stressful, and expensive. Getting a fair settlement from the at-fault driver’s insurance company can prove challenging.
Florida is a no-fault state, making it more tricky and confusing to get justice and adequate compensation for any damages.
If you or a loved one suffered harm in a car accident with a negligent driver and are struggling to get your due, connect with a Brandon car accident lawyer. Let our passionate and dedicated team help you.
Considerations After a Collision in Brandon, Florida
Are you unsure how to navigate the post-accident landscape? We recommend employing these steps to protect your right to damages:
Report Your Accident
Per Florida Statutes §316.066, you must report a collision if it results in injuries, fatalities, or property damage exceeding a certain amount. Having a police report made isn’t only mandatory; it’s required by law and serves as important evidence for your case.
Most of us keep our phones with us all the time. You can use your phone to take pictures and videos of your injuries, the accident scene, and any damage to your vehicle. These pictures provide evidence if you pursue a car accident claim for compensation.
Write Down Your Personal Testimony
In addition to taking pictures, we recommend documenting everything you remember about the collision, including what happened before, during, and afterward. Even the smallest detail can illuminate what caused your collision and who is responsible.
Seek Medical Care
Did you suffer an injury in Brandon? If so, make sure you seek treatment for your injuries. This may involve visiting an emergency room, urgent care center, or family doctor. Be sure also to follow your treatment plan. Not only do you want to make a full recovery, but information from your doctor can support your case.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney for Help
Finally, it’s a good idea to consider legal aid after your collision. We can provide you with more information about what to do after getting hurt, how to protect your rights, and what you can recover.
Other Drivers’ Negligent Actions
Car accidents can happen due to other drivers’ carelessness and reckless actions, such as aggressive driving. The American Automobile Association (AAA) describes aggressive driving as any unsafe driving behavior deliberately performed by a driver.
Examples of aggressive and reckless driving can include:
- Speeding: Speeding is illegal in Florida, regardless of whether you’re driving a personal vehicle or commercial truck.
- Drifting: Drifting is when a driver intentionally turns their wheels while moving forward. This dangerous maneuver can cause serious collisions.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving occurs when a driver uses their cell phone, text message, or another device while operating a motor vehicle. It’s not just limited to talking on the phone. Texting while driving has been proven to be even more distracting than talking on the phone.
- Racing other cars: Racing is when two or more vehicles travel at high speeds and close together.
- Failing to yield right-of-way: Yielding right-of-way means that one driver gives way to another driver approaching them.
- Tailgating: Tailgating is when a driver follows too closely behind another vehicle. This can lead to rear-end crashes.
- Driving under the influence: DUI stands for “driving under the influence.” Drunk drivers can cause serious injuries and fatalities.
- Ignoring traffic signals: Ignoring traffic signals is considered careless driving. When this happens, it can result in severe collisions.
- Improperly passing: Improperly passing is when a driver passes a slower vehicle without giving enough space between the two vehicles.
- Weaving in and out of traffic: Weaving in and out of lanes is often done by inexperienced drivers. These types of maneuvers can lead to car accidents.
- Improperly turning: Improperly turning is when a driver makes a sharp turn without signaling first. This can lead to car accidents and collisions.
- Not using the appropriate signals: Using the correct signals is important to ensure safe travel. Failure to use these signals can lead to car accidents, especially during rush hour.
- Blocking other cars from changing lanes: Blocking other drivers from changing lanes is an example of road rage. If you witness someone blocking others from changing lanes, report it immediately.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), most vehicle accidents happen due to critical driver error, with only a small number of accidents happening due to a vehicle defect or environmental factors.
If you or a loved one got hurt due to a reckless driver, they should pay for your damages, not you. Consult with a Brandon car accident law firm as soon as possible after an accident to find out about your legal rights and options for financial compensation.
Injuries Associated with Car Accidents in Brandon
Car accidents can vary significantly in severity in Brandon. Personal injury lawyers believe in providing the support you need if you sustain an injury due to another driver’s reckless actions. You might reach out to us if you suffered severe injuries, including:
- Cuts, burns, or road rash
- Head or brain injuries
- Injuries to your back, neck, or spine
- Internal injuries to organs
- Broken bones or fractures
- Impaired bodily functions
We understand that your injuries may not be immediately apparent after the collision. If you notice injuries in the days following an accident, make sure you seek out medical care to assess the issue and document what happened.
We don’t want you to turn away medical care because of financial problems. A successful claim or lawsuit could yield compensation for your healthcare expenses, including medications, surgeries, hospitalization, and more.
Compensation You Could Receive in a Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident is almost always stressful and upsetting. However, serious injuries and other damages can also be excruciatingly expensive for accident victims.
Individuals can face a mountain of medical bills to pay and lost income due to being unable to go to work for a prolonged period during recovery.
However, if another person recklessly or negligently caused your accident, a car accident lawyer can advise you on your next best options, including filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Compensation for injuries can include:
- Medical expenses for all current and ongoing treatments
- Transportation costs, such as for a rental car
- Repair or replacement of the damaged car
- Loss of wages and future income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Physical and mental pain and anguish
- Reduced life enjoyment
- Emotional distress
There may be other awards that you could recover in a personal injury lawsuit depending on your unique case.
If you recently got hurt in a car accident and are on the fence about hiring a car accident attorney, consider how your lawyer can help with your claim. A car accident lawyer can protect your legal rights and help you with all aspects of a lawsuit, including:
Offering Legal Advice
Your car accident lawyer can help you identify your legal options and the next best steps after an accident. They can analyze your car accident, inform you of your rights, and consider the appropriate timing for legal action.
Having a dedicated car accident lawyer by your side, looking out for your best interests, can help you through a difficult and stressful time.
Gathering Evidence to Prove Negligence
Gathering evidence to prove your claim can be crucial, and the process should start immediately after your accident. If you suffer from significant injuries and are still recovering, the help of a car accident lawyer can be crucial.
Evidence your lawyer may try to obtain can include photographs of the accident and your injuries, witness statements, police accident reports, medical reports proving your damages, and other material.
Dealing with the At-Fault Party’s Insurance Company
Communicating with the at-fault driver’s insurance company can present accident victims with several pitfalls. You should consider working with an attorney to protect your rights and negotiate effectively with insurers for a fair and adequate settlement.
Letting your attorney handle all communication with an insurance company can be the best way to alleviate your stress.
Insurers have developed tactics, such as asking individuals for recorded statements, that could prevent accident victims from recovering the full worth of their claims.
Your experienced lawyer can defend you from any attempts by insurers to minimize your settlement, protecting your best interests at all times. If your car accident lawyer cannot get the insurance company to agree to a fair settlement, they can take your case through the courts.
Representing You in Court
While accident victims could represent themselves in court, this can be challenging if they don’t understand the legal process.
Presenting your case against a negligent driver yourself, while the other side will most likely have professional legal representation, can be stressful. Having Brandon’s personal injury attorneys by your side can relieve your burden and give you peace of mind.
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for Help Now
You do not have to struggle with a car accident claim alone. Let the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levineprotect your legal rights and fight for maximum compensation for your needs.
Contact an auto wreck attorney today for a free initial consultation to discuss your options and determine the strength of your injury claim.
We Can Help.