Slip and fall accidents often cause serious injuries that can be ongoing or even life-threatening. All property owners have a legal responsibility to ensure their property is safe from hazards. Individuals commonly suffer injuries on another person’s property when they encounter ripped or torn carpeting or carpeting that is not properly secured.
If you or someone you love has suffered injuries due to damaged carpeting, learn how a Naples slip and fall lawyer with the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine could help. Call us today for a free consultation.
In some cases, carpeting becomes worn over time, leading to rips, tears, or damage that can cause falls. Any carpet that is improperly secured or maintained can become a safety hazard over time. In other cases, rips and tears near the edges of carpets can prove dangerous as they transition to hardwood, tile, or stone flooring. Some of the ways carpeting can become dangerous over time include the following:
- Failing to properly secure the carpet to the flooring underneath it, causing a greater risk of rips, tears, or sliding
- Not repairing rips and tears in the actual carpet itself, causing a person to catch their foot in that area, leading to a trip or slip and fall accident
- Not replacing worn areas of carpeting that change the texture of carpet in a certain area, causing a person to lose their balance or slip and fall
Elderly People and Slip and Fall Accidents Caused by Carpeting
Many people slip and fall on carpeting but do not suffer serious injuries. However, if an elderly person slips and falls due to ripped or torn carpeting, they may suffer life-threatening or serious injuries as a result. While more than 800,000 people visit emergency rooms every year because of falling injuries, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the results can be catastrophic if the victim is an older adult.
Elderly people often have challenges with balance and stability, decreased bone density, and the inability to react quickly. All these factors can make a slip and fall accident more severe for older people. However, it is important to note that even healthy adults may suffer serious injuries from a slip and fall accident.
Injuries in Carpet-Related Slip and Fall Accidents
Each slip and fall accident involves different circumstances, and again, the injuries suffered will often depend on the person’s health. However, injuries that could result from a slip and fall accident caused by carpeting that is ripped or torn are:
- Broken or fractured bones (often in the hands or arms after attempting to break the fall, or the hips when a person directly impacts a hip during a fall)
- Traumatic brain injuries (concussions, brain bleeding, fractured skull)
- Internal organ damage or internal bleeding
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
Some of these injuries may create longer-lasting complications. If a person requires extended bed rest because of their injuries, they could develop infections or even sepsis. Some injuries may require hospitalizations or surgeries. Unfortunately, in some cases, serious slip and fall injuries could result in death.
If your loved one died from a slip and fall accident, consider speaking with the legal team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine. You can learn more about how a Naples personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal options. You may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of your loved one. Call us today for a free consultation.
Determining Liability for Slip and Fall Accidents
According to the Journal of Injury & Violence Research, carpeting is one of the major reasons a slip and fall accident occurs, resulting in injuries. Determining who is liable for a slip and fall accident can be legally complex and challenging. However, if your injuries from a slip and fall accident were the direct result of carpeting that a property owner failed to maintain, you may have the legal right to pursue compensation from one (or more) of the following parties:
- The property owner (business owner, private residence owner, etc.)
- The property manager or management company
- The renter of a property
- A government entity
Deciding who you will file a claim or lawsuit against is important as it will establish a foundation upon which you may have the right to receive compensation for your injuries and losses.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help You
If you experienced a slip and fall accident, you likely have astronomical medical bills and pain and suffering. You may not be able to return to work due to your physical injuries. A slip and fall lawyer can help you seek compensation for your injuries and losses in the following ways:
- Conduct an independent investigation into the slip and fall accident and ensure that evidence (such as the carpet) is preserved to prove your case
- Hire expert witnesses to testify on your behalf
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to seek a settlement that can help cover your losses
- Represent you in court if an insurance company does not offer you a fair settlement
Consider Working with a Slip and Fall Lawyer Today
If you suffered injuries or losses due to a slip and fall accident related to a torn or ripped carpet, contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today for a free consultation.
We can learn more about the specifics of your situation. We can also explain how a Naples carpeting that is ripped or torn slip and fall lawyer may be able to help you seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
We Can Help.