Abuse and neglect of the elderly is an unfortunate problem for those whose loved ones live in community settings, and veterans are not immune to these types of mistreatment. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers nursing home facilities to qualifying veterans, and it is possible that conditions in these facilities may be far less than the standard of care that your loved one deserves. If you believe that your loved one has been abused or neglected in a VA nursing home, then VA itself and potentially other parties could be responsible for the harm your loved one has suffered.
You can speak with the team for a Boca Raton veterans neglect and abuse lawyer to learn more about seeking justice for nursing home abuse. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation about how we may help you seek compensation for a loved one’s mistreatment.
VA Nursing Homes May Reflect Nursing Homes in General
VA veterans care services include:
- Assisted-living facilities
- Nursing homes
- In-home care
- Day health centers for adults
- Around-the-clock nursing
VA literature notes that they may run certain communal living facilities on their own, or may assist veterans in finding a non-VA nursing home that suits their needs. While these services can be invaluable for veterans, VA nursing homes may be vulnerable to the same problems that can plague nursing homes in general.
For a free legal consultation with a veterans neglect and abuse lawyer serving Boca Raton, 800-747-3733
Problems that May Plague a Nursing Home
The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) notes one of the most prevalent issues facing nursing homes in Florida and across the United States: understaffing. Having too few staff members on duty at any given time can cause a number of different problems, and may be a symptom of more widespread care shortfalls in a nursing home.
Veterans deserve access to care when they need it, yet a nursing home with too few staffers on duty could result in:
- A veteran-resident choking, falling, or suffering another type of potentially fatal event because the staff was not available to assist them
- A veteran-resident going without proper bathing, which may lead to the development of bedsores and infection
- Your loved one not receiving medications on schedule, or at all, because the staff is stretched thin
- Abuse of your loved one, which could be permitted because they are not being properly monitored
- The general neglect of your loved one
A nursing home may be understaffed for a number of reasons. Explanations could include that nursing homeowners or administrators are aiming to cut costs, that they have not gone the extra mile to find willing caregivers or that mandatory staffing minimums do not reflect the true needs of the facility. None of these explanations are justifications for a nursing home being understaffed relative to its specific needs.
You may be especially concerned about signs that your loved one has suffered abuse or neglect. Hiring a Boca Raton veterans neglect and abuse lawyer may allow you to thoroughly investigate your loved one’s concerning symptoms, and to seek justice if you wish to do so.
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 to find out more about our responsive legal care.
Boca RatonVeterans Neglect and Abuse Lawyer Near Me 800-747-3733
A Lawyer May Be Able to Manage Your Case for You
Hiring a lawyer for a veterans neglect and abuse case may cost you nothing. As the American Bar Association (ABA) explains, personal injury and wrongful death lawyers may work on a contingency-fee arrangement, generally meaning that they:
- Do not get paid by the hour
- Do not get paid upfront
- Do not receive any payment out of your own pocket
- Receive a percentage of your winnings, only if you win
- Do not get paid unless you secure compensation
This sort of arrangement may benefit you in multiple ways. For one, it grants access to legal services for those who could not otherwise afford a lawyer who requires upfront or hourly payment. Secondly, a lawyer’s knowledge that they receive payment only if you win may lead them to accept your case only if they believe it is winnable.
Once you hire a lawyer, you may expect them to handle the significant majority of responsibilities related to your lawsuit. This may include:
- Determining all of the available facts related to your loved one’s mistreatment
- Identifying parties known or suspected of harming your loved one
- Determining other relevant legal standards, such as strict liability, which may affect liability for your loved one’s losses
- Gathering and organizing any evidence pertaining to your loved one’s mistreatment
- Documenting losses, such as injuries, that your loved one suffered because of nursing home-related wrongdoing
- Determining how much compensation your loved one is owed
- Filing your lawsuit
- Engaging in settlement negotiations
- Completing your case through any other necessary means
Realizing that your loved one has been mistreated in a VA nursing home facility or another type of communal living setting can be shocking. While you come to grips with your situation and aim to move your loved one to a safe location, a lawyer may be able to fight for the justice that your loved one deserves.
Potential Compensation for Your Loved One
The losses that occur in any given veteran’s neglect and abuse case may be different. Some of the harm that your loved one suffered may include:
- Emotional trauma
- Physical pain
- Physical injury
- The cost of medical care for injuries caused by abuse or neglect
Abuse can also be financial in nature, as the elderly may become targets for financial exploitation. Your loved one’s lawyer will aim to identify all of the ways in which your loved one has been harmed and seek fair compensation for their losses.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today
Our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine takes veterans’ sacrifices seriously, and we will fight for justice when a veteran is neglected or abused in a nursing home setting. Do not hesitate to call our team, as you may have a limited time to file a lawsuit with the help of a Boca Raton veterans neglect and abuse lawyer.
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW