If you lost a loved one due to a fatal accident, the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine could help you seek justice. We assist the families of Florida accident victims with pursuing compensation for medical care, funeral expenses, lost income, and more.
While financial awards cannot erase the pain of your loved one’s death, they can ensure their accident does not jeopardize your family’s financial future. Our Miramar wrongful death lawyers can act against the negligent party that caused your loved one’s fatal accident.
Fatal Accidents in Miramar
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the leading cause of death for Americans ages 1 to 44 is unintentional injuries. Falls, drownings, and motor vehicle collisions are among the top causes of unintentional fatal accidents nationwide.
According to the Florida Department of Health, in Broward County (home to Miramar), nearly 1,300 residents suffered an unintentional fatal accident injury in 2020. This total includes 127 falls, 135 motor vehicle occupant deaths, and 57 motorcyclists’ deaths.
Our team can help if your loved one suffered a fatal injury because of:
- A car, truck, or motorcycle accident
- A pedestrian accident
- A bicycle accident
- A slip and fall
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
- A defective product, drug, or medical device
- A swimming pool accident
- A dog bite
- A workplace accident
- A construction accident
- A birth injury
- A violent act (e.g., gunshot or stabbing)
Florida Wrongful Death Compensation
In Florida, wrongful death compensation falls into two categories: awards on behalf of the deceased’s estate and awards on behalf of surviving family members. In general, damages may include:
- Medical expenses: We can recover the cost of medical treatment related to your loved one’s fatal injury. For example, you could claim reimbursement for emergency transportation, doctors and hospital fees, surgeries, medications, and nursing services.
- Funeral expenses: Funeral expenses can add up to thousands of dollars. We can seek awards to help you pay for services, burial, or cremation.
- Lost wages: We can pursue the value of your loved one’s lost wages, benefits, and earnings from the time of injury until death. In addition, we can seek awards for income and benefits the deceased would have earned had they lived.
- Pain and suffering: Surviving family members may qualify for awards for the mental trauma caused by their loved one’s death. We can also seek compensation for the loss of your loved one’s companionship, protection, guidance, and emotional support.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Case?
Unlike some states, Florida does not allow family members to file a wrongful death action. Instead, Florida Statutes § 768.20 states that the decedent’s personal representative (executor) must file the case on behalf of the estate and survivors.
The decedent’s spouse, minor children (adoptive or biological), and parents can recover awards. If none of these beneficiaries survive the deceased, other family members might recover damages. When filing a claim, the executor must list any potential beneficiaries, including the estate.
We Can Establish Liability for Your Loved One’s Accident
According to Florida Statutes § 768.19, a wrongful death results from “the wrongful act, negligence, default, or breach of contract or warranty of any person.” Therefore, you must prove that your loved one’s death stemmed from one of these actions to win your wrongful death case.
Depending on your loved one’s fatal injury, the liable party could be a vehicle driver, manufacturer, medical professional or facility, or a business or residential property owner. In addition, to prove liability, our team will investigate your loved one’s accident and collect evidence, including:
- Information from the accident scene
- Medical records
- Expert medical opinions
- Eyewitness testimony
- Video or surveillance footage
- Crash reconstruction reports
- Police and accident reports
- Workplace records
Responsive Legal Care With The Law Offices Of Anidjar & Levine
Losing a loved one can devastate a family, and we understand you and your family are grieving. However, while seeking financial compensation may be the last thing on your mind, pursuing awards may be necessary to settle your loved one’s estate and protect your financial future.
Let the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine handle your case so you can worry about getting your life back on track. We will take care of every aspect, from filing your initial insurance claims to representing you at trial if necessary. Our team is here not only to meet your legal needs but also to support you throughout the process. We will:
- Treat you and your family with respect and compassion
- Give your case the attention it deserves
- Provide you with your attorney’s phone number so you can reach out anytime
- Return your phone calls and emails as quickly as possible
- Provide frequent case updates
- Fight for the most beneficial settlement or verdict possible
Our hundreds of five-star reviews reflect our commitment to service. Here is what a previous client has to say about our attorneys:
“I can honestly say that Travis Greene and Shire Patel, attorneys at Anidjar & Levine, treated me like family after my accident. The thoughtfulness, attention to detail, follow-up phone calls and emails, scheduling appointments, and helping with repairs to my car were things I could never have accomplished without them. My sincerest heartfelt appreciation to them and their amazing firm. I would have no problem whatsoever recommending them to anyone and everyone.” – Andrea V.
Get Started on Your Case Before Time Runs Out
Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d) sets the deadline for filing a Miramar wrongful death lawsuit at two years. Do not wait too long to take legal action, even if you believe your claim will resolve via insurance. You want to leave ample time to build your case. Unfortunately, an expired statute can negatively affect insurance negotiations.
Call Today for a Free Consultation
To get started on your case today, call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for a free case review. A member of our team can answer your questions and connect you with a Miramar wrongful death lawyer. In addition, we’ll help you seek justice at no upfront cost to you.
We Can Help.