You have a limited time to seek compensation after a motorcycle accident. Each state has its own deadline, or statute of limitations, that restricts your time to file a personal injury lawsuit.
An attorney on our team can guide you through the timeline of a motorcycle accident lawsuit. They can also file an insurance claim to seek a settlement so that you may not have to go to court.
Bikers have the Right to Compensation for Someone’s Negligence
Bikers enjoy the same rights as every other driver on the road. Motorcycle riders and their passengers often suffer severe injuries when they are involved in an accident with a vehicle.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident and someone else is to blame, you could be entitled to compensation.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries can be Devastating
Bikers are more prone to significant injuries because they can be hit twice: once by the impact of the vehicle and again when they hit the pavement.
Common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Neck and/or spinal cord injuries (that could result in paralysis)
- Deep cuts and bruises
- Road rash
The greater the injuries, the higher the damages. This makes motorcycle accidents more complex than other types of motor vehicle accidents.
Gathering Evidence for a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit
A study conducted by the University of South Florida Center for Urban Transportation Research found that the motorist is responsible in 60% of accidents involving a car and a motorcycle.
Gathering evidence is one of the most important aspects of building a case. Our law firm has plenty of staff and resources and can compile key evidence in showing liability, such as:
- Photos or videos of the accident scene, debris, skid marks, and your damaged motorcycle
- Red-light camera (or another closed circuit) footage showing the accident
- Witness statements
- Police reports
- Detailed injury and medical test results
- Previous violations or drug or alcohol test results from the other party
It is important to gather evidence as soon as possible before it erodes, disappears, or is removed.
File a Lawsuit Before the Deadline or You Forfeit Your Opportunity for Legal Action
Florida has a four-year statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits, according to Florida Statutes §9511 (3)(a).
This sounds like plenty of time, but you should consider several factors:
- Your attorney may advise waiting until your doctor has a clear idea of your prognosis based upon the extent and severity of your injuries.
- It takes time to gather evidence, collect documentation, and secure testimony.
- The Covid-19 pandemic has created a serious backlog in civil and criminal courts.
Even though a Miami motorcycle accident lawyer will do the heavy lifting for your lawsuit, you want to feel well enough to understand the process so that you may make a clear-headed decision.
You Should Allow Sufficient Time for Negotiation with the Insurance Company
A personal injury lawyer on our team can file, track, and negotiate your claim with the other party’s insurance company. Although you do not need one of our lawyers to file your claim, you should realize that some insurance companies look for reasons to deny, delay, or downplay your damages.
An attorney with our firm can negotiate a settlement on your behalf. If it is clear that no negotiation can be reached, that may be the time for legal action.
Damages that may be Awarded for a Motorcycle Accident
The timeline for a motorcycle accident lawsuit often depends on the severity of your injuries. If you must have surgery, spend time in a skilled nursing facility, or rehabilitate at home, you could easily accrue six figures worth of bills, lost pay, and other expenses.
You should not have to pay for someone else’s careless act. Our attorneys can help you recover money damages for such expenses as:
- Current and future medical care and treatment
- Lost pay for the time that you are injured
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Other accident-related expenses
If you are disabled because of the accident, a lawyer with our firm may seek additional compensation to make up for lost income and benefits.
How to Choose a Law Firm for a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit
Our law firm helps you in many ways after a motorcycle accident:
- Free case evaluations
- Help with scheduling your appointments and with car repairs
- Provides you with your lawyer’s cell phone number
- You pay nothing unless we recover compensation for you
Do not Wait and Lose Your Chance – Call Today for a Free Case Evaluation
The timeline for a motorcycle accident lawsuit begins the moment you are injured. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for your free case evaluation.
We Can Help.