Tractor-trailer and 18-wheeler accidents involve many legal complexities. While you should be aware of these complications, you should not address them head-on. Instead, consider hiring a truck accident lawyer to manage these challenges. Then, you can focus on your recovery while your attorney leads your case from start to finish.
Factors That Can Complicate Tractor-Trailer Or 18-Wheeler Accident Cases
First, understand that terms like “tractor-trailer” and “18-wheeler” are generally interchangeable. These terms refer to large trucks that haul cargo regionally or nationwide.
So, what are some factors that make commercial truck accident cases unusually complicated?
The Design Of Tractor-Trailers
Tractor trailers involve complicated components, as they’re powered to haul tens of thousands of pounds of cargo. When you consider the trailers and the parts that connect the cab and cargo trailer, you get a sense of how large trucks are complex feats of engineering.
This complex design can make diagnosing the cause of the accident challenging. However, your legal team will work with experts in tractor-trailer design and function, which will help them:
- Seek out specific evidence that tells how the accident happened.
- Determine the exact cause of the accident.
- Present a convincing case explaining why the trucker, trucking company, or other liable party is responsible for the accident.
Experts are a crucial piece in any truck accident case. Our firm hires experts at no direct cost to the client and allows those experts to do their jobs effectively.
Serious Injuries Associated With Truck Accidents
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) notes that trucks have a maximum payload of 80,000 pounds. For context, most passenger vehicles weigh a few thousand pounds.
This weight difference poses a significant risk of severe injury and death when an 18-wheeler strikes a smaller vehicle or pedestrian. When catastrophic injuries happen, victims generally recover substantial compensation.
The Bevy Of Truck Accident Causes
There are many potential causes of truck accidents, including:
- Truck driver negligence
- Improper loading of cargo
- Defects in the truck cab or trailer
- Hazardous road conditions
Determining the cause of a crash is one of the first steps in an 18-wheeler lawsuit. By developing a clear account of why your accident happened, your attorney lays the groundwork for your financial recovery.
Dealing With Trucking Companies That May Have Critical Evidence
Trucking companies often resist paying hefty sums due to truck accident victims, and this resistance can complicate a truck accident case. For example, the company may possess critical evidence for your case. The truck involved in your accident may contain a wealth of evidence, as will the driver’s logs and truck maintenance records.
Thus, your lawyer might need to deal with a trucking company to secure pivotal evidence. They may secure evidence from the liable trucking company by:
- Filing a letter of spoliation, requiring the trucking company to preserve any evidence that could be consequential to your case.
- Communicating directly with the trucking company to secure the evidence.
- Visiting the trucking company’s premises to examine evidence that cannot leave the property, such as the damaged truck.
A trucking company will be keenly aware that a lawyer represents you in your claim. Naturally, they’ll expect a less-than-friendly attitude, but they will do their job professionally while securing evidence that could benefit your case.
The Formidable Nature Of Trucking Companies’ Lawyers
Large trucking companies may employ thousands of drivers. At any moment, one or more of those drivers may cause an accident, exposing the trucking company to financial liability.
Therefore, trucking companies generally keep lawyers on retainer, ready to fight claims against them. Many of these claims involve substantial compensation, so trucking companies often hire high-priced law firms to defend against these high-stakes claims.
Going against this army of defense lawyers alone can be intimidating. However, hiring an experienced truck accident lawyer helps even the odds in your favor.
For a free legal consultation 800-747-3733
How A Lawyer From Our Firm Will Seek Justice For Your 18-Wheeler Accident
Our team is familiar with the challenges presented by truck accident cases. We regularly represent victims who suffered:
- Injuries from a non-fatal truck accident.
- The loss of a loved one due to a fatal truck accident.
We take the legal process off our clients’ hands by taking these steps:
- Determining the cause of the accident: Equipment defects and driver errors are frequent causes of truck accidents. However, we will identify the precise cause of your tractor-trailer accident.
- Documenting and calculating damages: We will gather medical records, payment records, invoices, and other documentation proving your damages. Then, we will determine the value of those damages, setting the bar for settlement negotiations.
- Demanding a fair settlement: You will have a team of proven, determined lawyers fighting for the compensation you are entitled to receive.
- Taking the case to court if necessary: If your truck accident case takes us to court, we’ll be ready for trial. We prepare every case as if it will go to trial, so we are always ready when settlement negotiations don’t bear fruit.
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine goes the extra mile for our clients.
Recoverable Damages In A Tractor-Trailer Accident Case
We will seek compensation for all your recoverable damages, which may include the following:
- Vehicle repairs or replacement
- Temporary transportation
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Diminished earning power
- Pain and suffering
Large trucks can cause considerable damage. In tragic cases, truck accidents claim victims’ lives. If your loved one passed away from injuries suffered in a truck accident, our firm is here for you. We’ll provide empathetic, capable legal service in your time of need.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today for Your Free Consultation
There is no time to wait after a truck accident. So, contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today to start fighting for your financial recovery. We may face a filing deadline, so we want to hear from you as soon as possible.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW