Tampa is working to prevent wrongful death accidents on the road through various construction projects. As more residents move to the Tampa area and tourism remains a primary source of revenue in Florida, these projects could save lives.
Unfortunately, fatal traffic accidents will still occur no matter what road safety measures our city leaders take. If you lost a loved one in a fatal traffic accident in Tampa, a wrongful death attorney can seek justice for you.
How Can Tampa Improve Motorist and Pedestrian Safety?
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) lists many current road construction projects in Tampa, including ones on or near:
- U.S Highway 92
- U.S. 301
- Interstate 275
- Interstate 4
- Interstate 75
- State Road 60
- Hillsborough Avenue
- U.S. Highway 41
- Dale Mabry Highway
- Fletcher Avenue
- Fowler Avenue
- Florida Avenue
- Nebraska Avenue
If you’ve traveled through Tampa recently, you know that construction is ever-present. Many of these projects are intended to improve road safety by:
- Refinishing roads with uneven or potholed surfaces
- Expanding lanes
- Adding new lanes
- Adding traffic signals
- Adding roundabouts
- Adding medians
- Adding turn lanes
While many of these measures will create safer roads and save lives, there is no way to prevent all traffic accidents. Collisions will continue to happen, and some of those accidents will tragically be fatal.
Construction Projects May Increase the Risk of Accidents in Tampa
Ironically, construction projects meant to create a safer Tampa may increase the risk of fatal collisions. Construction-related traffic accidents can happen when:
- Construction cones are placed too close to the roadway
- Construction debris enters the roadway
- Construction vehicles enter the roadway
- Construction workers stand too close to oncoming vehicles
- Motor vehicles enter the construction zone
- The demarcation between the construction zone and the roadway isn’t obvious enough
The Federal Highway Administration notes that work zone accidents increased as Americans returned to their post-lockdown routines. Tampa’s roads are as busy as ever, suggesting that construction-related traffic accidents are a clear and present danger to motorists and the workers themselves.
For a free legal consultation 800-747-3733
When Is a Motor Vehicle Accident in Tampa a Wrongful Death Accident?
If a motor vehicle accident claims a victim’s life, it may be a wrongful death accident. If one or more parties’ negligence contributed to the accident, they may be liable for the wrongful death.
Negligence Is the Litmus Test for a Wrongful Death
Attorneys use the standard of negligence to determine liability for fatal traffic accidents. In other words, we prove negligence by:
- Establishing the duty of care: A duty of care requires someone to act in a responsible manner. For example, motorists have a duty of care to drive their vehicles cautiously.
- Proving that the liable party violated the duty of care: Attorneys work to show how those who are liable for your accident violated their duty of care. For instance, when a municipality puts a work crew in a dangerous position, that’s a violation of the duty of care.
- Showing causation between negligence and the accident: Attorneys use evidence, witness accounts, and more to prove a direct link between the liable party’s negligence and the accident in question.
- Proving the client’s damages: Finally, attorneys prove in a step-by-step manner exactly how the liable party caused you harm.
While this general blueprint remains the same, the details of each case differ. An attorney can investigate your loved one’s accident in full detail and then apply it to this framework.
I Lost a Loved One in a Fatal Traffic Accident in Tampa. What Should I Do?
Our firm extends its sincere condolences for your loss. We are always heartbroken to encounter clients who have lost a loved one. Our attorneys are ready to work hard to get justice for you and your loved one, and we advise that you contact us as soon as possible.
If you cannot reach out right away, we encourage you to:
- Avoid speaking with insurers or anyone else involved in the accident
- Secure any evidence that could be useful to your case
- Document the damages you’ve suffered, including the psychological toll of your grief
- Speak with an attorney as soon as possible
While we understand that you may be occupied with many responsibilities, hiring an attorney should be a priority.
There May Be a Deadline for Filing Your Wrongful Death Case in Tampa
The likely filing deadline for your case is a key reason to hire an attorney as soon as possible. Florida Statutes § 95.11 generally requires you to file a wrongful death case in Tampa within two years of the decedent’s passing.
People who are coping with a loss can easily lose track of time. By hiring an attorney, you can focus on the grieving process without worrying about your case.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Recoverable Damages in Fatal Tampa Traffic Accident Cases
It’s immensely difficult to measure the cost of a fatal traffic accident, but that’s the mission of a wrongful death attorney. Your legal team can identify every damage resulting from your loved one’s passing, such as:
- Funeral expenses
- The decedent’s pain and suffering
- Your pain and suffering
- Loss of spousal companionship
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of the decedent’s household services and contributions
The best wrongful death attorneys know how to identify your damages while respecting your privacy and your loved one’s memory.
How a Tampa Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Seek Justice for Your Loss
An experienced Tampa wrongful death lawyer can:
- Investigate the accident that caused your loved one’s passing
- Identify all liable parties
- Document and calculate damages
- Lead settlement negotiations
- Take your case to trial, if necessary
Our firm goes the extra mile for those who tragically lose loved ones in Tampa. Let us lead the fight for justice so you can focus on your well-being and your family.
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today for Your Free Consultation
A wrongful death accident sends shockwaves through people’s lives and causes damages that deserve justice. A wrongful death lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine wants to help seek that justice for you.
Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about our legal services in Tampa.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW