You can sue the federal government for a personal injury under certain circumstances. The Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) exists precisely for legal action against the federal government. Per the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the FTCA “allows individuals to recover monetary damages from the United States…” This act may apply to your case.
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 747-3733
When Can You Sue the Federal Government?
As the Congressional Research Service (CRS) (p.2) explains, Americans were once forbidden to sue the federal government. This included federal employees who act negligently.
The FTCA altered this concept of sovereign immunity, which provided broad legal protections to the federal government. By establishing the FTCA, Congress permitted Americans to sue the federal government for negligence. However, eligibility to sue under the FTCA depends on:
- The specifics of your case
- The prospective defendant
- Whether the prospective defendant was acting as a government employee when they caused you harm
- Other procedural details
Eligibility requirements can be complex. Our team will review your case and explain if you are eligible for legal action.
What Circumstances May Warrant a Lawsuit Against the Federal Government?
You may be eligible for a lawsuit against any federal employee or agency that harmed you. You may bring a lawsuit on behalf of a deceased or incapacitated loved one.
You may file an FTCA lawsuit if any of the following parties harmed you:
- Federal law enforcement officials
- Employees in the federal transportation sector
- Medical professionals employed by the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
- Employees of the U.S. Department of Energy
The list of federal agencies is extensive, as USA.gov shows. If one or more individuals from these agencies harmed you, then you may be eligible for a lawsuit.
Our team will explain if the at-fault party is covered by FTCA statutes. If they are not, you may be able to sue them through a traditional lawsuit.
Why Hire Our Firm for an FTCA Lawsuit?
For one, we will explain whether you can sue the federal government for your personal injury. The answer to this question may determine:
- Whether we will file an FTCA lawsuit for you
- Whether we will take another form of legal action on your behalf
We will begin your case once we determine the appropriate path. By hiring us, you:
- Can focus completely on your recovery
- Ensure a resolution for your case
- Allow us to handle all your legal needs
We defend your rights and take the following actions on your behalf:
Handling Legal Responsibilities
FTCA lawsuits are generally more complex than other case types. They involve specific rules and requirements set by federal statutes. We understand these rules. We, however, need to learn how these rules apply to your case.
We prepare for your case by:
- Reviewing the latest laws
- Consulting experts in FTCA-specific legal matters
- Ensuring that our case is legally sound
You do not have to worry about the legal aspects of your case. This is our responsibility.
Gathering Evidence and Documentation
Successful personal injury cases generally have strong evidence. We will obtain as much evidence as possible for your claim. Relevant evidence can include:
- Video footage
- Witness testimony
- Reconstructions of your accident
- Police reports
We prove your losses with documentation. Like evidence, we gather as much documentation as we possibly can. Relevant documentation may include:
- Your doctors’ written diagnoses
- Medical images
- Medical bills
- Proof of missed work (and your resulting lost income)
- Bills for vehicle repair (as applicable)
- A mental health professional’s testimony
- Family members’ witness accounts
- Proof of disability
We aim to secure as much evidentiary support as we can. This will be helpful during settlement negotiations.
Representing You Against the Federal Government
The federal government has immense resources. When you sue them, you should do so with help from our firm. Our team will assist you with:
- Legal knowledge
- Third-party resources (like experts and investigators)
We take your legal challenges off your hands. We will seek the compensation that you are entitled to.
How Much do Legal Services Cost?
You do not pay us any upfront cost. If our firm does not negotiate a settlement or win a judgment, then you owe us nothing. If we do win, our fees come out of your award. This arrangement protects you financially. It also means that we are heavily invested in the outcome of your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine for a Free Consultation
Our team provides responsive legal care and relevant experience with personal injury cases. During your free consultation, we will:
- Evaluate your case
- Explain the next steps towards potential justice
- Answer all your questions
- Address your concerns