Truck accidents can be life-threatening, especially on the highway, when vehicles are driving at high speeds. Truck accidents involving 18-wheel semi-trucks greatly puts people at risk of injury or death. If you were involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, you might be entitled to receive compensation for any injuries you sustained in the accident.
A Boca Raton 18-wheeler lawyer at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can assist your case if you want to pursue compensation to recover your losses. Our lawyers are dedicated to fighting for people who have experienced the traumatic consequences of a truck accident.
Our law firm can help you build a case to fight for financial recovery. We do not charge any attorney’s fees until we reach a settlement in your case. Should you decide to reach out to us, we can go over your case and explain your legal options. If you have any questions, we can advise you on how to move forward with your 18-wheeler truck accident claim.
Seek help from a Boca Raton 18-wheeler lawyer at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine. You might be entitled to collect financial compensation for your injuries. Contact our office at 1-800-747-3733, and we will give you a free consultation.
Truck Accidents Statistics Show How Deadly These Accidents Can Be
Getting into an accident with a truck is no small matter. One reason truck accidents can be deadly is because of the weight differences between a truck and the average car.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) mandates that the gross vehicle weight of a vehicle on two or more consecutive axles, such as an 18-wheel semi-truck, must be limited to 80,000 pounds. For comparison, the average weight of a car is just under 3,000 pounds.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), large truck accidents led to 4,136 fatalities. The vast majority of those fatalities were occupants of cars and other passenger vehicles, totaling 67 percent. Truck occupants made up 16 percent of truck accident fatalities, and 15 percent of fatalities were motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Since 2009, the number of truck accident fatalities increased by 51 percent.
Not only do truck accidents result in deaths, but they also cause significant injuries. The National Safety Council (NSC) reported that 112,000 trucks were involved in nonfatal accidents in 2018.
Today, truck drivers are under even more pressure to deliver goods. With the coronavirus hampering the supply chain, people are relying on trucks more than ever. This can result in truck drivers getting less sleep or not following industry regulations when driving, which can result in more accidents.
Truck Accidents Causes Can Range From Speeding to Fatigue
Multiple factors can contribute to how a truck accident occurred. In fact, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) studied some of the common reasons behind truck accidents, which include:
- Lane changes: When a truck changes abruptly and unsafely, it can crash into more than one car. A truck may also get into an accident when changing lanes if they do not see a vehicle in their blind spot.
- Loss of control on the highway: Losing control of an 18-wheeler is a devastating situation to be in. Truck drivers may lose control of their vehicles on the highway during inclement weather, such as rain or snow.
- Vehicle problems: If the truck driver does not keep the truck up to date and well-maintained, then mechanical problems may arise, which may lead to an accident.
- Speeding: When a truck is speeding down the highway, it requires longer distances to come to a full stop. If a truck needs to abruptly stop but is speeding, it can cause an accident because it does not have enough room or time to stop.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers may get distracted while driving, which can leave enough time to get into an accident. Inattention can be caused by smartphone use, changing the radio, road obstacles, or eating and drinking.
- Bad weather: Inclement weather such as rain, snow, or fog can be dangerous for any type of vehicle, but the risk of danger increases with trucks due to their size and weight. If a truck driver cannot see properly or does not drive at a safe speed, they may not be able to stop or avoid hazards on the road in time.
- Fatigue: Whenever someone drives while tired, they are taking a risk with their safety and the safety of others. Truck drivers must follow federal hours of service regulations, or they risk falling asleep at the wheel.
If a truck driver does not abide by road rules, it can lead to disastrous results. Drivers need to have complete control of their vehicles to maintain their duty of care toward others on the road.
If you were injured in a truck accident, you may be able to recover damages by filing a personal injury claim. Seek the help of a Boca Raton 18-wheeler lawyer to help you with your case. Get in touch with our office for a free consultation at 1-800-747-3733, and learn how we can guide you through the claims process.
A Lawyer Can Help You Build Your Truck Accident Case
Working with a lawyer might mean you can breathe easier, knowing your case is in capable hands. When you turn your case over to the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, you can count on us to handle your case. Our legal team may offer the following services to build your case, such as:
- Investigating the case to determine liability
- Gathering evidence on your behalf
- Interviewing witnesses
- Communicating with involved parties
- Filing court documents promptly
- Handling negotiations with the insurance provider(s)
- Representing your case in trial if necessary
Get Started on Your Case Today
You can be proactive about your truck accident case by gathering the information you need to build your case. You can start by doing these steps:
- Write down what happened during and after the accident
- Get contact information from witnesses
- Go to a medical facility for an examination of any injuries you sustained
- Contact a law firm for legal assistance
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we make sure our clients are treated fairly. A Boca Raton 18-wheeler lawyer will work hard to negotiate a fair settlement for your injuries. Contact our office today, and we will give you a free consultation. Call 1-800-747-3733.
We Can Help.