A slip and fall accident can result in significant injuries, thousands of dollars in medical expenses, and lost income from missed work. After falling and getting hurt, you may be frustrated, in pain, and worried about how you will pay your bills. You do not have to face this alone.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in Coconut Creek, FL, our personal injury firm is here to assist you. We can help you explore your legal options and pursue damages for your injuries. Contact us today to learn more about how our injury law firm can help you.
The Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries
Slip-and-fall accidents can happen in just about any public or private location and for various reasons. The most common causes of these accidents are:
- Weather-related causes: Tracked-in snow or rain can cause customers to slip inside a store. Improperly maintained sidewalks outside of a building may have slick ice patches.
- Damaged floors, stairs, or walkways: Torn carpets, loose floorboards, missing handrails, broken stairs, and other property damage people can fall are all hazards.
- Cluttered aisles or walkways: Trash, merchandise, equipment, and machines can block pathways and lead to trips and falls.
- Improperly maintained parking lots or sidewalks: Outside a building, people may trip and fall due to potholes, trenches, or gaps in sidewalks.
- Lack of lighting: You cannot avoid what you do not see. If the property owner fails to maintain a reasonable amount of lighting in a store, parking lot, or other location, you can claim damages for your injuries.
If you or someone you love fell on another person’s property, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries. One of our personal injury attorneys can evaluate your case during a free consultation.
Proving Liability in a Slip and Fall Case
Property owners have to maintain a reasonably safe environment for guests and customers. This is called premises liability. When they fail to meet this requirement, they may be held liable for damages.
We must prove the following elements to establish liability in a slip-and-fall case.
- Duty of Care: We must prove the property owner, or another party, had a duty of care to maintain a reasonably safe environment. For example, if you visit a department store in the winter, you expect the store to place mats down to collect snow and display “wet floor” signs warning customers about the hazard.
- Breach of Duty: Next, we must show how the property owner failed in their duty of care. For instance, if several people reported slipping near a door and the manager did nothing to address the problem, that constitutes a breach.
- Proof of Damages: We must prove that you were injured due to that breach of duty. For example, if you slipped on the slick floor and broke a bone, suffered a head injury, or sustained soft tissue damage, your medical records will show that damage.
- Causation: Finally, we must prove the defendant’s breach of duty led to your injuries. Following the same example, this means showing your bone fracture, soft tissue damage, or brain injury was caused by your slip and fall accident.
Once we can establish these factors in your case, we can work to recover damages for your injuries.
Damages You May Recover in a Slip and Fall Case
Every personal injury claim is different, so we can’t give you an estimate of damages until we know more about your case. Below are the most common types of damages we see in slip-and-fall accidents:
Medical Bills Related to Your Slip and Fall
You can often recover medical costs related to your accident. Damages usually cover doctor appointments, medical testing, surgeries, prescription medicines, and mobility devices. You can often recover additional compensation if you require long-term care in your home or rehab facility.
Lost Current and Future Wages
Medical bills may not be your only out-of-pocket costs. You may have missed work due to your inability to work or required medical procedures. You may be able to recover those missing paychecks.
In addition, if your accident compromises your ability to continue working, you may be eligible for compensation for losing future wages and benefits.
Pain and Suffering
Finally, you may be able to recover compensation for your pain and suffering, including mental anguish. A local personal injury lawyer who understands how pain and suffering damages are calculated in Florida can help you navigate this complicated process.
A wrongful death action is a lawsuit brought by the family of someone who has died due to another person’s negligence. The law allows such actions to be filed in cases where there is evidence that the defendant was negligent and caused the victim’s death. A wrongful death claim can also be filed if the victim dies from an injury sustained while riding on a bus or other public transportation vehicle. To bring a wrongful death claim, filing a separate suit against the responsible party must be filed within one year of the date of death.
Why You Need a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Coconut Creek, FL
If you sustained injuries in a fall, you could face challenges when pursuing compensation. A slip-and-fall lawyer in Coconut Creek can help you through the entire legal process. We handle these cases on contingency, meaning you won’t owe us anything unless we get you compensatory damages.
When we take on your case, we will start investigating and gathering evidence about your injuries and how the accident occurred. We may talk to eyewitnesses, gather medical reports, take photos of the scene, and obtain reports of past incidents at the same location.
Next, we will file a claim against the property owner or their insurance company on your behalf. We will take your case to court if we cannot recover the compensation you deserve through settlement negotiations. Our legal team will be by your side each step of the way.
Reach Out to the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine
Don’t wait too long to take legal action. Florida’s statute of limitations sets a strict time limit on your right to ask a court for compensation for your accident losses. Our law firm regularly handles these cases and can use our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.
If you were injured in Coconut Creek, Coral Springs, or elsewhere in Broward County, a slip-and-fall attorney from Anidjar & Levine can evaluate your claim and explain your options. Give us a call or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.
We Can Help.