Though big rig trucks keep the economy going, they tend to cause some of the most catastrophic and fatal traffic accidents. If you were recently in a big rig truck accident, you might be eligible to claim compensation.
However, since such claims are challenging to handle, it may be best to hire a Miramar big rig truck accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for legal help.
What to Do After a Big Rig Truck Accident in Miramar
If you were in a big rig truck accident due to someone else’s negligence, you might have a right to claim compensation. You must know what to do after the accident to protect your claim.
Here are some essential steps to take after the crash:
- Call the Police: Local authorities, such as the police, play a significant role in accident scenes. Since the police know traffic laws and the kind of evidence to collect, they can help determine fault. While at the location, the police will collect crucial evidence and can issue tickets or make an arrest. Don’t leave the crash scene or move your vehicle before calling the police.
- Gather Evidence: Depending on your condition after the accident, you should try and gather evidence, such as pictures of the scene, photos of your injuries, witness contact information, driver information, name of the trucking company, name of police officers at the scene, and pictures of damages to the involved vehicles.
- Seek Medical Attention: If your injuries are severe, the chances are that you’ll be attended to by the EMT and transferred to a hospital. However, if you can move after the crash, you must seek medical attention immediately. You can only prove you sustained an accident-related injury with medical records and bills. It’s vital to go to the hospital immediately after the accident, regardless of the severity of your injuries.
- Call Your Insurance Company: It’s essential to report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. This is a requirement of your car insurance policy. If you fail to adhere to the policy terms, you can face some penalties, and your insurer can deny covering the damages to your vehicle.
- Call a Truck Accident Lawyer: Hiring a truck accident lawyer after the crash is vital to protect your claim. Your lawyer will offer legal advice on what to do and handle all correspondence with the liable party or parties. It’s best not to sign any documents or accept any offers from responsible parties before consulting your lawyer. Remember, you’re not required to give any statements, and what you say could negatively affect your claim.
- Document Your Injuries and Recovery Process: Take pictures at the hospital and home. Also, document your recovery journey, challenges you face, medical bills, doctors’ appointments, and trips to physical and mental therapy appointments. Accident-related expenses and any other pertinent information will help your claim. Since you may have to claim economic and non-economic damages, your injuries and proof of the effects of the accident on your life will hugely support your claim.
Remember to follow all medical instructions from your doctor and keep all scheduled appointments. Note that the at-fault insurance company will use insurance adjusters and investigators to determine the validity of your claim. This includes checking if you’re actively participating in your healing. Therefore, if you miss medical or therapy appointments, they may argue that you’re not as injured as you claim.
For a free legal consultation with a big rig truck accidents lawyer serving Miramar, 800-747-3733
Damages to Claim in Big Rig Truck Accidents
Big rig trucks weigh more than 80,000 pounds and are also quite broad. In case of a crash, these trucks can cause several damages to properties, life-threatening injuries, and fatalities.
The law allows victims to claim compensation for various economic and non-economic damages to help them bear the financial burden they incur after a truck accident. These damages include the following:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Disability, scarring, and disfigurement
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Property damages
If the accident was fatal, the victim’s immediate family members could file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit against the liable party. The damages they can claim include loss of support and companionship, funeral and burial expenses, loss of income, and medical bills. If the case goes to trial, the court can also award the victim or family member punitive damages to punish the negligent party for their actions.
MiramarBig Rig Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-747-3733
Possible Defendants in Big Rig Truck Accidents
Big rig truck accidents mainly occur due to negligence, and several parties can be guilty. Truck drivers and trucking companies can be negligent of failing to adhere to federal regulations for commercial trucks and drivers’ misconduct while on duty.
Some of the possible liable parties or defendants in big rig accidents include:
- Trucking company
- Truck driver
- Government entity
- Truck owner
- Truck manufacturer
In some cases, other motorists or road users can also be partially or fully liable for the accident. Since the cause of the accident determines the responsible party, your Miramar big rig truck accident lawyer will use the police report and work with experts to figure out what happened. These experts include accident reconstruction specialists, who can determine the cause of the accident and the liable party or parties.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Let Our Miramar Big Rig Truck Accident Lawyer Help
If you were recently a victim of a big rig truck accident in Miramar, contact our firm immediately. At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, our legal team will advise you and protect your claim, striving to get you fair compensation. Our attorneys work tirelessly to get our clients fair compensation, and we only get paid when you win.
Our team is ready to review your Broward County case and help you fight for your rights. Contact us today for a free case review, and let us handle your case.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW