The main difference between bodily injury (BI) insurance and personal injury protection (PIP) insurance is that the latter, PIP, provides coverage for injury to you and others involved in the accident, while BI protects against lawsuits made against you if you are responsible for an accident. BI does not compensate for your own injuries. The following points are discrepancies:
- Another difference between bodily injury and PIP: BI will include legal representation if you are at fault in a car accident and get sued where PIP does not
- Another difference between bodily injury and PIP: BI protects you financially including your personal assets if you are sued, where PIP will only cover medical costs, lost earnings, or funeral expenses up to a capped amount of $10,000
Purchasing BI also requires you to have uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM) coverage in accordance with Florida Statutes § 627.727, which is not the case for PIP. Florida Statutes §324 discusses the financial responsibility of both policies. UM insurance will cover injuries that you could sustain in the event of a serious accident where someone else is liable. BI can extend to cover family who lives with you and people who drive your vehicle with your permission.
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 747-3733
Understanding Coverage of Your Auto Insurance Policy is Key
Having the right amount of insurance coverage is perhaps the most important thing you can do to protect yourself and your family in the event of a car accident. Without such protection, you could be left paying for everything out of your own pocket, even if you are not at fault for an accident. It is important to read the terms and coverage of your car insurance policy to understand exactly what is covered.
If you are involved in a crash or have any concerns about the protection offered by your insurance, you could benefit by talking to a lawyer. A lawyer can explain the difference between bodily injury insurance and PIP insurance to help you understand the protection you and your family have in the event of an accident.
Seek Legal Advice And Protect Your Rights
It is crucial to purchase adequate auto insurance so that you do not have to pay for someone else’s mistake. Lawyers know how upsetting an accident can be. It is upsetting when you think that your full coverage insurance will pay for the financial damages of another motorist’s negligent driving, and it does not.
It is imperative to understand the difference between bodily injury and PIP. Attorneys can answer any questions you have about both types of policies. The lawyers at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine will help you protect your rights in the event of an insurance claim by:
- Seeking just compensation for your injuries and loss
- Representing you in court, if necessary
- Advising you about any legal questions you may have
- Filing all paperwork within relevant timelines
- Handling all communication with insurance companies
Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today for effective representation in car accident legal matters or call 1-800-747-3733 for further information.