According to a report from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), ingesting or otherwise absorbing unsafe levels of copper could prove fatal. Even in cases of unsafe copper absorption that do not prove fatal, serious health consequences may arise.
Potential Harm from Toxic Levels of Copper
ATSDR lists some of the long-term effects of unsafe copper exposure as:
- Irritation to your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Headaches and dizziness
- Damage to critical organs such as your kidneys and liver
- Possible death
Toxicity from copper may be insidious, especially if you are not aware that you are being harmed by unsafe levels of copper. You could attribute potential signs of copper toxicity, such as nausea or diarrhea, to other causes while you continue to be damaged by the effects of copper toxicity.
One potential source of copper toxicity is intrauterine devices (IUDs) that some women, possibly including you or your loved one, have had implanted as a means of birth control.
Copper IUDs Could Be a Source of Copper Toxicity
A case published by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) illustrates the possible danger of toxicity that a copper IUD such as Paragard® may pose. In this case, the removal of a Paragard® IUD revealed that the copper coil meant to suppress the fertilization of eggs was no longer in place.
This presumably means that the copper coil that was once tethered around the IUD’s plastic frame was somewhere else within the patient’s body. A foreign copper coil in one’s body is not the outcome that recipients of Paragard® or any other IUD expect, and could potentially pose a risk of copper toxicity.
In addition to the risk of being exposed to unsafe levels of copper, the Paragard® website states that side effects may include:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) a potentially serious ailment that could ultimately lead to infertility and other serious health problems
- Dislodging of the IUD, which could lead to unwanted pregnancy
- Perforation of the uterine wall, and possibly adjacent organs
- Lodging of the device in the uterus, necessitating surgery
If you or your loved one have suffered these complications or other adverse health outcomes from a Paragard® IUD, then you may be able to pursue legal action for your losses.
For a free legal consultation 800-747-3733
Determining Fault for an IUD-Related Injury
Whether you were exposed to copper toxicity or suffered another health event because of a Paragard® IUD or another birth control device, you may have a case against one or more responsible parties. A lawyer may help you by:
- Identifying those who could be responsible for your injuries
- Drafting and filing a lawsuit naming the responsible parties as defendants
- Consulting experts in legal and medical fields where relevant to your lawsuit
- Taking all legal steps necessary to complete your lawsuit
- Defending your rights
A lawyer will pursue compensation for the losses you have sustained. This may include:
- Medical expenses
- The cost of the IUD and its installation
- Pain and suffering
- Income you have lost because of your injuries
Call Our Team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today
We will go the extra mile in pursuing any compensation that you are entitled to because of negligence. Call our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW