Our country counts on big rig trucks to carry needed cargo from city to city. As important as these commercial trucks and their drivers are to the economy, when accidents occur, passengers in smaller vehicles get seriously hurt. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), more than 4,800 large trucks were involved in fatal crashes. More than 60,000 people were left injured due to these collisions.
If you suffered injuries or a loved one died due to an accident with a big rig truck, a Palm Coast big rig truck accident lawyer can help. Our team of attorneys at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can identify the liable party or parties and hold them accountable via an insurance claim or lawsuit.
Big Rig Truck Accidents in Palm Coast
The United States counts on a thriving trucking industry with approximately 2 million semi-trucks (tractors) and 5.6 million semi-trailers (tractor-trailers). A big rig is essentially a massive truck with a trailer attached at the back for hauling freight. Some cities rely on trains to transport cargo, but semi-trucks are preferred for ferrying smaller loads.
Popular Mechanics reports roughly 68% of U.S. cargo is transported via semi-truck. The industry is busy trying to hire truck drivers to keep up with the demand. Unfortunately, more drivers on the road mean more accidents. These crashes can be attributed to various factors, including:
- Unrealistic work schedules and targets
- Insufficient training of truck drivers, perhaps due to budget cuts
- Systems of remuneration that encourage working long hours
- A tire blowing out due to wear and tear
If you believe any of the factors above or some type of negligence caused your big rig truck accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and more. A Palm Coast big rig truck accident lawyer from our firm can investigate the case, negotiate with insurers, and litigate if necessary to fight for your rights.
Common Injuries Due to Big Rig Accidents
Large commercial vehicles such as 18-wheelers, tractor-trailers, semi-trucks, and other big rigs typically weigh an estimated 80,000 pounds. With cargo on board, they can weigh even more. If one of these trucks collides with a smaller passenger vehicle, the results can be catastrophic.
Common injuries that might result from a crash with a big rig truck include, but are not limited to:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TMIs)
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Broken bones
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Neck and back injuries
- Loss of limb(s)
If any of these injuries happened to you or a loved one after a big rig truck accident caused by negligence, you may be facing weeks or even months of rehabilitation. You or your family member may be out of work and unable to perform previous job duties due to accident-related injuries. This is where a Palm Coast big rig truck accident lawyer can help.
Our Attorneys Work on a Contingent-Fee Basis
You should not have to face this legal battle on your own. You should not have to pay expenses out of your own pocket for an accident you did not cause. Our attorneys work on a contingency fee. We will handle your case from start to finish without you ever paying a dime. Our fee will come out of a percentage of the settlement or court award we win for you. You worry about getting better. We take care of everything else.
What You Should Do After a Big Rig Crash
Seeing a big rig cruise past you on the highway can be unnerving, let alone getting into an accident with one.
If you find yourself in this predicament, take the following measures:
- Call 911 to report the accident and let the dispatcher know if you need an ambulance so they can deploy paramedics
- Get yourself to a safe location away from the mangled wreck as it could be unstable and roll over or spark an explosion
- Get the insurance information of the other motorists involved, their phone numbers, and home addresses
- Refrain from placing blame or admitting fault before speaking to an attorney
- Document the scene by taking pictures of the vehicle damage, your injuries, skid marks, shattered glass, damaged objects like guardrails, etc.
- Report the accident to your insurance agency, but don’t admit fault
- Get a copy of the police report or tracking number so you can follow up with the nearest precinct
- Interview witnesses at the scene; they could be bystanders, other motorists, or passengers in your vehicle
- Keep all medical records, number of hospital visits, out-of-pocket expenditures, travel costs, and any other accident-related expenses
- Note your downtime from work and how much income you’ve lost
- Document changes in your quality of life after the accident, such as hiring a sitter for your kids or installing a wheelchair ramp
Most importantly, seek medical attention as soon as you can after the accident. Some injuries do not manifest until a day or two after the crash. A doctor should check you for injuries and document any you may have. Also, make sure to follow any treatment plan the doctor gives you. This will help when you file a claim for compensation.
Compensation You Can Seek Following a Big Rig Accident
If you or a loved one is a victim of a big rig truck accident, you may be entitled to economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages can be documented through receipts, bills, and other accident-related expenses. Non-economic damages are less tangible and account for your physical and emotional losses due to the accident.
After examining your unique circumstances, your lawyer may seek financial recovery for the following damages:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Lost income (now and in the future)
- Reduced earning capacity
- Current and future medical expenses
- Wrongful death
- Exemplary (e.g., loss of consortium with a spouse)
- Property damage
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Your lawyer will take into account all of your damages and ensure you seek the full value of your claim.
Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for Help Today
Were you hurt in Palm Coast following an accident with a big rig? A lawyer can investigate your case and file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the trucking company or other responsible entity.
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we strive to win the highest settlements and trial verdicts for our truck accident clients. Let us handle the legal process while you focus on recuperating. Contact us today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free case review, where we will explore your legal options.
We Can Help.