Slip and fall accidents can cause severe injuries, generating hefty medical bills and forcing you to miss work. If another party’s negligence caused your slip and fall accident injuries, you might be able to receive financial compensation. You can use this money for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
A Delray Beach personal injury attorney will investigate your accident to verify the at-fault party. They will also calculate your damages, negotiate with insurers, and represent you in court if needed. You worry about getting better. We take care of everything else.
Call our personal injury law firm today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
How Premises Liability Laws Factor into Your Slip and Fall Accident
Under the premises liability laws of the state of Florida, property owners are responsible for ensuring a safe environment for people who occupy or visit.
Property owners must take reasonable steps to maintain their properties and remedy hazardous situations on time. Until the hazard has been rectified, the owner must also clearly post warnings about the danger to prevent a slip and fall.
The law applies a “reasonable person” standard to grasp whether the owner was liable. If they did not recognize the hazard and address it as a “reasonable person” could/would have done, the owner could be liable for damages.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall accidents lawyer serving Delray Beach, 800-747-3733
Investigating Your Slip and Fall Accident to Validate Liability
Our legal team will investigate every aspect of your accident. We will use premises liability as a guide for places to find evidence and analyze the information to gain a clear picture of fault and liability.
This investigation will entail various techniques that successfully build compelling slip-and-fall cases. For example, an experienced personal injury lawyer will:
- Visit the accident scene to look for trace evidence, and check signage and lighting.
- Collect photos and videos (possibly from surveillance cameras).
- Interview witnesses and record their statements.
- Review the property’s safety and building code history.
- Obtain copies of the building accident report.
- Gather medical reports from any medical entity that has treated you.
The evidence we assemble will support our argument for premises liability. Once we have established our position, we can calculate your damages, determining the value of your personal injury claim.
Delray BeachSlip and Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-747-3733
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Delray Beach, FL
Many slip-and-falls result from a property owner or manager’s negligence. Either they knew about the hazard and did not correct it promptly, or they failed to alert building occupants of the danger to prevent injuries.
A property owner or manager may also be negligent if they should have known about a hazard but did not. Specifically, the types of hazards that commonly lead to a slip and fall accident include:
- Stairs without handrails: Stairways are often slippery when wet because water collects on them. If there is no handrail, people must use their hands to hold onto the stairway walls. In addition, stairs without handrails pose a risk to elderly individuals who might lose their balance while climbing the steps.
- Flooring defects: Slippery flooring can make a home unsafe for its residents. For example, if the floor has an uneven surface, this could create tripping hazards. A slippery floor can also increase the risk of slipping and falling.
- Poorly maintained walkways: Walkways are often slick due to rainwater or snowmelt. People need to exercise extra caution when these conditions exist to avoid falls.
- Broken steps: Steps are often dangerous when they are broken or missing. People who step over broken steps run the risk of being injured.
- Unsafe lighting: Poor lighting makes walking around a dark area more difficult. It can also make it harder to see obstacles, such as puddles of water.
- Wet surfaces from spills or leaks: Watery floors or other surfaces can create hazardous conditions and make it hard to maintain balance. Wet floors can trap objects like toys or shoes, which can trip children or adults.
- Improper maintenance: Improper maintenance can leave a home or business vulnerable to damage. For instance, a leaky roof can allow water to enter the structure, causing mold growth.
- Inadequate warning signs: Warning signs are important to help people stay safe. However, poorly placed signs can make it easier for someone to trip and fall.
- Cracked sidewalks, pavements, or uneven floors: Cracks in the pavement or uneven floors can cause people to stumble or fall.
- Cords or cables on the floor: Cables and cords can trip people up. Property managers should keep these items out of the way to keep visitors and guests safe.
- Unmarked steps or curbs: Unmarked steps or curbs can make it easy for people to trip and fall. These areas should be bright colors, so people know where to place their feet.
- Loose rugs: Loose carpets or rugs can make it easier for people to trip or fall. They should be kept taut to reduce the chances of injury. If they aren’t, the responsible party could be found negligent and liable for damages.
- Potholes: Potholes Potholes are common hazards in many cities. The presence of potholes can make it easier for pedestrians to trip and fall. This type of defect should be repaired immediately to prevent injuries.
- Building and safety code violations: Building and safety codes are designed to protect people’s health and safety. Violations of building codes can lead to serious injuries.
Our legal team will investigate your slip and fall accident in Delray Beach, FL, to determine the underlying cause and unearth evidence regarding the property owner’s liability.
If another person’s negligence has hurt you, contact Delray Beach attorney for advice regarding your slip and fall. We will review your case and advise you about your legal options.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Types of Injuries Resulting from Slip and Fall Accidents
Medical expenses will most likely comprise a good portion of your recoverable damages in your slip and fall case. Understanding the scope of your injuries (some of which might not manifest for weeks or months following your accident) represents an important step in determining recoverable damages.
Injuries from this type of accident include:
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Dislocated joints
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
You must seek medical attention as soon as possible after your accident so that your injuries can be directly attributed to your slip and fall accident.
Delray Beach Slip and Fall AccidentsYOU CAN TRUST US 800-747-3733
Wrongful Death Action Following a Slip and Fall Accident
Sometimes, a slip and fall injury results in death. According to Florida Injury Facts, these types of accidents serve as the most common cause of death in Florida, especially among residents who are 65 years of age or older.
If you lost a loved one in a slip-and-fall accident, you are entitled to pursue a wrongful death action. The wrongful death attorneys at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can help you with this undertaking.
Calculating Recoverable Damages
The types and values of damages you may recover in your case depend upon the nature of your injuries and your expected recovery time.
Some types of damages that might appear on your final demand letter to insurers include the following costs:
- Medical care
- Ambulance transportation
- Doctor and surgeon fees
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation services
- Prescription medicine and pain management
- Lost income (including future lost income)
- Lost benefits (including future lost benefits)
- Diminished future potential earnings
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
An experienced attorney will enlist the services of various experts and professionals to determine the extent of your physical, emotional, and economic suffering.
Contact our law firm today if you want more information about how we can assist you with your slip and fall claim.
We Will Do All We Can to Get You the Recovery You Need
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine commit to providing responsive legal care that will give you peace of mind. Once you hire our team, you can feel confident we are handling your case attentively and compassionately.
Contact us today by calling our toll-free number or completing our online form. Your initial consultation is free.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW