Multiple plaintiffs have won lawsuits against Roundup’s manufacturer, Monsanto, for financial compensation. According to The New York Times reports, an Oakland, California couple was awarded more than $2 billion in damages in May 2019 after a jury determined Roundup was the cause of their cancer following decades of use. Other known financial awards against the manufacturer of Roundup include:
- $80 million awarded to a San Francisco man for his non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- $289 million (later reduced to $78 million) awarded to a San Francisco groundskeeper for his cancer diagnosis
Many other lawsuits are pending against Roundup by people who hold its active ingredient, glyphosate, responsible for their cancer diagnosis and other health concerns. If you believe your health or the health of a loved one was negatively impacted by exposure to Roundup, a personal injury lawyer might be able to help you establish a connection between its use and your current medical condition.
The Danger of Roundup’s Active Ingredient
Roundup’s primary ingredient is the chemical glyphosate, a probable carcinogen, according to recent research. The potential danger of prolonged exposure to, or accidental ingestion of, Roundup weed killer and herbicide has been explored by a variety of scientific and educational institutions.
- In 2017, California’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) added glyphosate to its list of chemicals known to cause cancer.
- MedlinePlus lists glyphosate as a poisonous ingredient and recommends emergency room care after an accidental ingestion of the substance.
- The University of Washington’s Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences (DEOHS) states that glyphosate increases the risk of developing non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma by 41%.
- The National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) details the effects of spraying, breathing, or touching Roundup. It lists eye, nose, mouth, and throat irritation along with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea among its temporary side effects.
Was your health or a family member’s health negatively affected by prolonged exposure to Roundup? If so, you could have the foundation of a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit for financial recovery. A lawyer in your area may be able to help you explore your options for financial recovery.
Types of Cancer Potentially Caused by Glyphosate
Gardeners, landscapers, groundskeepers, and others who use or are exposed to Roundup on a regular basis have been diagnosed with certain forms of cancer. According to OEHHA and the University of Washington research, a link has been established between glyphosate and many types of cancer, potentially including:
- Breast cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Liver cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Myeloid leukemia
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
After exposure to Roundup and a subsequent cancer diagnosis, a personal injury lawyer may be able to help you file a compensation claim for financial recovery. If you or a loved one is ready to pursue financial compensation against Roundup, or if a loved one passed away from cancer-related to Roundup’s use, your lawyer can review your potential case and help define your potential for financial recovery.
Learn More About Your Right to Compensation
You could have the basis of a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit against the manufacturer of Roundup if you can prove a connection between exposure to its harmful ingredient and your current medical condition or cancer diagnosis. When your personal injury team helps you fight for compensation, they may:
- Review your medical records and consult with health care and cancer experts to prove the cause of your diagnosis
- Build a strong case file that includes scientific research and studies that support your right to compensation
Find Out How Our Firm Can Help
Were you or a loved one diagnosed with cancer, or has the use of Roundup adversely affected your health in other ways? You could be eligible to recoup the financial costs of your medical care and related expenses from the company that makes the product.
At the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine, we fight hard for our clients and may be able to help you negotiate a financial settlement that lets you avoid going to court. If your case does proceed to court, we will represent you. Our team members go the extra mile to fight for success for our personal injury clients.
Other plaintiffs have successfully won lawsuits against Roundup and its manufacturer. If you believe the damage to your health or the development of cancer is related to prolonged exposure to Roundup, contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine by calling 1-800-747-3733 today.