If you would like to know, what are the side effects of a copper IUD, according to the product’s website, some of those side effects of Paragard copper IUD are:
- Unusual or foul-smelling vaginal discharge
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
These are far from the only side effects of a copper IUD and negative health symptoms that can arise after having a Paragard IUD inserted into your uterus.
The Paragard IUD is the only intrauterine contraceptive that uses copper as the means of suppressing pregnancy. Though there are benefits of using copper instead of hormones as a means of warding off potential pregnancy-causing sperm, the above list of side effects is an indication that the device may be unsafe.
If you have experienced these side effects of a copper IUD or other negative health outcomes because of your Paragard IUD, you may be able to collect compensation for your losses.
Copper IUDs Vs. Hormone IUDs
According to Mayo Clinic, Paragard is the only intrauterine contraceptive device available for purchase in the United States that uses copper as the means of preventing pregnancy. The presence of copper creates an inflammatory reaction that is toxic to sperm and eggs (ova), preventing pregnancy.”
Some view the copper Paragard IUD as a preferable alternative to most other intrauterine contraceptive devices, which contain hormones also intended to weaken or kill sperm. These hormone-based contraceptive devices (Mirena being among the most popular) may cause an array of side effects, including:
- Significant and unpredictable changes in mood due to the presence of additional hormones in the body
- Pain, including but not limited to cramping
- A host of other undesirable side effects
Copper IUDs like Paragard also pose health risks.
The Paragard IUD and Dangerous Inflammation
There may be benefits to Paragard IUD, but Case Western Reserve University information reports that history has shown that intrauterine contraceptive devices are usually very risky, and Paragard IUD seems to follow that trend.
A study published in the French journal Contraception, fertilité, sexualité
found that copper is associated with inflammation. In fact, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is among the worst side effects that may result from having a Paragard IUD inserted in your uterus. Some of the symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease are:
- Bleeding from your vagina, which may be more common during or after intercourse
- Pain in your lower abdomen—seek treatment for this symptom immediately, as it can be a sign of several serious health problems
- The expulsion of a strange, foul-smelling discharge from your vagina
- Pain when peeing
- A fever
Pelvic inflammatory disease may also lead to scarring in your fallopian tubes and other reproductive organs. If untreated for too long, this may lead to you becoming sterile. Unfortunately for the many women who have had a Paragard IUD implanted in their uterus, PID is not the only possible side effect of the device.
Other Adverse Symptoms of the Paragard IUD
While pelvic inflammatory disease and its secondary symptoms are among the most serious risks of having a Paragard IUD installed, they are not the only risks. According to Paragard’s website, those who have a Paragard IUD may be at risk of:
- The Paragard IUD tearing holes in your uterine wall, commonly referred to as perforations
- The Paragard IUD being expelled from your uterus without warning only require (re-insertion of the device [should you so choose] would be the only necessary action, if this were to occur)
- Unwanted pregnancy and damage to your uterus or other organs (if the device is expelled)
- Infection, which may result from or independent of tears in your uterine wall
These are only the most significant side effects that may stem from your Paragard IUD. Paragard IUD may break while inside of you, possibly leading to jagged plastic in your uterus.
You can see that Paragard, a copper IUD, comes with an extensive list of health risks. If you were the victim of any of these serious health outcomes, you may be able to collect compensation through a lawsuit.
A Lawyer Will Help You Pursue Compensation
A lawyer will step in, assess the details of your case, and initiate any legal action that you decide to pursue. You can focus on recovering from your injuries while the lawyer handles the legal work.
They will aim to secure compensation, such as coverage for:
- All costs related to the purchase and installation of your Paragard IUD
- Any costs for the removal of the Paragard IUD
- Any medical costs related to injury or infection caused by your Paragard IUD
- Lost income stemming from insertion and removal of the Paragard IUD, as well as treatment for negative health outcomes caused by the Paragard IUD
- Mental anguish
- Punitive damages
Do not wait to call a lawyer to begin your pursuit of these awards and any other compensation that you deserve.
Call Our Team Today for More Information
We will go the extra mile as your legal representative, doing everything we can to secure any compensation to which you are entitled. Call the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine team today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation.