The Jacksonville Transportation Authority maintains the public bus system as well as several other mass transit systems in Jacksonville, Florida. As the largest city in the continental US in terms of landmass, Jacksonville presents unique challenges in mass transportation.
To serve the unique needs of the city, JTA offers a range of services including regular bus services, community shuttles, the downtown Skyway, the St. John’s River Ferry, and Gameday Xpress for sports games.
In general, buses are a safe mode of transportation due to their large size and relatively low speeds. However, sometimes accidents do happen. If you were injured while riding a JTA bus or if you were hit by a JTA bus, here is what you need to know.
Common Causes of Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) Bus Accidents
Bus accidents may be uncommon, but they do happen. Buses are considered common carriers, which means the company is paid to transport goods or people and is responsible for the safety of those people during transport.
Bus accidents can happen for any number of reasons and may or may not be the fault of JTA or the bus driver.
The most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Untrained drivers
- Driver error
- Other vehicles
- Excessive speed
- Weather conditions
- Mechanical failures
- Failure to maintain the buses properly
If you were injured by a JTA bus, the bus company may be held liable for your injuries and other damages. A personal injury lawyer can review the details of your case and advise you of your legal rights. Contact the Law Firm of Anidjar & Levine for a free case review at 1-800-747-3733.
What to Do if You Are Involved in a Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) Bus Accident
After a bus accident you may be hurt, disoriented, and unsure what your next steps should be. While your first concern should be the safety of yourself and other passengers, you also need to protect your legal rights.
After ensuring your own safety and the safety of others to the best of your ability, here are the next steps you should take.
- Document the scene of the accident by taking photographs or video of the scene. Take photos from multiple angles, if possible.
- Document your injuries if possible. Be sure to note the time, and take additional photo evidence if injuries worsen, for example, if a sprained ankle continues to swell after several minutes.
- Write down everything you can remember in the moments following the accident. Did you see anything right before the crash? Did the driver of the bus seem agitated or did they appear to be under the influence?
- Refuse to sign any papers or settlement offers from JTA until you have spoken with a personal injury lawyer. Do not discuss the accident with JTA or any of their representatives.
- Even if you feel okay, seek medical care. If you are in shock, you may not feel pain right away.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer to review your case, even if you are unsure if you have a case. A lawyer has the legal knowledge to help you protect your rights and pursue compensation if necessary.
Damages You May Recover in a Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) Bus Accident
A wide range of damages may be available to you after your Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) bus accident injury. The exact value of your case will depend on the details of your case. However, we often pursue the following types of damages in bus accident cases.
- Medical bills, including surgeries, long term care, medication, and hospitalization costs.
- Lost wages, if you miss time at work due to your injuries.
- Lost future wages, if you are unable to work for an extended period of time.
- Pain and suffering damages, for the physical and emotional pain you endured as a result of your injuries.
- Personal property damage, such as damage to your vehicle, if you were driving when the accident occurred.
Contact a JTA Bus Accident Lawyer Today
If you were injured while riding a JTA bus or were involved in an accident with a JTA bus, you may have the right to pursue the bus company for your damages. The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine provides comprehensive legal guidance for bus accident victims in Jacksonville, Florida.
Our legal team is committed to communicating with our clients and keeping you up to date on the progress of your Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) bus accident case. We think you should focus on healing, instead of worrying about the legal process. Let us take care of you during this challenging time.