Car accidents in Jacksonville, Florida, have several common causes, from drowsy driving to poor road conditions. Knowing the causes of roadway incidents is essential since it could help you avoid a crash in the future.
Causes Of Car Accidents In Jacksonville, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida, is a major metropolitan area with just under one million residents; the larger a city is, the more roadway incidents it tends to see. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported that there were 149 fatal crashes in Duval County in 2022. These are the most common causes of car accidents in Jacksonville:
- Speeding: The National Highway Safety Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that speeding contributes to about one-third of fatal car accidents. Traffic congestion, which urban areas like Jacksonville experience, often causes drivers to speed or act erratically.
- Reckless driving: According to the Insurance Information Institute, careless or reckless driving often leads to fatal car accidents. This can look like failing to use turn signals, ignoring stop signs, and drifting into oncoming lanes of traffic.
- Drinking and driving: The FMCSA reported that 31 fatal car crashes in Duval County were caused by substance use, like drugs or alcohol, in 2022.
- Poor weather conditions: On average, over half of Jacksonville’s July days see rain. Slippery road conditions are a known risk factor in car accidents.
- Drowsy driving: Drowsy driving is another risk factor in car accidents. Those that suffer from sleep conditions like sleep apnea are particularly susceptible to these accidents.
Avoiding A Car Accident
Staying safe on Jacksonville’s roads, while important, isn’t rocket science. Using a rideshare service if you’ve been drinking and remaining attentive behind the wheel is self-explanatory. However, additional roadway safety tips never hurt. The NHTSA recommends these specific measures to reduce your chances of getting into a crash:
- Always get a good night’s sleep before a long road trip
- Check your medications to see if they could make you drowsy
- Understand how your medical conditions can impact your ability to drive
- If you’re a cyclist, wear a helmet, and learn the rules of the road in detail
- Motorcyclists should always wear road leather, even if it’s hot out
- Use turn signals and practice basic roadway etiquette
- Refrain from tailgating other drivers
Types Of Car Accidents That Can Happen In Jacksonville, FL
Car-to-car accidents are broken into four main categories:
- Rear-end collision: Rear-end crashes involve one car crashing into the rear of another vehicle. While potentially dangerous, these accidents aren’t usually fatal unless they involve high speeds.
- Angle collisions: Angle collisions are a broad category, including instances where one car strikes another at an angle. These accidents can be quite dangerous, particularly when a vehicle hits another directly in the side, also known as a T-bone.
- Sideswipe: Sideswipes are indirect collisions when the face of a car drags along the side of another.
- Head-on: In a head-on collision, two cars going opposite directions crash directly into each other.
Car-to-car accidents are the only type of car accident, however. Other types include:
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Collisions with a fixed object, like a tree or signpost
- Collisions with roadway debris
Common Car Accident Injuries
There are two primary types of car accident injuries:
- Impact injuries: Impact injuries are caused by a driver striking an object or surface during a crash. For example, a driver being thrown from a car and hitting the pavement would be a form of impact injury.
- Penetrating injury: During a car accident, it’s common for loose objects like glass, metal and car parts to go airborne. When they strike a driver, they can cause penetrating injuries, like cuts or lacerations.
These types of injuries can cause various kinds of medical conditions, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Torn ligaments
- Cuts and scrapes
- Limb amputation
- Broken bones
- Herniated discs
What Should I Do After A Car Accident In Jacksonville?
If you were recently involved in a car accident in Jacksonville, consider following these steps:
- Seek medical attention: After a car accident, seeking medical attention is essential for two reasons. First, you might not know that you’re injured. A doctor can provide a diagnosis and treatment plan. Second, doctor’s appointments and reports are key evidence during insurance claims and lawsuits.
- Gather evidence: Gather as much evidence of your accident and injuries as possible. Cell phone images, the contact information of those involved in the accident, and proof that you visited a doctor are all important.
- Consider legal support: Making sense of insurance claims and lawsuits after a car accident is often confusing. A Jacksonville car accident lawyer can help you make sense of your accident’s aftermath and plan what to do next.
Work With A Jacksonville Car Accident Lawyer Today
Our legal team serving Jacksonville is here to help after a collision. Our Jacksonville car accident lawyers can negotiate with insurers, pursue compensation, and file a lawsuit if needed. At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we’ve won millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Call our firm today to learn more about what we can do for you.
We Can Help.