There are many steps you can take to protect your rights after a car accident in Jacksonville. One of the most important steps is to call the local police to the accident scene so that you may later obtain a car accident report. When the police arrive, give them all the information they require—and nothing more. You want to avoid giving opinions or admitting fault for the accident. If possible, you should also gather as much information as you can.
Another important step is to consider working with a local car accident lawyer. A Jacksonville car accident lawyer can explain your rights and ensure you are protected. They can help you navigate through the personal injury compensation process. They can speak on your behalf to the at-fault driver and their insurer. Together, you and your attorney can pursue the at-fault driver and their insurer for financial recovery.
Call The Local Police And File A Car Accident Report Immediately
Your car accident report is a primary piece of your evidence file. It will contain critical information that substantiates your right to recover financial compensation. It tells your Jacksonville car accident lawyer:
- The date, time, and location of your accident—These are important factors in ensuring your potential lawsuit is filed on time.
- Information about the at-fault driver—Document the negligence that caused the accident, their insurer’s contact information, and more.
- Names of accident witnesses—Their objective details can ensure negligence and liability are accurately assigned.
- Notes and diagrams—The investigating officer may indicate points of impact, vehicle positions, driver actions and behaviors, and the accident’s causes and contributing factors.
Per the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), it can take up to ten days for your report to become available. Your lawyer can request the car accident report for you. If you obtain it on your own, be sure to get a copy for your legal team and one for your personal records.
For a free legal consultation 800-747-3733
Say Only What Is Necessary At The Scene Of The Accident
You have the right to obtain specific information from the at-fault driver at the accident scene. Outside of exchanging required information, avoid oversharing or arguing with the at-fault driver or making any statements about fault or blame. Anything you say might later be misconstrued and negatively affect your case.
You can allow a lawyer to handle all communication with the at-fault driver or any representative of their insurance company. Your lawyer can ensure your financial recovery is not unduly hindered, impacted by bad faith insurance tactics, and resolved with a speedy, yet insufficient, settlement.
Let A Jacksonville, FL, Car Accident Attorney Handle Your Case
When you opt to hire a local lawyer rather than pursue the at-fault driver on your own, they can ensure that your rights are met and that your request for compensation meets all legal parameters. They will ensure you:
- Get the benefits of personal injury protection (PIP) coverage
- Fight for all recoverable third-party compensation
- Accurately assess intangible non-economic damages
- Speak with interested parties on your behalf
- Complete and submit insurance claim forms
- Answer any questions and address any concerns
- Regularly update you on the progress of your case
By working with a lawyer, you also gain the time you need to focus on your injuries and recovery. While you do, your lawyer can focus on building the best possible case for you.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
You Can Seek Damages From A Negligent Driver After A Car Accident In Jacksonville
An important role of your car accident lawyer is ensuring your case gets the accurate assessment required to ensure it is not undervalued or underpaid. Recoverable damages can include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Property loss
- Physical disability
- Physical disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
Where applicable, you may also have the right to recover wrongful death damages. Your lawyer will explain what compensation is recoverable with a wrongful death action and the time you have to pursue compensation.
Filing A Lawsuit After A Car Accident Within The State-Mandated Timeline
The sooner you get a personal injury lawyer involved in your compensation request, the better. Under Florida Statutes:
- § 95.11(3)(a): The personal injury statute of limitations generally gives you up to four years from the date of the accident to file your lawsuit
- § 95.11(4)(d): The wrongful death statute of limitations generally gives you up to two years from the date of demise to file your lawsuit
Your lawyer will ensure your potential lawsuit is filed on time so that your right to recover damages is not placed at risk.
Contact Our Free Car Accident Review Team Now
Were you or a loved one recently injured in a collision? If you were, our law firm can help you protect your rights in Jacksonville. We will review the details and merits of your accident and pursue the negligent driver and their insurance company. Contact our case review team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine to get started right away.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW