If you or a family member is the victim of a drunk driving accident, you are probably in pain and suffering. You may be feeling overwhelmed, unsure of where to turn first.
But you are not alone.
The legal team at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine are here to help. If you have been injured or have lost a loved one because of a drunk driving accident, you have the right to hold that person responsible for your losses. Contact us today at 1 (800) 747-3733 for a free, no-obligation review of your case. A drunk driving accident lawyer in West Little River, FL, on our team is standing by and ready to help you right away.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accidents lawyer serving West Little Rive, call (800) 747-3733
Types of Accidents Caused by Drunk Drivers
Drunk drivers who get behind the wheel are a danger to themselves and others, as the alcohol impairs their vision and causes disorientation. Over 5,000 alcohol-related accidents happen every year according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), many of which result in severe injuries and even fatalities. All of them preventable.
The common types of accidents that happen as a result of drunk driving include:
- Head-on collisions: this commonly happens because drunk drivers fall asleep at the wheel and accidentally veer into oncoming traffic.
- Rear-end collisions: because the driver’s response time is substantially slower, it is hard for him to react quickly if traffic comes to a sudden–and perhaps unexpected–stop.
- Pedestrian: a drunk driver’s vision is compromised, making it difficult to see pedestrians, especially at night. With nothing to protect him from the motor vehicle, pedestrians usually suffer catastrophic injuries or death as a result of the accident.
- Wrong-way wrecks: it is easy for an intoxicated driver to become disoriented or have difficulty comprehending traffic signs. This makes it easy for him to start driving the wrong way down a one-way street or drive up the exit ramp to a highway, causing an accident.
Impaired vision and disorientation are not the only side effects of intoxication. There is often a mistaken belief, on the part of the drunk driver, that they are in perfect control, even though their judgment is clearly impacted. It is for this reason that speeding is also common among drunk driving accidents.
The combination of impaired vision, disorientation, and excessive speeds often result in serious, life-altering injuries, and even death. Some of the injuries that commonly occur as a result of drunk driving accidents include:
- Head trauma, including concussions, skull fractures, and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Muscle, tendon, and ligament sprain, strain, and tearing
- Neck and back injuries like whiplash and herniated disks
- Broken bones and lacerations
These injuries often require extended periods off work as well as costly surgeries, hospital stays, and rehabilitation. In some instances, the injuries from the accident are fatal.
West Little Rive Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 747-3733
Shocking Statistics Highlight the Dangers of Drunk Driving
The most recent statistics released by the state of Florida about accidents related to drunk driving paint an alarming picture. According to the FLHSMV, there were:
- 5,125 accidents where alcohol was the confirmed cause
- 374 fatalities resulting from those accidents
- 3,035 injuries from alcohol-related crashes
- 355 alcohol and drug confirmed crashes
- 274 drug and alcohol confirmed fatalities
If you or a family member has been injured or lost a life because of an alcohol-related crash, you have the right to hold the negligent party responsible for their actions. For a free, no-obligation review of your case, contact a drunk driving accident lawyer in West Little River, FL at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine at 1 (800) 747-3733.
Types of Losses You Could Recover in Your Claim
The state of Florida allows you to pursue both economic and non-economic losses related to your case. These include:
- Medical expenses, including ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and any required medical equipment
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Inability to enjoy life
Sometimes the injuries sustained in a drunk driving accident are so severe that the victim does not survive. If this happens, there are specific losses that a family can pursue related to the victim’s death. They include:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of wages and benefits
- Loss of support and protection
In some cases, such as DUI cases, the driver behaved with such negligence that the court will award punitive damages. These are meant to punish the driver for gross negligence more than award the victim with more financial compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Florida’s Statute of Limitations Could Impact Your Claim
All states place limits on the amount of time you may pursue compensation in personal injury accidents. The state of Florida is no different. You have a limited amount of time to seek losses for personal injuries under FL § 95.11. If the injuries sustained in a crash were fatal, the family’s time to pursue losses begins on the date of the death.
Contact a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer in West Little River, FL
Pursing a claim for losses caused by a drunk driver can be complicated. A lawyer can help you navigate the process, taking the burden of pursuing compensation off your shoulders. Some of the specific ways a lawyer can help include:
- Investigating your claim and gathering evidence, such as police reports, witness statements, and medical reports
- Providing the 24/7 support you need during this challenging time
- Establishing liability in the case
- Negotiating with insurance companies to the fullest extent of your injuries
- Fighting for your right to pursue losses in court
Contact the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine today if you are ready to get started or would like a free case evaluation with one of our drunk driving accident lawyers in West Little River, FL. The right lawyer can make all the difference during this challenging time. We have worked on claims like yours before and are proud of the results we have achieved in those cases. Call us at 1 (800) 747-3733 for your free consultation.