our attorney’s fees if your case is successful.
To get started with a free case review, call us today at 1-800-747-3733.