The Paragard intrauterine device (IUD) is a plastic-copper birth control device once manufactured by Teva Pharmaceuticals and purchased by the Cooper Companies in 2017, according to a press release distributed by the latter company.
The Paragard IUD has drawn allegations that the device can break and migrate once implanted, potentially causing serious injury as a result, as evidenced by a study of a fractured Paragard IUD published in the Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. According to the Paragard website, some of the injuries that have been alleged to come from the Paragard IUD device include:
- Perforation through the wall of your uterus, which can cause more serious health problems, including damage to other organs and infection (Surgery may be required to remedy the effects of uterine perforation)
- Pelvic inflammatory disease—also known as PID—arises because of infection in the uterus and nearby parts of the body, and could ultimately lead to you becoming infertile or even dying
- A host of other undesirable side effects
The circumstances under which you were implanted with a Paragard IUD and suffered subsequent injury or side effects may mean that you are entitled to compensation. You may have suffered a host of negative consequences as the result of having the Paragard IUD implanted, such as:
- Physical pain caused by a malfunction of your Paragard IUD
- A risk to your health and life
- Having to endure various procedures to remove a broken Paragard IUD, and to treat the related health effects of a malfunctioned Paragard IUD
- The financial cost of medical procedures and care caused by the Paragard IUD
- Lasting physical and psychological trauma
- Permanent health consequences
Women who choose to have the Paragard IUD implanted seek only a safe, effective, hormone-free means of birth control. Instead, many have found that the Paragard IUD not only caused them serious health complications, but also lasting trauma and life-altering health consequences.
If you were harmed by a Paragard IUD, you may be able to collect compensation for your losses. Call our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 to find out how we can help you move forward with legal action.
What Is the ParaGard IUD Lawsuit?
What Is the ParaGard IUD Lawsuit?
If you have suffered injury or other serious side effects caused by the Paragard IUD, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against ParaGard IUD in pursuit of compensation for your losses.
When you purchase a medical device, you expect to be informed of the possible negative consequences of that device before using it—or, in the case of the Paragard IUD, having it implanted in your uterus.
In many cases, women are not adequately informed of the risks that could come from Paragard. They have the device implanted under the impression that it is completely or near-completely safe, only to find out in the most unnerving of ways that the device is not, and never was, safe.
Any injury or side effect caused by a Paragard IUD device that you or a loved one had implanted could be grounds for a defective medical device lawsuit.
A ParaGard IUD lawsuit lawyer will advise you about the next steps in pursuing compensation if you have been the victim of a Paragard IUD that caused you injury or distress. A lawyer will:
- Speak to you about the circumstances of how your Paragard IUD was installed, and the specific details of how the device caused you harm
- Advise you on whether your case could qualify you for compensation
- Take the necessary steps to file your defective medical device lawsuit in the proper circuit court
- Represent you at trial or in settlement negotiations, depending on the course that your case ultimately takes
- If your case goes to court, present a case based on evidence (such as medical records) that indicate you sustained injury because of a Paragard IUD
- Defend your rights throughout the entire legal process
Defendants (such as the once and current manufacturers of Paragard IUD, Teva Pharmaceuticals and The Cooper Companies) may hire attorneys to defend them against lawsuits. You may decide that it is in your best interest to hire an attorney who may be familiar with defense tactics of such defendants, and can use knowledge of the courts to present your case for awards.
Your lawyer will determine how the defendant or defendants in your case were negligent, and will aim to prove that they are financially responsible for your losses. You are not the first person to have been harmed by a Paragard IUD device, and like previous victims, you could be eligible to collect compensation for your losses.
Can I File a ParaGard IUD Lawsuit?
Can I File a Paragard IUD Lawsuit?
If you would like to file a ParaGard IUD lawsuit, there are several steps you should take. The first step in determining your eligibility for bringing a Paragard-related lawsuit is to call an attorney. The team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine will listen to your experience and provide clear advice on whether it is in your interest to pursue legal action.
There are several questions that any ParaGard IUD lawsuit lawyer may ask to help determine whether you have grounds for a defective product lawsuit against the manufacturers of the Paragard IUD or another party. Such questions may include:
- Did the Paragard IUD cause you to sustain one or more injuries?
- Under what circumstances did you suffer your injuries?
- When did you suffer your injury?
- Did the Paragard IUD lead to infection?
- If so, where did the infection spread to and what effect has it had on your overall health?
- Did circumstances stemming from the insertion of the Paragard IUD lead you to sustain a uterine perforation?
- Did the Paragard IUD lead you to become infertile?
- Who installed your Paragard IUD?
- If it was removed, who removed it?
It is difficult to determine whether you are eligible to bring a lawsuit without conducting a consultation. Fortunately, we can walk you through such a consultation at no cost. At this point, we can determine your eligibility for bringing legal action against:
- The manufacturers of the Paragard IUD
- A medical professional who may have taken an action (or failed to take a necessary action) that caused a Paragard IUD-related injury
- Any other party responsible for injury or side effects you sustained because of the Paragard IUD
No lawsuit is cut and dry—every case contains its own set of facts and circumstances that may impact your ability to successfully bring a lawsuit. With regard to a Paragard IUD lawsuit, the fact that you experienced adverse effects (whether it was an injury, series of injuries, or side effects) from a Paragard IUD is enough for you to call for information about legal representation today.
It is important that you find out whether you may have grounds for a lawsuit as soon as possible. You may be eligible to join class-action lawsuits for which there is a limited entry window. There may also be relevant statutes of limitations that govern any individual lawsuit that you hope to initiate.
The team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine offers responsive legal care and will advise you on your possible Paragard IUD lawsuit at no cost. Call our team today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free consultation.
What is the ParaGard IUD?
The Paragard IUD is a form of intrauterine device. Such devices are a form of birth control that have roots in the early 20th century, according to Case Western Reserve University. The earliest forms of intrauterine contraceptive devices led to several complaints amongst its users that—as the lawsuits against the manufacturers of Paragard show—still persist today. The Paragard website lists IUD side effects and & safety information that states that the device:
- Can cause pain to women who use them
- May lead to serious infection
- Are susceptible to break, causing it to puncture the uterine wall and possibly cause further harm (confirmed by the Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine study)
- Can be expelled from the uterus in an unintended manner
While more than a hundred years have passed since the earliest documented IUDs were invented, recent iterations of intrauterine contraceptive devices continue to prove fallible at best and harmful at worst, including but not limited to the Paragard IUD.
According to Cleveland Clinic, the defining features of the Paragard IUD are that:
- It has a T-shape
- It is marketed as being able to prevent pregnancy for a period generally lasting ten to twelve years
- The Paragard IUD’s plastic frame is wrapped in copper wire, which is used for suppressing sperm and differs from most other IUD devices, which emit hormones aimed at suppressing pregnancy
The Paragard IUD is intended for use by women who have not yet entered menopause. Those who choose to have the device installed are drawn to its perceived benefits, which Mayo Clinic states are:
- Built-in contraception
- Long-lasting birth control (as long as 10-12 years)
- No hormones or hormonal side effects
Mayo Clinic also reports that the Paragard IUD can be removed at any time. While this may be technically true, you should continue reading to find out why this statement is not as straightforward as it may seem. In fact, none of the benefits of the Paragard IUD are—not when you consider the risks associated with the device.
The potential benefits of Paragard have been marketed consistently by the current manufacturer of the Paragard IUD, The Cooper Companies. They were also marketed by the previous manufacturer of Paragard, Teva Pharmaceuticals, as well.
What these companies have failed to shed adequate light on are the possible health risks that come from the installation of the Paragard IUD. Countless women had the Paragard IUD inserted in their uterus, only to find out in frequently devastating fashion that the device can do serious damage when it malfunctions.
The defects that have arisen in Paragard IUD have spawned several lawsuits to date, and may be grounds for you to join an MDL or class action or bring a lawsuit of your own.
What Is The Defect In Paragard?
What Is the Defect in Paragard?
Studies have reported a defect in Paragard. Some of the complaints seen in many users of the Paragard IUD are eerily predated by those who used the Dalkon Shield, a form of IUD introduced to the market in 1968. According to the Embryo Project at Arizona State University, users of the Dalkon Shield complained that the ribbed device caused them to develop serious infections, infertility, and a host of other negative health outcomes.
The L.A. Times reports that manufacturers of the Dalkon Shield eventually led to billions of dollars in legal payouts, as they eventually admitted that the product was a significant health hazard that had led to serious injury or death in numerous victims. The notoriety of the Dalkon Shield led many to conclude that IUDs were inherently dangerous, and yet because of FDA approval and the presence of Paragard in the consumer market for more than three decades (according to the company’s FAQ page), Paragard users have reasonably concluded that the device is safe.
Now, it has become abundantly clear that Paragard IUD may pose many of the same risks of the Dalkon Shield and even more primitive forms of intrauterine contraceptive devices.
According to Cleveland Clinic, some of the milder risks to women who have the Paragard IUD inserted include:
- Heavy menstrual flow, including blood flow (spotting) in between periods
- Cramping and discomfort during menstruation
As many women have found out, these sorts of risks should be low on the list of concerns if they had a Paragard IUD inserted or are considering the procedure. More concerning are the facts that:
- IUDs have been linked to scarring in the female reproductive system that could lead to irreversible infertility (according to an article published in the Golden Gate Law Review)
- An intact Paragard IUD may puncture the uterine walls, which may cause significant damage to adjacent organs, infection, scarring that may cause infertility, and other possible health consequences
- The Paragard IUD may break, especially during removal, causing one or more of the side effects listed above
- The Paragard IUD may become lodged in your uterus, making it difficult to remove
- The Paragard IUD is associated with a serious infection called Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), which can cause seriously painful and uncomfortable symptoms, such as severe abdominal pain, vaginal discharge, and heavy bleeding, to name a few.
- You may have to endure surgery if you experience any of these side effects, especially if your Paragard IUD—broken or intact—becomes stuck in your uterus. Surgery presents its own set of risks, often including death.
If you are the victim of these or other consequences of the Paragard IUD, call our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today to find out if you may be eligible to collect compensation for your hardship.
Was Paragard Recalled?
Many have wondered, was paragard recalled. There are countless medical devices throughout history that may appear safe and obtain FDA approval, only for luckless consumers to find out in the most difficult way that the device is, without a doubt, unsafe. A situation of this kind appears to be what has occurred with respect to the Paragard IUD.
It may be a surprise to find out, in light of all of the noted risks and injuries associated with the Paragard IUD, that it has not been completely recalled. Paragard IUD is readily available. By reading the Paragard IUD homepage, you would have little to no clue that Paragard presents all of the risks that it does.
Paragard’s continued availability is no indication of its safety. Lots of other medications and medical devices that are ultimately recalled remain on the market for long periods of time. In many cases, claims of such products’ danger pile up continually until, eventually, the manufacturer or the Food and Drug Administration are forced to take action to protect consumers in the form of a recall.
The fact that The Cooper Companies (and Teva Pharmaceuticals before them) has not recalled the Paragard IUD may serve as evidence in your case that:
- The manufacturers of the Paragard IUD have put consumers at an unreasonable risk of harm
- The manufacturers of Paragard IUD have failed to take well-documented cases of the Paragard IUD causing injury, infection, and other adverse health outcomes seriously
- You were personally harmed by a product that, if safety were the primary concern, should not have been available to you
Unless a regulatory body such as the FDA does everything that they can and should protect consumers from the harm of dangerous medical devices, consumers are going to be harmed.
The fact that manufacturers of the Paragard IUD, regulatory bodies such as the FDA, and individual medical professionals failed to protect you from possible harm caused by the Paragard IUD may be grounds for legal action.
A ParaGard IUD lawsuit lawyer will aim to protect you from further harm in a way that the above parties did not. If your case is successful, you may be entitled to collect financial awards for the losses you have sustained because of the Paragard IUD.
What Are The Side Effects Of A Copper IUD?
What Are the Side Effects of a Copper IUD?
Although considered an alternative to hormone-based IUDs, many have reported side effects of a copper IUD. One of the selling points for the Paragard IUD is that it uses copper, not hormones, in order to provide the contraceptive effect that is its primary purpose. There are some benefits to copper IUDs—namely that they do not present the side effects that hormone-based IUDs may cause.
According to Mayo Clinic, some of the noted side effects of hormone-based intrauterine contraceptive devices may include:
- Abnormal spotting based on your normal flow
- Pain in the abdomen and pelvis, including but not limited to cramping
These side effects may be part of the reason, or the entire reason, why somebody such as yourself may turn to a copper-based IUD instead of using such hormone-based solutions. However, it would be wrong to assume—as you may have—that copper-based IUDs such as Paragard are without side effects or risks.
The company website states that some of the noted side effects of Paragard IUD are:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which can have serious, lasting effects on your reproductive health, and may result in your being unable to conceive in the future
- A low red blood cell count known as anemia which can compromise your immune system and make you susceptible to serious ailments
- Pain in the abdomen, back, and other parts of the body, especially during intercourse
- Feeling faint
- Vaginal discharge
On top of these side effects, a broken Paragard IUD or other difficulty removing the device could require surgery. Such complications may also inflict severe damage to your body and mind.
A medical professional had a duty to warn you of these possible side effects before inserting the Paragard IUD in your body. If they did not, then they may be among the defendants named in your lawsuit. Call our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today to discuss the specifics of your potential lawsuit.
What Forms Of Compensation Might Be Available?
What Forms of Compensations Might Be Available?
There may be a variety of forms of compensation available if you pursue a Paraguard lawsuit. The FDA has acknowledged the aforementioned risks associated with the Paragard IUD device (see page 6). The agency also states that medical professionals who prescribe Paragard as a form of treatment, as well as medical professionals who insert the device, have a responsibility to counsel patients on the risks of Paragard.
Depending on the details of your case, you may have been put at risk by:
- The manufacturer who developed and marketed your Paragard IUD
- The medical professional who recommended that you receive a Paragard IUD, or the medical professional who installed the device
Again, it is important that you speak to a ParaGard IUD lawsuit lawyer as soon as possible. They may have access to medical experts whose advice will help you and your attorney identify the appropriate defendants in your case.
A medical professional may be responsible for losses that you have sustained if they:
- Did not counsel you about all of the possible risks that could come from insertion of the Paragard IUD
- Inserted the device in a way that ultimately led to injury through uterine perforation, infection, or any other harm caused by the Paragard IUD
- Inserted the device in a manner that ultimately led to the IUD being expelled prematurely from your uterus—which may have caused injury
It is possible that multiple defendants will be named in your lawsuit. If you reach a pre-trial settlement or a jury finds in your favor, one or more defendants may owe you compensation. Possible compensation from your claim may include coverage for:
- The cost of the Paragard IUD
- The cost of having the Paragard IUD installed and removed
- The cost of any additional procedures, medical care, medications, and rehabilitation
- The cost of any compensation that you have lost due to injuries, infection, or other harm
- Any irreversible harm that you have sustained, such as sterility
- Mental distress that has been inflicted on you because of negligence
A lawyer will explore all opportunities for pursuing compensation for the harm that you have endured.
What Can I Do If I Was Affected By A Paragard IUD?
What Can I Do If I Was Affected By a Paragard IUD?
If you have been affected by Paragard IUD, you may be wondering how to proceed. The first step that you should take if you are experiencing negative health effects that may be caused by your Paragard IUD is to seek medical attention. The possible injuries, infections, and other complications that you may be suffering from as the result of your Paragard IUD could, if not treated, prove life-threatening.
Other specific conditions associated with the Paragard IUD, such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), may result in serious, potentially irreversible outcomes—such as sterility. It is critical to reiterate: if you are experiencing adverse health outcomes that you suspect could be due to a Paragard IUD device, seek medical attention immediately.
Once you have received treatment for any ailments that you have been suffering from, you should have a better idea of whether your Paragard IUD device caused you harm. If you believe or know that this is the case, call a ParaGard IUD lawsuit lawyer.
A lawyer who is familiar with Paragard IUD lawsuits and medical device lawsuits, in general, can help you by:
- Navigating the legal system on your behalf
- Allowing you to focus on recovery while knowing that somebody is fighting for any compensation to which you may be are entitled
- Aiming to prove the negligence of those responsible for Paragard IUD-related harm that you have endured
- Collecting all available evidence that you were not properly informed of the risks associated with the Paragard IUD device by the doctors who advised you about and installed the device
- If your case involves medical error, aiming to prove that the harm you have suffered was inflicted by a specific medical professional
- Representing you throughout the entirety of your pursuit of compensation
The civil court system may allow you to obtain justice for the harm you have suffered. A ParaGard IUD lawsuit lawyer can guide your case through the appropriate legal avenues.
If you were harmed by a Paragard IUD, you were likely not fully aware of the possible risk that ultimately befell you. Failing to make you aware of this risk, or exposing you to a dangerous medical device in the first place, may qualify as medical professionals you worked with as negligent in the eyes of the court. You may be able to collect compensation for your losses.
Call Our Team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine Today
A lawyer can be a lifeline for you in a dark time. If you are coming to grips with harm you have suffered because of a Paragard IUD, then a lawyer can provide invaluable advice and services to help you move forward.
The team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine will:
- Ensure that you are protected from any further harm
- Help you find the medical treatment that you need to continue your recovery
- Obtain necessary documentation, including evidence of negligence and your resulting injuries, for use at trial or in settlement negotiations
- Provide responsive legal care
- Obtain the help of medical experts who can attest to any negligence that was perpetrated against you
- Go the extra mile in service of your pursuit of compensation
- Handle your case from start to finish
Do not underestimate the value that a ParaGard IUD lawsuit lawyer can provide you. Medical negligence cases can be overwhelming, especially as you may be facing mounting medical costs that ultimately stem from your Paragard IUD. But, we are here to help.
One or more parties may be responsible for your medical expenses and any other losses related to your Paragard IUD. We want to help you pursue any compensation that you deserve. Call our team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today at 1-800-747-3733 for a free discussion about your case.