The ParaGard intrauterine device (IUD) is a contraceptive method that has been known to cause serious health problems in some instances. In many evolving lawsuits and mass torts, claimants assert that the manufacturer of ParaGard does not properly inform users of their product’s potential for health complications.
If you have been negatively affected by a ParaGard IUD, the first thing you should do is seek medical treatment to ensure that you are not in any immediate danger. Next, you may want to consider speaking with a legal professional to help you understand your options for financial recovery. You may be able to seek compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and other injury-related losses.
ParaGard IUD Side Effects
Every intrauterine device, regardless of brand name, comes with its own set of side effects that can impact a woman’s physical, emotional, and sexual health. According to Contraception, since the widespread use of IUDs in the mid-1970s, most of these birth control methods feature few side effects. However, there is still the risk of severe complications.
These may include:
- Heavy bleeding
- Perforation of the uterine wall
- Breaking apart during implementation or removal
- Scarring leading to infertility
- Expulsion from the uterus
In turn, these hazards can result in significant emotional distress and physical pain. If you have experienced any of these consequences following the implementation of a ParaGard IUD, you should seek immediate medical attention.
For a free legal consultation 800-747-3733
A Product Liability Lawyer Can Explain Your Options
Without a detailed understanding of liability laws, it can be difficult to determine when a product’s hazards warrant legal action. Various factors may play a role in your ability to seek compensation, including when your copper IUD was implemented, the information you were given by a medical professional, and what personal injuries you sustained.
Calling a product liability attorney can simplify the process, save you time, and may ultimately result in you collecting compensation if your case proves successful.
A ParaGard Attorney May Be Able to Start Your Case Today
Your ParaGard lawyer will reiterate that the most important concern is your health and that you should seek the advice of a medical professional if you are currently experiencing an adverse reaction to a ParaGard IUD. Once you receive assurance that you are not in imminent danger, a lawyer can begin the first steps of your case.
You can expect a lawyer to:
- Conduct a free initial consultation, where you are informed of your potential for compensation
- Consult with medical experts, who may offer valuable insight into your case
- Collect relevant paperwork and other evidence that shows you were harmed by a ParaGard IUD
- Prepare and put forth a case detailing how the defendant or defendants, in your case, exposed you to danger without adequate warning
- Serve as your legal advisor throughout settlement negotiations
- Answer any questions or concerns that you have from your first meeting to the completion of your case
Every case based on personal injuries sustained from a ParaGard intrauterine device will be different. For instance, in some cases, we may be able to move forward with a product liability claim. In others, if one’s injuries were caused by a medical practitioner, we may be able to proceed with a medical malpractice case. Speaking with a personal injury law firm can determine your possible avenues for recovering compensation while keeping you informed of your legal rights throughout the proceedings.
Pursuing Compensation for Injuries from a Defective Product
To determine the compensation that you can fight for in a trial or settlement negotiation, your lawyer will evaluate the sum of losses that you have incurred because of your contraceptive-related injuries. By reviewing your medical bills, pay stubs, and other damages, they can take into account both your economic and noneconomic losses and work to have them covered.
Depending on the specifics of your case, you may be able to pursue:
- Medical bills. These can include the cost of treatment, doctor’s appointments, and any corrective surgeries.
- Lost wages. You may have been unable to work while receiving treatment or otherwise suffering from your injuries. Your legal team can work to have your missed time off work reimbursed.
- Reduced earning capacity. Depending on the severity of your health condition, you may have been unable to return to your preferred method of employment, which may have caused a financial strain for you and your household.
- Emotional anguish. You may have suffered mental health complications (such as post-traumatic stress disorder) from the injuries and conditions your IUD may have caused. This can cover the costs of therapy, medications, and other psychological treatments.
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience. Not to be confused with the latter category, this relates to your noneconomic damages, which may include reduced quality of life, aches, and other limitations to your day-to-day activities.
You may not see the specific type of compensation you wish to seek here. When you contact personal injury lawyers, they can listen to your account of events and factor in various possibilities when estimating the value of your case.
Get Answers From An Experienced Attorney.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW
Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today to Learn More
Our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine can provide you with responsive legal care and fight tirelessly for any compensation that you deserve if you have been affected by a ParaGard IUD. We perform a vast array of services tailored to meet the individual needs of each client’s situation. For a free case evaluation, call us today at 1-800-747-3733.
We want to put our knowledge, experience, and resources to work for you.SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY NOW