If a big truck is involved in an accident, the outcome is usually catastrophic, leading to loss of lives, severe injuries, and other damages. Big trucks are 20 to 30 times heavier than smaller regular vehicles, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
If you’re in such a situation, a Neptune Beach truck accident lawyer from our firm could help you seek compensation. We offer legal advice and assist truck accident victims with building personal injury cases.
The Role of a Neptune Beach Truck Accident Lawyer
If you were in a truck accident and another party was liable, a lawyer can help you recover the damages from your insurance provider. Our lawyers can tailor a legal strategy to suit your particular situation.
Below are the advantages of enlisting the services of a truck accident lawyer:
When compared to typical car accidents, truck accidents are much more complicated. Several parties may be blamed for the accident that resulted in damages and injuries. A lawyer can determine who is responsible by gathering evidence and interviewing eyewitnesses. When a truck accident occurs, the major accountable parties are the drivers.
However, other parties may be responsible for the disaster but are not immediately apparent. They may include the following:
- Truck Manufacturers:If a defective part in the truck caused the accident, the truck manufacturer could be held accountable. Truck manufacturers must ensure that the truck’s details are secure before the trucks are released onto the market.
- Truck Loaders: If truck loaders fail to load trucks properly, they may be held accountable for the truck accident. An accident might occur when a truck is loaded incorrectly. Truck loaders are mostly hired from a different firm than the trucking firm.
- Trucking Companies: These companies must ensure the safety of their drivers at all times. Accidents might occur if trucks are not kept in good mechanical condition and their drivers are not adequately trained.
- Truck Owner:The firm that owns the vehicles is not the same as the one that hires the drivers. The truck owners are responsible for mechanical upkeep in this situation. If the owners fail to keep the truck in excellent mechanical condition, they may be held accountable if a technical failure causes an accident.
One of the primary roles of a truck accident lawyer is collecting evidence during the case filing. The lawyer works with the doctors, police, and even experts to ensure the evidence collected is credible and sufficient. The lawyer will organize and present evidence, such as medical records showing the cost of present and future treatment, police reports, videos and photos of the accident scene, and eyewitness reports.
Sometimes the lawyer can seek the services of an expert on accident reconstruction to reconstruct the accident scene to strengthen the case and identify the liable party.
Filing a Court Case
If the insurance company refuses to agree to a reasonable settlement, you could file a lawsuit to receive appropriate compensation. We can file the suit on behalf of the victim and help gather all necessary evidence to support the case.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Like other car accidents, truck accidents usually occur due to various factors. Some of the most common causes include:
- Fatigued Driving: The work schedules of truck drivers are very demanding, and most of them drive for long days and nights. The long working hours can result in a driver being unable to drive safely due to exhaustion and drowsiness, leading to an accident quickly.
- Speeding: A truck moving at high speed can lose control and cause a collision since it’s difficult to stop a massive truck quickly and safely.
- Drunk Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol and illegal substances is reckless behavior that can result in an automobile accident.
- Distracted Driving: Distracted drivers on the road continues to be one of the primary causes of all automobile accidents.
- Mechanical Defects: An accident can happen if the truck has a mechanical defect caused by a manufacturer’s error or a truck company failing to do regular mechanical maintenance.
Victims can seek compensation for injuries due to negligence.
Steps to Follow After a Truck Accident
After a truck accident, those involved are usually confused, especially when the collision causes severe damage. Fortunately, you can take the following steps to protect your rights and claim:
- Call 911. Do this straight away to ask for assistance if people are hurt. The 911 operator will send police and medical assistance.
- Move your vehicle to a safe location. After the truck accident, move your car out of traffic to ensure your safety and that of other road users. However, if the vehicle can’t move, ensure you and passengers move off the road to a safe place far from oncoming traffic.
- Take photos and videos of the accident. You can use your mobile device to take photos and videos of the accident scene as a whole, each vehicle, and, if any, victims’ apparent injuries.
- Exchange your contact and insurance information. Once everyone is safe, ensure to exchange contact information and insurance details with the other driver and any witnesses for later follow-up when collecting evidence.
- Seek medical attention. Even if your injuries are seemingly minor, seek medical attention. Also, ensure to keep all your medical records and present them as evidence when filing your claim case.
- Consider a Neptune Beach truck accident lawyer. The lawyer will offer professional advice and guide you through the claim process so you can rest.
Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for a Free Case Review
Truck accidents can result in lifelong medical conditions and emotional trauma. If the accident occurred due to the negligence of another party, you may receive compensation. You can learn more about the claim process and how a truck accident lawyer from our firm can help.
We Can Help.