If you slipped and fell on someone else’s property in Tampa, Florida you might have a claim for compensation for your injuries. At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we help people go after damages for the losses so that they can devote their attention and energy to getting healthy again.
A Tampa slip and fall lawyer can help you pursue your injury claim. Call our office at 1-800-747-3733 today for free consultation. There is no obligation.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call (800) 747-3733
What We Have to Prove to Win a Slip and Fall Injury Claim
The landowner must have been careless in some way, resulting in the harm to you. Merely falling on someone else’s property is not enough to make them pay compensation. Florida law requires us to prove all of these elements of negligence to hold the property owner liable to you:
- There was a hazardous condition on the premises.
- The owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition.
- The owner did not repair the hazard or post adequate warnings about it.
Let’s say that the device that sprays a fine mist of water on the fruits and vegetables in the produce section of the grocery store was malfunctioning. As a result, the mister sprays tiny droplets of water on the floor in front of the produce cases. The wet floor is a hazardous condition.
Shoppers reported the slick area of flooring to the grocery store employees working in the produce department. Because of these notifications, the owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition.
The owner made an appointment for a professional to fix the over spraying device but did nothing else to protect customers. The story could have placed nonskid mats on the puddles to absorb the moisture and make the floor no longer slippery. Also, the grocery store could have blocked off the area of the wet floor and posted warning cones and signs to make customers aware of the hazard. The store took none of these steps.
A shopper slipped on the wet floor and fell, breaking her leg. The store’s negligence caused the injury to the customer, so the store is liable for her damages.
Tampa Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 747-3733
Five Things You Should Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in Tampa, Florida
The exact steps you should take will depend on the facts of your case, but in general, it is a good idea to protect the value of your claim and your physical well-being (switch those two) by doing these five things after slip and fall accident:
- Get medical attention. Your health comes first, so safeguard it by going to the doctor, urgent care center, or emergency room, whichever is appropriate, right away. Even if you do not notice any physical damage, you might have hidden injuries. Neck and back injuries, brain injuries, and internal bleeding do not always have immediate symptoms. Also, your medical records will be valuable evidence of the extent of harm you suffered, and that the slip and fall accident caused your injury harm.
- Preserve the evidence. Have someone take photos of the place where you fell before the owner or employees can change the scene or clean up the dangerous condition. You should also try to collect the names and contact information of people at the location who might have helpful information for your case.
- Notify the property owner. Report the accident to the store as soon as possible. If your injuries make you unable to report the fall right away, have someone give the store written notification on your behalf.
- Contact a Tampa slip and fall lawyer. Once you notify the property owner of your injury, his insurance company will begin the process of defending against your claim. If you do not want to feel like David going up against Goliath, it can be a good idea to get a lawyer on board to protect your interests.
- Complete all of the medical treatment that your doctor ordered. Unless something changes in your condition or you have an adverse reaction to the prescribed treatment plan, you should follow through on your doctor’s orders. If you do not complete the treatment, the insurance company will claim that you would have a better physical recuperation but for your actions.
Damages for a Slip and Fall Accident in Tampa, Florida
Every case is different, and the amount that you can recover as compensation for your injuries will depend on the facts of your case. Here are some of the common types of damages people can recover for slip and fall accident claims:
- Medical treatment for all of the care you needed to treat your injuries. These expenses can include things like the ambulance, urgent care or emergency room, doctor, hospital, surgery, lab work, x-rays, prescription drugs, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages, for the money you missed because of the injury and recuperation time. These damages can include wages, salary, self-employment, and other income you lost.
- Decreased earning potential, if, because of your injuries, you cannot make as much money as before the slip and fall.
- Disability, if your injuries leave you unable to maintain employment to support yourself.
- Rehabilitation center, if you suffered significant injuries that require a stay of weeks, months, or longer in a specialized treatment facility.
- Long-term care center, if your injuries cause you to need daily assistance with medical treatment and personal care.
- Pain and suffering, to compensate you for the physical discomfort and emotional distress you endured.
- Other intangible losses, like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, anxiety, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and a spouse’s claim to loss of consortium as a result of the injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Getting Help for a Slip and Fall Claim in Tampa, Florida
A Tampa slip and fall lawyer can help if you got hurt from a fall on someone else’s property in Tampa, Florida. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 to get a free consultation. We do not charge upfront legal fees to handle these cases. Our fees come out of the settlement or award.