Boat damage due to natural disasters and boat accidents are common in Florida. The state is subject to hurricanes, like Hurricane Ian, and other natural disasters that can cause serious property damage, especially to boats along the coastline.
If your boat has been damaged recently, regardless of the cause, our firm can help. We can hold an insurer to account for your losses even if your boat is a total loss. Find out how a St. Petersburg property claim lawyer can assist you during a free consultation.
Is Boat Damage Covered by My Insurance?
Natural disasters can cause massive damage in residential areas, but they tend to do the most damage in coastal areas. Boats can be damaged severely or destroyed even if they’re safely stowed. Boat insurance can cover the damage or loss; however, it may not cover damage due to hurricanes or flooding.
Accidents can also cause massive damage to boats. An accident involving alcohol use can be especially destructive. If you have boat insurance, it can cover damage to your boat due to an accident. Also, in some circumstances, homeowners’ insurance may cover a limited amount of damage to your boat.
If your boat was damaged or destroyed, do not hesitate to contact our firm. One of our personal injury lawyers in St. Petersburg can contact your insurer(s) for you in order to determine whether you are covered. If you’ve already contacted your insurer(s) and they denied coverage, we can check what your policy covers.
What Is Covered by Boat Insurance?
Many different kinds of marine vessels can be covered by boat insurance, which includes:
- Recreational boats
- Fishing vessels
- Luxury boats
Many different kinds of losses can be covered by boat insurance, such as:
- Hull damage: Severe winds can push or even throw a boat into hazards, like a dock, causing hull damage. Boating accidents can also cause this kind of damage.
- Damage caused by beaching: Winds and waves can beach a boat, damaging its keel or even destroying the boat.
- Damage caused by flooding: This is covered by flood insurance. Your boat may have flooded and even sank due to a surge in the sea level or an accident cracking or puncturing the hull of your boat.
- Other damage or losses: Wind damage to the exterior of your boat may be covered by insurance. Personal property losses may also be covered. If you were in an accident, the harm done to you may also be covered by insurance. Typically, boat insurance does not cover damage to docks.
Recovering Your Losses
Your insurer has the desire and ability to delay, diminish, or deny your compensation claim. They want to keep their profits, so they will do what they have to in order to avoid paying for your losses. They may claim:
- Your losses are minor
- The boat damage existed prior to the incident
- You didn’t prove your losses adequately
- You didn’t valuate your losses appropriately
- You didn’t report the incident soon enough
- The boat damage was caused by flooding which isn’t covered in your policy
How a St. Petersburg Boat Damage Lawyer Can Help You
In addition to protecting and preserving your claim, your lawyer can inventory all of your losses, collect proof of those losses, and then list and evaluate them. All this can help to convince the insurer to compensate you thoroughly and fully.
Your lawyer can also hire experts, such as an accident reconstructionist, to evaluate your losses and provide an estimate. An expert may even be able to corroborate your case with a testimony if your case goes to court.
To help prevent your case from going to court, your lawyer can attempt to negotiate a fair payout with the insurer. If necessary, your lawyer can threaten to sue them or the other party. If your lawyer determines that going to court will benefit your case, your lawyer can then take your case to court.
What The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Can Do for You
As property damage and personal injury attorneys, our team has the experience you need for your case, regardless of what caused the damage to your boat and what may have caused you harm. Our attorneys have experience handling major insurance companies and resolving claims with them, so you’ll be able to rely on your attorney to fight for the compensation you and your family need and deserve.
At our firm, our lawyers go the extra mile for clients. You can expect your lawyer to:
- Handle all communications with the insurer(s)
- Remain available to you anytime via phone
- Update you regularly about your case
- Schedule any appointments for you, if you like
We want you to have a great experience with your attorney like our other clients have, many of whom have offered their testimonials, including the following:
“The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine went above and beyond all expectations in providing me with top-notch service and followed through in successfully settling my case for me and negotiating my medical bills. Their entire staff were very hands-on in providing me with updates. I would highly recommend them to anyone in need of their services!” – Adam S.
Contact Us Today
If your boat was damaged or even destroyed due to a natural disaster or another person’s negligence, our firm can assist you with your claim. You can expect a lawyer from the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine to fight hard for a fair resolution.
During a free consultation, we’ll tell you more about what one of our boat damage lawyers in St. Petersburg can do for you. Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today to schedule a free consultation.
We Can Help.