When you’ve experienced a concussion or other head injury due to someone else’s negligence, it’s frightening, but you’re not alone. The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine have seen the impact that head injuries and concussions can have on someone’s life.
The effects of head injuries can be some of the most serious and longest lasting personal injuries; victims of these injuries may face years, if not a lifetime, worth of pain and suffering. Call us at 1-800-747-3733 to schedule your free, no-obligation case evaluation with a head and concussion injury lawyer in Jacksonville.
The Physical, Emotional & Financial Effects of Brain Injuries
Brain injury is a blanket term for anything that inflicts temporary, long-term, or permanent damage to your brain. A concussion is usually a milder type of head injury, but it can be a life-altering or life-threatening condition nonetheless. Sometimes even subtle symptoms interfere with your quality of life, and others don’t even appear right away.
Possible complications include:
- Post-concussion syndrome (painful headaches, memory loss, confusion, and dizziness)
- General cognitive decline
These symptoms and complications can have significant and wide-ranging effects:
Mounting Medical Bills
Medical bills start piling up after a severe injury, especially if it has lasting effects and requires long-term care.
Effects on Ability to Work and Earn a Living
Some people find their head injury prevents them from returning to work for weeks or months. Some are only able to return on a part-time basis. Others can no longer perform the tasks they once did and must switch careers. And still others cannot work at all.
Emotional & Psychological Effects
A head injury might cause depression and anxiety. Some experience mood or behavioral changes as a result of a head injury. In any case, it might have an effect on one’s relationships, quality of life, and more.
Liability for an Accident That Causes a Severe Head Injury
Proving your head injury or concussion was avoidable if not for another party’s negligence is an important part of establishing liability.
- Car Accident Liability: If a negligent driver caused a wreck in which you suffered a severe head injury, the driver may be liable for your injuries.
- Slip and Fall Liability: If you slipped and fell on another party’s property (a residence, store, office building, etc.), then the property owner or manager may be liable. You would need to prove the defendant knew or should have knew of the dangerous condition and failed to correct it or warn of it.
- Liability for Other Types of Accidents: Regardless of the type of accident, the circumstances of the case will dictate liability. If another party was negligent, and that party’s negligence led to your head injury, then that party may be liable for your financial, physical, and emotional damages.
Recoverable Damages for a Head Injury or Concussion Claim
What these cases come down to is what you’ve lost or the expenses you face due to the negligence of someone else.
- Emergency transportation
- Medical examination/tests
- Bills from a hospital stay
- Lost time at work
- Physical therapy
- Ongoing medical treatment, including prescription medications
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional suffering
- Physical limitations
- Anxiety, depression, insomnia, and symptoms of PTSD from the accident
If you file an injury claim against a person or company for your head injury, you’re probably going up against a big insurance company with adjusters and attorneys on their staff. That is why we recommend working with a lawyer to help you pursue compensation for your damages.
As our client, the head injury and concussion injury lawyers in Jacksonville at the Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine have your best interests in mind throughout the entire process. We know how to navigate the complicated nature of head injury cases, which can be more complex because of the long-term implications associated with some of these injuries.
Call us now at 1-800-747-3733 so we can take the burden of handling your head and concussion injury claim off your shoulders.