After an auto accident, you may be hurt, stressed about getting your car fixed, and worried about what the future holds. You may also wonder about what the average settlement is for an car accident in Jacksonville.
Unfortunately, many factors can impact your settlement amount, making it difficult to estimate what you can recover. However, we can explain the most common damages accident victims recover and how the details of your case can impact your settlement amount.
A Jacksonville personal injury lawyer from our firm can provide a more accurate estimate about your case’s value. Our team is here to help you through this difficult time.
Types Of Damages You May Recover In A Jacksonville Auto Accident Case
In general, accident victims are eligible to recover compensation for any damages they incurred as a result of negligence. These damages can include the following:
Property Damage Costs
After an auto accident, you may be entitled to recover the cost of the repair or replacement of any damaged or destroyed property. This may include your vehicle and any items in your vehicle, such as electronic devices, tools for work, school books, medical devices, and so forth.
You may be eligible to recover the cost of any medical care and services you required due to the accident, including emergency room transportation, ER visits, hospitalization, sutures, surgery, x-rays, MRIs, CAT scans, follow-up visits, and pain management medications.
Lost Wages & Employment Benefits
If you miss time at work due to your injuries, you may be eligible to recover the cost of your lost wages. If you are unable to work in the same capacity after you heal, you may pursue the loss of future wages or the cost of having a lower earning potential.
Depending on the details of your case, you may also recover the cost of lost employer-sponsored health care and retirement benefits.
Pain And Suffering
Pain and suffering is considered a non-economic damage, meaning there is no direct cost associated with it. You may be able to recover compensation due to the pain, mental anguish, and inconvenience you suffered as a result of the other party’s actions.
Wrongful Death Benefits
If your loved one passed away due to injuries sustained in a Jacksonville auto accident, you may be able to file a claim or lawsuit to collect wrongful death benefits. Damages in a wrongful death claim or suit may include funeral costs, medical bills incurred before the loved one’s passing, the loss of financial support from the victim, and the emotional distress of the family.
Factors That May Impact The Amount Of Your Auto Accident Settlement
After an accident, you may be frustrated and worried about the impact this accident will have on your life. You want to understand what to expect so you can move forward.
While we cannot give you an accurate estimate of your case value yet, we have outlined the most common factors that may impact your settlement amount. These factors can affect how much you can recover:
- The severity of your injuries: For example, a person who suffers a severed limb will likely collect more than a person who sprains their wrist.
- The cost of your medical bills: Since medical bills are often included in calculated damages, you may collect a higher amount to cover those bills.
- Your ability to work: If you are unable to work for the rest of your life, you will likely collect more than a person who misses just a week or two.
- Your long-term recovery prognosis: If your injuries require a long recovery period, you may be entitled to a higher settlement amount.
- Insurance coverage: If the at-fault party is uninsured or underinsured, you may not be able to collect full damages. Additionally, if the damages sustained exceed the amount of your own insurance coverage, you may not recover the full amount.
- The identity of the at-fault party: Laws may limit the liability of a government or military agency and its members. If the at-fault party doesn’t have insurance, this can also affect how much you can recover.
- Your actions that may have contributed to the accident: If you were partially at fault for the accident, your settlement amount may be reduced. For instance, if your losses total $1 million but you caused 10 percent of the accident, you could recover 90 percent of your losses.
Florida’s Insurance Laws Can Affect How Much You Can Recover
Florida Statutes § 627.7407 details the Florida Motor Vehicle No-Fault Law and how it applies in a car accident. In addition, Florida Statutes § 627.736 requires every car registered in the state to have PIP (personal injury protection) insurance. The minimum required PIP coverage will pay for up to $10,000 in medical expenses resulting from car accident injuries.
The lawyer from our firm who represents your claim will explain how these laws affect your overall compensation package. Your lawyer can also hold the at-fault driver responsible for any medical costs above the PIP’s limitations and your other injury-related expenses.
Collecting The Total Financial Compensation You Deserve in Duval County
There is no average settlement for a car accident in Jacksonville because each accident comes with its own set of circumstances and expenses. Our team will review the cause and financial effect of your accident, determine the monetary value of your claim, and discuss your possible compensation with you.
To get the value of your claim, your attorney will need bills and receipts for your financial damages, like your medical expenses. Your attorney will also need to attribute monetary values to your non-financial damages, like your pain and suffering.
Valuating non-financial damages can be difficult for a claimant to do on their own. So, you may want to leave it to your attorney. Your attorney has various methods of calculating what you’re owed. Your attorney will even be able to attribute values to certain wrongful death damages, which can be especially difficult for surviving family members to do.
About Our Auto Accident Firm In Jacksonville
Our firm handles personal injury cases almost exclusively, including auto accident cases like yours. We’ve handled countless injury claims, and we’re confident in our ability to serve your interests.
We stand by individuals and their families, not companies and auto insurers, and we have a great deal of experience negotiating fair settlements. We’re also very experienced in fighting for fair verdicts from judges. We have no problem representing you in court if the insurance company refuses to settle.
As our client, you can:
- Focus on your recovery while we handle your legal matters
- Let your lawyer schedule your doctor’s appointments and car repair visits
- Have instant access to your attorney any time via phone or email
- Receive updates about your case frequently
- Rest and recover knowing your case is in good hands
Your Attorney Will Work For You On A Contingency Basis
Our auto accident attorneys in Jacksonville operate on a contingency-fee basis, so they provide their legal services at no cost unless they recover compensation. This fee arrangement makes hiring an attorney very affordable for our clients. It allows you to seek and afford medical care without worrying about attorney’s fees.
Contact The Law Offices Of Anidjar & Levine In Jacksonville, FL, Today
If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a Jacksonville auto accident, we can help. At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, our team goes the extra mile to make sure accident victims feel heard, understood, and supported. Let us handle the legal aspects of your case so you can focus on healing after your accident.
Contact us today for a free review of your personal injury case.
We Can Help.