The decision to place a loved one in a nursing home is not an easy one. When you decide to place a loved one in a nursing home, you expect they will be safe and well cared for. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.
Discovering a loved one has been abused or neglected in their nursing home can be traumatic to both the victim and their family. Our legal team understands how this type of situation can impact a family both emotionally and financially.
Let our nursing home abuse lawyers in The Hammocks, Florida fight for the justice and compensation your family deserves after nursing home abuse. Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse lawyer serving The Hammocks, call (800) 747-3733
The Most Common Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home residents have many rights, including the right to receive adequate and appropriate health care, the ability to communicate without censorship, participate and organize into groups, and be free from abuse and corporal punishment.
Breaching these rights may be considered abuse or neglect. You have the legal right to hold the nursing home responsible for their failures.
The most common types of nursing home abuse include:
- Physical abuse, in the form of hitting, slapping, shoving, burning, or other bodily harm.
- Sexual abuse, in the form of harassment, rape, or other sexual acts performed without consent, including if the patient is unable to provide consent.
- Neglect, which can result in falls, bed sores, loss of weight, or even death.
- Emotional abuse, including intimidation, threats to withhold food or medications, yelling or name calling.
- Financial abuse, including restricting a resident’s access to their funds, fraud, or outright theft.
The Hammocks Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me (800) 747-3733
How to Recognize Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
If your loved one’s behavior has changed recently, they may be a victim of nursing home abuse. Not all abuse results in physical scars, marks, or other visual evidence. It is important to recognize all the possible signs of abuse to protect your loved ones.
The most common signs of abuse or neglect in a nursing home include:
- Bed sores
- Poor hygiene
- Unusual weight loss
- Unexplained hospitalization
- Dirty sheets, clothing, or room
- Unusually withdrawn or closed off
- Unexplained changes in medical care or medication
- Missing medical devices, such as a hearing aid or walker
- Agitation, particularly around specific residents or staff members
- Unexplained injuries including bruises, marks, cuts, or broken bones.
If you suspect nursing home abuse, contact a nursing home abuse lawyer in The Hammocks, Florida for a free case evaluation at 1-800-747-3733.
What to Do If You Suspect Your Loved One is Victim of Nursing Home Abuse
If your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, it is critical that you take steps to protect them and pursue justice.
Here is what to do if you suspect your loved one is being abused or neglected in their nursing home or care facility.
- Ensure your family member is not in immediate harm. If you suspect they are in immediate danger, contact 911 immediately.
- Document their room, physical injuries, and other evidence.
- Speak to your loved one, if possible. Ask them if they are well taken care of or if there is any way you can help. Understand they may be scared or ashamed to admit the abuse is happening.
- Speak to the facility and ask for corrective measures be taken, if you are comfortable doing so. In extreme cases, this may result in retaliation.
- Contact the Department of Elder Affairs and file a complaint. You may also contact the Florida Abuse Hotline at 1-800-747-3733.
- Contact a nursing home abuse lawyer in The Hammocks, Florida to understand your legal rights.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Recoverable Damages in Nursing Home Abuse Cases
Filing a legal claim against a nursing home serves two purposes. First, it helps your family recover the financial impact of paying for medical treatment and moving facilities. Also, it can protect other residents from experiencing the same trauma.
While compensation cannot right the wrong done to your loved one, it can help you recover lost assets. Recoverable damages in a nursing home abuse case may include the following.
- Medical damages for medical expenses caused by neglect or injury.
- Long term care for disabilities caused by abuse or neglect.
- Pain and suffering caused by the abuse or neglect.
- Recovery of financial assets lost through fraud or theft.
Wrongful Death Claim Due to Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
If your loved one passed away due to nursing home abuse or neglect, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim. Our lawyers can pursue damages for:
- The cost of medical bills before your loved one passed
- The cost of burial or funeral arrangements
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
The death of a loved one is never easy, but the grief can be overwhelming when they pass away due to abuse or neglect. You have the right to recover damages due to the wrongful death of your loved one. A nursing home abuse lawyer in The Hammocks, Florida can help you during this difficult time.
Contact a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in The Hammocks, Florida
You expect your loved one’s nursing home to be caring, accommodating, and above all, safe. If you think your loved one may be a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, we can help.
After ensuring the immediate safety of your loved one, contact a nursing home abuse lawyer at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1-800-747-3733. Our compassionate, caring team is waiting to help your family.