An article in the
Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine details the case of an intrauterine device (IUD) created and inserted for the purpose of birth control breaking inside of the uterus. This specific case falls in line with allegations that have been made against specific types of IUDs—in this case, a Paragard® IUD—breaking after they are inserted into a woman’s uterus.
A Broken IUD May Pose Serious Health Risks
The Paragard® IUD is a T-shaped birth control device that uses copper to suppress the biological processes that may generally lead to pregnancy. On their website, Paragard® safety information includes several possible sided effects of having the device implanted, including:
- Difficulty removing the Paragard® device, in which case you may have to undergo surgery
- The development of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), a condition that may result in its own set of health consequences
- Expulsion, or the IUD becoming dislodged and expelled from the uterus
- Perforation of the uterus, which may also lead to significant health consequences
The health risks associated with IUDs, whether they are broken or intact, are quite serious. Pelvic inflammatory Disease (PID) can cause particularly alarming problems, which may include:
- Infections within your reproductive tract that may contribute to infertility
- Pain in your pelvic region that may recur for years
- Abscesses in your reproductive tract, which could also contribute to difficulty conceiving
- Pain that arises when you attempt to have sex
- Strange vaginal bleeding patterns
- A heavy, foul-smelling discharge
Any one of these symptoms, or any other health events that alarm you, could be an indication that your reproductive health may be at risk. If you are wondering can an IUD break inside you because you are experiencing pain or discomfort, it is critical that you seek medical treatment if you have had a Paragard® IUD or a similar type of IUD implanted and subsequently experience adverse health effects.
IUD-Related Health Problems Could Be Due to Negligence
If you experience adverse health events that are ultimately deemed the result of an intrauterine device, then you may begin to wonder what went wrong. While experiencing pain or discomfort, you may be asking can an IUD break inside you? There are a few possible reasons why an IUD could cause health complications, and they may include:
- The device itself was faulty or otherwise dangerous
- The person who installed the device did a poor job
- The person charged with monitoring your reproductive health failed to spot one or more problems
You may have been the victim of one or more forms of negligence, and your immediate health, as well as your ability to conceive children, may have also been put at risk.
A Lawyer Can Help With an IUD Lawsuit
If you experienced health complications from an IUD device, a lawyer can:
- Help determine the specific reason why you were harmed
- Help determine the responsible parties
- Collect evidence
- Initiate your lawsuit
- Calculate and request compensation on your behalf
- Defend your rights
If pain or discomfort has you asking how can an IUD break inside you, you should seek medical attention immediately. There is nothing more important than your health, and after you are safe, you could be entitled to compensation if your wellness was compromised by negligence.
Call Our Team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today
We go the extra mile for each of our clients, and we will do the same for you as we pursue any compensation that you are entitled to. Call our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation.
We Can Help.