A car accident where you have been seriously injured can change your life. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, and the severity of your physical injuries, you may also suffer post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety. Hiring an attorney to help you figure out your legal options may be helpful. If you have been involved in a car accident in Debary, FL, call the attorneys at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1 (800) 747-3733 for a free case evaluation.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Debary, call (800) 747-3733
Car Accidents Can Happen Instantly
One minute you are driving to the supermarket. The next minute you are lying on a gurney in an ambulance and wondering what happened. The experience is shocking, and the aftermath of an accident can be life-changing. It may be difficult to know what to do directly after a car accident. Some things that may help you later, especially if you may seek compensation for your injuries, are:
- Getting medical care immediately after the accident, even if your injuries appear to be minor. Some injuries are not observable after an accident and others may start out as minor but become far more dangerous in time.
- Calling the police and getting the police report from law enforcement at the scene of the accident. Making sure you keep any paperwork from the medical treatment you receive at the accident scene, in an ambulance, at the hospital, and during your recovery.
- Taking photographs or videos of the accident scene, including the cars, injuries, and any other important details.
- Getting the contact and insurance information from the other parties involved in the accident.
- Getting the names and contact information of law enforcement and other authorities at the accident scene.
- Getting the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Reporting the accident to your insurance company.
- Following up on medical treatment and any rehabilitative or therapeutic interventions after the initial injuries.
- Taking notes as soon as possible about what happened before, during, and after the accident. Note the weather, traffic, road conditions, and any other details you can remember. You might jot down what direction you and the other car were traveling in. You never know what can be helpful when your Debary car accident lawyer compiles the evidence in your case.
- Don’t talk to anyone about your accident without talking to an attorney first. Never immediately accept responsibility or fault for the accident before the conclusion of a full investigation.
Filing Your Claim with Your Insurance Agency
When you file your claim with the insurance company, find out what your deductible is, if you have rental car reimbursement, and what the limits are in your coverage. Florida is a no-fault car insurance state. This means that you must file a claim with your own insurance if your injuries are not severe. You have four years from the date of the accident to file your claim. It is important to remember that insurance companies are not always concerned with your needs. They are interested in settling your claim for as little and fast as possible. You should talk to your attorney before talking to your insurance company.
A good rule of thumb maybe not having any conversation at all with the other party’s insurance agency and having your Debary car accident lawyer speak to them on your behalf. Never sign a release unless you talk to your attorney first. Once you sign the release, you give up your right to sue for further damages. Insurance companies have lawyers and adjusters whose job it is to evaluate your claim. Going up against an insurance company may require you to have a team of professionals working for your benefit.
If you believe your insurance company wrongfully denied your claim and violated your rights, you can file a complaint with the Division of Consumer Services and get in contact with an attorney who can fight for the justice you deserve. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1 (800) 747-3733 for a free case consultation if you have been in a car accident in Debary, Florida. They will be on your side.
Debary Car Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 747-3733
Every driver in Florida must purchase personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. This insurance pays up to $10,000 in coverage for injuries and property damage, but usually cannot cover all your expenses related to the accident. It will also pay sixty percent of lost wages due to your injuries. However, if your injuries are serious, you may sue the other party’s insurance company to cover your accident-related expenses.
To be compensated over and above what PIP insurance coverage can do, your injuries must meet a specific threshold under FL § 627.7407. The injuries must result in:
- Significant and permanent loss of a bodily function
- Permanent injury
- Significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement
Receiving Damages in a Car Accident Personal Injury Case
If you can prove that another person was at fault for your injuries, you may be entitled to receive compensation for:
- Past, future, and current medical expenses
- Past, future, and current lost wages
- Permanent disfigurement or disability
- The cost of hiring someone to perform your household duties if you cannot
- Emotional distress, including anxiety and depression
- Any other costs associated with your accident and injuries
If there were other parties involved in your car accident, it is possible to sue them for damages depending on the circumstances of your case. If you are found to be partially to blame for your accident, the amount of compensation you can be awarded may be reduced. Your attorney will communicate with the other party’s insurance agency on your behalf and try to negotiate the fairest settlement possible for you given the circumstances of your case.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Debary, FL, and suffered serious injuries and property damage, call the Debary car accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1 (800) 747-3733 for a free case evaluation. They are standing by to fight for you.