Trucking accidents are some of the most severe and costly crashes on our roads. According to a Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) 2021 report, more than 5,000 traffic accidents resulted in 60 fatalities and more than 3,600 injuries in Alachua County alone. Some of these accidents involved big rig trucks.
If you suffered injuries or a loved one passed away as a result of a crash with a big rig truck, the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can help. Our Gainesville big rig truck accident attorney can investigate the details of your case, determine liability, and file an insurance claim or lawsuit against those responsible.
How a Gainesville Big Rig Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
Crashes involving big rig trucks are typically more devastating than those involving smaller vehicles. The sheer size of these commercial trucks makes them difficult to maneuver in traffic. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), large trucks are 20 to 30 times heavier than passenger vehicles. Driving large trucks might make it harder to see the road clearly, often resulting in serious accidents.
If you were involved in a crash with a big rig truck that was not your fault, you are most likely in pain and face a lengthy recovery ahead. You may be unable to work right now and are concerned about bills piling up. A Gainesville big rig truck accident lawyer can take the stress of your legal battle while you focus on healing.
Your lawyer will do the following:
- Inform you about your legal rights
- Help manage your medical care and treatment
- Gather evidence to help identify the liable parties (e.g., the police report, your medical records, photos or surveillance video from the accident scene, the truck driver’s employment records, etc.)
- File an injury claim with the insurance company of the party at fault
- Litigate on your behalf in court if negotiations don’t pan out
Our team can even help get your vehicle repaired or replaced after the accident.
For a free legal consultation with a big rig truck accidents lawyer serving Gainesville, 800-747-3733
The Causes of Big Rig Truck Accidents
Whether you’re a driver or a passenger, being involved in an accident with a truck can be devastating. Even though federal agencies such as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) have created safety regulations for these commercial vehicles, they are still involved in accidents all over the country.
A variety of factors can cause big rig truck accidents, including:
- Driver Fatigue: The FMCSA has clearly defined hours-of-service (HOS) regulations for truck drivers to help prevent driver fatigue. However, drivers often go past their maximum allowable driving hours to keep up with delivery demands, leading to fatigued driving and accidents.
- Distracted Driving: Truck drivers are often distracted by cell phones, GPS units, and other devices while driving.
- Inexperience: New truck drivers may not have enough experience and knowledge about trucking regulations and how to operate their vehicles safely.
- Defective Equipment: The truck equipment can cause accidents if it’s not maintained correctly or breaks down on the road. The manufacturer may be held responsible if the truck equipment is faulty, a reason for causing an accident.
- Improper Truck Maintenance: If a trucking company doesn’t properly maintain its trucks or a driver doesn’t check the truck before every trip, an accident could happen when a part fails.
- Improperly Secured Loads: If cargo is improperly loaded and shifts during transit, it can result in a rollover accident, causing harm to any vehicle nearby on the road.
Any number of factors may cause a big rig truck accident in Gainesville. Vehicles considered big rigs may include freight trucks, 18 wheelers, semi-trucks, large tractor-trailers, and commercial trucks.
GainesvilleBig Rig Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-747-3733
Determining Liability for Your Accident
As with other types of motor vehicle accidents, it’s crucial to determine who is responsible for your accident when filing a claim. This may be more challenging for big rig truck accidents because of the number of parties that could potentially be involved.
The first step is determining whether the driver or the trucking company was negligent, causing your injuries and other damages. Several parties that could potentially be held responsible for your injuries due to their negligence include:
The Truck Driver
If the truck driver was negligent or irresponsible, they could be held liable for any accident that occurs as a result. For example, if they were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or while tired, they may be held liable.
The Trucking Company
If the company did not properly maintain their vehicles or forced their drivers to work longer hours than allowed by law, they could be held liable for any accidents resulting from those actions or inactions.
The Truck Parts Manufacturer
If there is a defect in the design or manufacture of the vehicle, such as defective brakes or faulty tires, and that caused your accident, the truck parts manufacturer could be held liable.
State and local governments can also be held liable for traffic accidents caused by poorly maintained roadways or other flawed infrastructure. In these cases, you must file a claim with the government entity before filing a lawsuit. However, the process can be complex, so it may be beneficial to work with an attorney if you intend to pursue legal action against a government entity.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Compensation You May Receive in a Big Rig Truck Accident Case
Big rig accidents cause serious injuries, leaving you with damages. As such, your lawyer can help you seek compensation for two types of damages: economic and non-economic damages, including:
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Current and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Disability and/or scarring
- Loss of enjoyment of activities
- Loss of consortium
If you have suffered in an accident involving a big rig in Gainesville, you may be able to recover one or more damages depending on the circumstances of your case.
Gainesville Big Rig Truck AccidentsYOU CAN TRUST US 800-747-3733
Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for a Free Case Review
Big rig trucks play a necessary role in keeping our economy moving. They haul produce and other goods from one place to another, making our lives more convenient. But if you or someone you love was injured in an accident with a big rig truck, you can seek the compensation you need to move forward.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW