If you got hurt in an accident in Green Cove Springs, Florida, the law allows you to go after compensation for your losses. Your damages in a personal injury claim can include lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other losses. A personal injury lawyer in Green Cove Springs, Florida can help you pursue compensation from the negligent party.
We Handle All Types of Personal Injury Cases in Green Cove Springs, FL
We help injured people after all different types of accidents. Here are some examples of cases we accept:
- Dog bites
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle and bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bus, truck, and RV accidents
- Slip and fall injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Product liability
- Construction accidents
- Wrongful death
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Defective product accidents
- Boat collisions and other boating accidents
- Pool accidents, drownings, and near-drownings
Damages You Can Recover in Your Personal Injury Case
Since every case is different, we will need to talk with you and evaluate your case to give you an idea of the kinds of compensation you can pursue in your claim. Even when two people get hurt in the same accident, one person can have more damages than the other because their injuries might be more extensive.
Some common types of damages in personal injury cases include:
- Medical expenses. Florida law allows you to go after compensation for treatment you needed for your injuries. You may be entitled to compensation for things like ambulance transportation, urgent care center, emergency room, hospital, doctors, diagnostic procedures like lab work, x-rays and other imaging tests, surgery, prescription drugs, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages, for the income you missed because of the accident and recuperation time. Lost wages can also include wages, salary, self-employment, and other forms of income.
- Rehabilitation center, if you sustained catastrophic injuries, like traumatic brain injury or spinal cord damage, that caused you to need intensive medical care at a specialized treatment facility.
- Long-term care, when devastating injuries cause a victim to need daily assistance with medical treatments and personal care.
- Lessened earning capacity, when injuries cause a person to make less money after the accident than before.
- Disability, when a person’s injuries render him incapable of supporting himself through gainful employment.
- Pain and suffering, for the physical discomfort and emotional anguish the victim experienced.
- Other intangible damages, like disfigurement, depression and anxiety, loss of enjoyment of life, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and a spousal claim for loss of consortium.
What We Have to Prove in Personal Injury Cases
In personal injury cases, the defendant usually must be at fault to be liable to pay compensation. We have to prove the following to establish liability:
- Duty of care. Everyone has a duty to behave in a certain manner. By way of example, when you operate a motor vehicle on the roads, the law requires that you drive with caution and follow the rules of the road.
- Breach of the duty of care. If the defendant failed to live up to their legal duty of care, it is negligence. Let’s say that an impatient driver failed to yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic when they were turning left. Their failure to follow the law is negligence.
- Causation. The at-fault driver’s negligence must be the cause of your injuries. The defendant’s failure to yield the right-of-way caused a collision that hurt you.
- Damages. You have injuries and expenses from the accident.
What to Do After an Accident in Green Cove Springs, Florida
There are steps you can take to safeguard your health and protect the value of your personal injury claim. The actual process in a given case will depend upon the facts of that situation, but in general, is a good idea to do these things after an accident:
- Get medical care right away. The quicker you treat an injury, the better the outcome. Many injuries can worsen with delayed treatment. Also, we will use your medical records as valuable evidence to link your injuries to the accident. If you wait a few days to seek a medical evaluation, the insurance company will argue that your injuries came from some other event and not the accident.
- Talk to a personal injury lawyer in Green Cove Springs as soon as possible. Florida law imposes deadlines for taking action to seek compensation for someone else’s negligence. If you miss the deadline, the law will not allow you to go after your losses.
- Complete your medical treatment. Although it can be inconvenient to have to go to physical therapy for weeks on end, for example, if you do not follow your doctor’s recommendations, the insurance company will say that you could have healed up better than you did but for your actions.
What to Avoid After an Accident
Some people will stop at nothing to try to get out of paying for the harm they caused. To protect the value of your compensation claim, do not do these things after an accident:
- Do not post any information or comments about the accident, your injuries, or the defendant on social media. The insurance company can — and likely will — use your words against you in an attempt to devalue your claim.
- Do not accept an early, lowball offer from the insurance company. You should not settle your case before you complete medical treatment. If it turns out that you will have some residual impairment or need additional surgeries or other medical interventions, the insurance company will not pay you any more money after you have settled your claim.
- Do not give the insurance company a recorded statement without your lawyer’s prior approval. Insurance companies routinely use recorded statements as a way to try to pay injured people less money than they deserve. The insurer can twist your words and take things out of context.
Getting a Personal Injury Lawyer in Green Cove Springs, FL
The Law Offices of Anidjar & Levine handles personal injury cases on a contingency basis. In other words, we do not get paid legal fees until you get compensation. So, you do not have to pay upfront legal fees for us to help you.
Call us today at 1-800-747-3733 to get your free consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Green Cove Springs, FL.